OT: Wow.. along with Iceland, Fiji and Tasmania... | Syracusefan.com

OT: Wow.. along with Iceland, Fiji and Tasmania...

... Buffalo makes the NY Times list of "52 Places to Visit in 2018." I can't help but wonder what I missed the two times I was there recently.

52 Places to Go in 2018

Sonnary doesn't hate many things... but boy does she hate the city of Buffalo. Found that out Sunday lol

I might stop at Duff’s for some wings on my way to Toronto. That’s about it though.

I have been to Duff's 3 times. Not a fan.
Went to the Anchor Bar once. Thought the wings were great.
To each their own

I went there when I was in Buffalo for round 1 and 2 of the NCAA’s in 2010 and loved it. Didn’t make it to Anchor Bar though.

Love Iceland ( bicycled it 4 times) but it’s now overrun with tourists and it’s stretching their infrastructure. I wouldn’t put Buffalo ahead of it though.

I went there when I was in Buffalo for round 1 and 2 of the NCAA’s in 2010 and loved it. Didn’t make it to Anchor Bar though.
If people loved Buffalo in 2010 they will love it more the next time we play there. There are two relatively new Marriott's as part of the new sports complex (Harborcenter) downtown area next to where our games were. Plus there are a bunch of new bars down there as well. Plus the Canalside/Outer Harbor is very nice is the warmer weather. Put me down as a fan of what our tax dollars bought.
https://www.canalsidebuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/full_map-web.jpg

It's trendy to pick Buffalo for any of these lists. No clue why. The only people that really love Buffalo are people from Buffalo and their love of Buffalo is so bizarrely over the top it seems cult'ish in nature. I think they have enough energy though where if they don't surround you they can convince you it's awesome!

Such random lists - Oslo is blah and expensive. Unless you've been pretty much everywhere else, why go there? :) Or Buffalo? lolol

Buffalo has an amazing jazz scene. Still top 50.

It's trendy to pick Buffalo for any of these lists. No clue why. The only people that really love Buffalo are people from Buffalo and their love of Buffalo is so bizarrely over the top it seems cult'ish in nature. I think they have enough energy though where if they don't surround you they can convince you it's awesome!

Such random lists - Oslo is blah and expensive. Unless you've been pretty much everywhere else, why go there? :) Or Buffalo? lolol
I've met a lot of people from Buffalo and without exception they really liked living there. I don't think I'd put it on any vacation list however.

Some significant architecture in Buffalo. A couple few Frank Lloyd Wright buildings.

A number of really nice candy shops.

Basilicata (my relatives came from there) number 3.

Some significant architecture in Buffalo. A couple few Frank Lloyd Wright buildings.

Had my first sponge candy a week ago.

There's extra perceived appeal to places