OT: Why does the basketball board suck so much? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Why does the basketball board suck so much?

The problem this week with the MCW threads is that we have an off week, so people are just trying desperately to fill the void, and that's why you've got four or five threads all talking about the exact same freaking thing, and none of them are even remotely insightful or useful. Message boards are for people to offer opinions, of course, but at some point you have to back up some of those opinions with actual insight that goes beyond "I think so and so sucks and so and so should get more minutes!", and not just wildly speculate on things. What purpose does unsubstantiated speculation serve, other than talking to hear yourself speak?

By the way, regarding the "SU is a football school" thing, SU was a football school. Jim Boeheim combined with the decline of the SU football program has turned SU into a basketball school, in my opinion. But I love both sports with all my heart, so I continue to read both boards each day (leaning more toward whichever sport is in season, of course).

Lol...exactly my point. It happens on both sides whether people want to accept it or not.

No one's disputing that there are some idiotic threads here. It's about the totality of the boards.

Take conference realignment, for example. Many of the threads about that topic here involve people discussing AD revenue, market sizes, cable network implications, program branding, etc. On the hoops side when this topic is discussed I see almost none of that, just fluff.

Signal-to-noise.

All the political stuff is here as far as conferences go. That started in 2003 and kept it that way.

Hoops is pretty simple, we recruit 2 to 4 kids, they're all good and generally locked in early, and they go out and win 25 games year in and out. The biggest on the court question is if we press. I mean it's really quite basic.

Then the off the court stuff you have a group that looks the other way and another group that doesn't think college jocks can do some dumb stuff.

And then complaining about those that make an issue out of our schedule.

Just imagine what the bball side would look like if bjorn and nerlo were there still...scary thought right?

The problem this week with the MCW threads is that we have an off week, so people are just trying desperately to fill the void, and that's why you've got four or five threads all talking about the exact same freaking thing, and none of them are even remotely insightful or useful. Message boards are for people to offer opinions, of course, but at some point you have to back up some of those opinions with actual insight that goes beyond "I think so and so sucks and so and so should get more minutes!", and not just wildly speculate on things. What purpose does unsubstantiated speculation serve, other than talking to hear yourself speak?

By the way, regarding the "SU is a football school" thing, SU was a football school. Jim Boeheim combined with the decline of the SU football program has turned SU into a basketball school, in my opinion. But I love both sports with all my heart, so I continue to read both boards each day (leaning more toward whichever sport is in season, of course).

I think the walk-ons need more practice minutes...they really need to pick up and start scoring!! :rolleyes:

Just imagine what the bball side would look like if bjorn and nerlo were there still...scary thought right?

I miss Bjorn...he was funny and kept me entertained throughout the day...

All the political stuff is here as far as conferences go. That started in 2003 and kept it that way.

Hoops is pretty simple, we recruit 2 to 4 kids, they're all good and generally locked in early, and they go out and win 25 games year in and out. The biggest on the court question is if we press. I mean it's really quite basic.

Then the off the court stuff you have a group that looks the other way and another group that doesn't think college jocks can do some dumb stuff.

And then complaining about those that make an issue out of our schedule.

There's a lot to this. Way too much Pollyanna sentiment expressed over there by a very vocal minority. SU's coaches and players (with one or two exceptions) can do no wrong, Syracuse gets no respect from the press, yada yada yada. And the knee-jerk hostility directed toward new posters is unfortunate.

That's where the distinctions end, though. Each board has one noteworthy poster who offers insightful postgame analyses, one poster who provides great news links, a couple posters who offer good recaps, a number of people who contribute a lot of posts, and a number of people who write absurd and inflammatory things.

There's good reading to be had on both boards (though less so this week) and there's nonsense to be read on both boards.

This forum has the real fans.

I love SU Hoops but it is painful to read the BB Forum...but I broke the code and know to read any thread started by Jake.
This forum does have the real fans. It is a function of the football fanbase being culled from years of terrible play.

Last edited:
Here's the problem with the basketball board. Like others have said, the basektball team has so much success, it attracts a lot of bandwagon fans. The football team has been so bad, it attracts mostly the diehards. So the bandwagoners or newbies on the basketball board will sometimes say stupid stuff or start silly threads. BUT, there are a number of posters who consider themselves "good" posters that just make it worse becaus they trash the poster instead of just ignoring them or making a reasoned response. I bet just as many "good" posters get posts deleted as the bandwagoners. Instead of disagreeing or ignoring, there is a lot of pompous "you're an idiot" posts. That just takes things further into the toilet.

I just read the post for the first time of "what if DM takes the wisky job"...

and people are complaining on how bad the hoops board is?????

I just read the post for the first time of "what if DM takes the wisky job"...

and people are complaining on how bad the hoops board is?????

90% of that thread is mocking the abject stupidity of it.

On the hoops board 90% of it would be serious replies.

90% of that thread is mocking the abject stupidity of it.

On the hoops board 90% of it would be serious replies.
Was just about to post something along those lines.

1. I don't post a lot there so obvious disadvanatge

2. I don't see as much point in the BBall board. Really what is there to talk about? That might be the reason it isn't as fun. There is less strategy in BBall. We play a Zone that ain't changing. JB has 900 Ws so there isn't much to talk about there. He ain't changing and no one can argue he has been here too long. And this year there isn't even a playing time argument. There isn't a bench guy that is being "Boeheimed". Plus we are Top 5 so there is less to be angry about. All we can really do is pat ourselves on the back or argue about irrelevant things. As a fan it is much more fun, but as a poster on a discussion board, there is a lot less to talk about.

I agree with you. I can think of 5,000 stupid posts on the BB board but only 4,900 on the FB board. FB guys are the best.