OT: World cup | Syracusefan.com

OT: World cup

CaptainJ

Disembodied?
I know soccer doesn't get a lot of respect in the US like it does elsewhere, but did anyone catch the final match today? It's really something seeing a game going to 2 extra times and being decided one one beautiful goal. And to think the US only lost to the champions 1-0. I think this world cup did a lot for soccer.

I know soccer doesn't get a lot of respect in the US like it does elsewhere, but did anyone catch the final match today? It's really something seeing a game going to 2 extra times and being decided one one beautiful goal. And to think the US only lost to the champions 1-0. I think this world cup did a lot for soccer.

Not as nice as Julian Green's goal for the US against Belgium:

http://thebiglead.com/2014/07/01/ju...l-but-it-wasnt-enough-for-the-usa-vs-belgium/

I did not know the human leg could bend that way!!!

The problem for soccer is that everyone gets into the world cup for a month, and then completely forget that it exists the next day. Every world cup people say the same thing, "This world cup is going to start the rise of soccer", and it never happens.

It was a pretty good final, not great, but still entertaining enough to keep me watching all through it. But it was a pretty good tournament overall, I thought, with much more offense than in some past enterprises, and only a few really boring games - like the Netherlands-Argentina semi, which was onerous indeed. It was good for US soccer that they made it into the round of 16, and it seems Klinsmann has the program headed in the right direction.

The problem for soccer is that everyone gets into the world cup for a month, and then completely forget that it exists the next day. Every world cup people say the same thing, "This world cup is going to start the rise of soccer", and it never happens.

I couldn't disagree more. Back in 1994, the World Cup being held here kind of reawakened my interest in soccer after I quit playing it in middle school (for reference the 94 WC was the summer before my senior year in high school). At the time,though, the interest kind of floundered. MLS just didn't really appeal to me and coverage of the "big" leagues in Europe was non-existent then, unless you had satellite TV. I didn't really learn about the EPL until I saw Eric Cantona kicking a fan during a game on Sportscenter. Yeah a couple friends and I would play FIFA95 or FIFA96 in the dorms, but even for someone thirsty for more soccer there wasn't much around. As such soccer kind of slipped back into obscurity for me. I honestly don't remember a thing about the 1998 World Cup, and for 2002 I was busy in the Army.

In summer 2006 I had a lot of downtime after my second Iraq deployment and rediscovered my interest in the game. England was my adopted team. I watched the US of course, but more out of obligation than passion if I'm being honest. Living in Georgia at the time, I didn't get the impression any around carried about the World Cup, other than an English guy that hung out at the bar across from my apartment.

In August 2006 I visited a friend in Turkey and was amazed to see a Premiership game on live TV. I remember it so distinctly because I'd never seen an EPL match live. Again, the interest was there, but there still wasn't much availability to satisfy it.

A year later, in 2007, Fox Soccer Channel was available in my area and holy crap, live EPL soccer! Much to my surprise once I actually got to watch teams live I'd previously only casually followed over the internet, I was really drawn to Chelsea.

This was around the time I'd say the sport really started to explode. A bar opened in Albany, that aggressively marketed itself as a soccer bar to watch live games and it was a huge success. Watching the USMNT's improbable run of games in the Confederations Cup catapulted international soccer to my favorite sport, yes, that includes college basketball. I watched the CONFED Cup final there with about 150 American fans and about 30 Brazilians. A guy that showed up late told me they couldn't find the bar at first but then heard a USA chant and found it by sound. All of a sudden the big club teams in Europe were playing exhibition tours in the US. They weren't just filling MLS stadiums, they were selling out NFL stadiums.

2010 - Landon Donovan's goal against Algeria was just more gasoline and already cooking fire.
2011-2012 the USMNT, long used to having to play home games in front of "away" crowds is actually starting to get true home crowds.
2013 - the EPL signs a TV deal with NBC sports.
2014 - We have the kind of outdoor viewing parties I was always jealous of when the showed cities in other countries during the World Cup.

I could go on but realized this post was turning into a novel.

TL;DR Version - As recent as 2006/7 you couldn't watch the Premier League without a satellite dish, now it's on NBC and teams come here to grow their American fan base. Mid-sized cities like Albany/Syracuse have thriving soccer cultures. MLS is quietly and steadily growing. I'm not saying soccer is going to take over or rival the NFL or NBA, but the growth I've seen in its popularity since 1994 is breathtaking.

The World Cup isn't going to start the rise of soccer. The rise already happened.

I couldn't disagree more. Back in 1994, the World Cup being held here kind of reawakened my interest in soccer after I quit playing it in middle school (for reference the 94 WC was the summer before my senior year in high school). At the time,though, the interest kind of floundered. MLS just didn't really appeal to me and coverage of the "big" leagues in Europe was non-existent then, unless you had satellite TV. I didn't really learn about the EPL until I saw Eric Cantona kicking a fan during a game on Sportscenter. Yeah a couple friends and I would play FIFA95 or FIFA96 in the dorms, but even for someone thirsty for more soccer there wasn't much around. As such soccer kind of slipped back into obscurity for me. I honestly don't remember a thing about the 1998 World Cup, and for 2002 I was busy in the Army.

In summer 2006 I had a lot of downtime after my second Iraq deployment and rediscovered my interest in the game. England was my adopted team. I watched the US of course, but more out of obligation than passion if I'm being honest. Living in Georgia at the time, I didn't get the impression any around carried about the World Cup, other than an English guy that hung out at the bar across from my apartment.

In August 2006 I visited a friend in Turkey and was amazed to see a Premiership game on live TV. I remember it so distinctly because I'd never seen an EPL match live. Again, the interest was there, but there still wasn't much availability to satisfy it.

A year later, in 2007, Fox Soccer Channel was available in my area and holy crap, live EPL soccer! Much to my surprise once I actually got to watch teams live I'd previously only casually followed over the internet, I was really drawn to Chelsea.

This was around the time I'd say the sport really started to explode. A bar opened in Albany, that aggressively marketed itself as a soccer bar to watch live games and it was a huge success. Watching the USMNT's improbable run of games in the Confederations Cup catapulted international soccer to my favorite sport, yes, that includes college basketball. I watched the CONFED Cup final there with about 150 American fans and about 30 Brazilians. A guy that showed up late told me they couldn't find the bar at first but then heard a USA chant and found it by sound. All of a sudden the big club teams in Europe were playing exhibition tours in the US. They weren't just filling MLS stadiums, they were selling out NFL stadiums.

2010 - Landon Donovan's goal against Algeria was just more gasoline and already cooking fire.
2011-2012 the USMNT, long used to having to play home games in front of "away" crowds is actually starting to get true home crowds.
2013 - the EPL signs a TV deal with NBC sports.
2014 - We have the kind of outdoor viewing parties I was always jealous of when the showed cities in other countries during the World Cup.

I could go on but realized this post was turning into a novel.

TL;DR Version - As recent as 2006/7 you couldn't watch the Premier League without a satellite dish, now it's on NBC and teams come here to grow their American fan base. Mid-sized cities like Albany/Syracuse have thriving soccer cultures. MLS is quietly and steadily growing. I'm not saying soccer is going to take over or rival the NFL or NBA, but the growth I've seen in its popularity since 1994 is breathtaking.

The World Cup isn't going to start the rise of soccer. The rise already happened.

I probably watched every game of the 94 world cup, even went to the italy/bulgaria semifinal game at giants stadium. I remember saying to myself that I would try to to watch as much soccer as I could after the world cup, do you know the next time I put a soccer game on? The 98 world cup.

I watched a ton of soccer during this world cup, and quite honestly the next soccer game I turn on will probably be in 2018. It has a small following in the usa, but quite frankly once this world cup is over, the average sports fan will forget about the sport.

I'm not denying that a lot of people won't forget about soccer until 2018, they will. It's nothing like the kind of interest fall off you see with Olympic sports.

With that said, in 2013 MLS had higher average attendance than the NHL. Soccer is bigger than hockey now, and that is pretty amazing considering what the sports landscape looked like 20 years ago.

Average final tbh.

Two teams with high talent quotients leveling each other out. Argentina impressed me this tourney with their defense while being offensively... well offensive. First time I've ever said that. The difference was conditioning Nd the level of play from the subs on both sides. Aguero was poor, Goetze was not.

Two teams with high talent quotients leveling each other out. Argentina impressed me this tourney with their defense while being offensively... well offensive. First time I've ever said that. The difference was conditioning Nd the level of play from the subs on both sides. Aguero was poor, Goetze was not.

Germany started the game with a sub (Kramer) on the field, and he was injured Schurrle came in, and later on Goetze came in for Klose. On the replay of the goal I noticed it was Schurrle's run that set up Goetze, which seemed appropriate for Shurrle had been a dynamo for most of the game. Man, that's more than just lucky, that's some amazing depth. And giving the Golden Boot to Messi (yes, I know of his greatness :)) was a sentimental milk sop. Both the Argie goaltender and their magnificent defender Zabadela(?) who wore no. 4 contributed far more through the K/O stage, during which Messi didn't score a goal. I also thought the Argies were dirty. They put cheap shots on German players (Kramer, Schweinsteiger, et al) whenever they could.

Dude, English Premier League is on TV every weekend, Champions League is on during the week. MLS plays during the summer when your only other choices are baseball, golf and NASCAR. Other channels carry Spanish, French and Italian league games (BEIN Sports). If you enjoyed it, keep on watching. All the ratings are on the upswing in the US, not just for the World Cup.

Dude, English Premier League is on TV every weekend, Champions League is on during the week. MLS plays during the summer when your only other choices are baseball, golf and NASCAR. Other channels carry Spanish, French and Italian league games (BEIN Sports). If you enjoyed it, keep on watching. All the ratings are on the upswing in the US, not just for the World Cup.

I have no interest in any of those leagues. I am a huge mets fan, so I try to watch every game, other than that I don't have a whole lot of time or interest for any other sports in the summer. Lets be honest most people only care about the world cup.

I have no interest in any of those leagues. I am a huge mets fan, so I try to watch every game, other than that I don't have a whole lot of time or interest for any other sports in the summer. Lets be honest most people only care about the world cup.

At the end of the day we could argue all day about what "most" is and what "caring" is. If caring means trying to watch every game you can I'd hazard to say most people are only that devoted to one sport, if any.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom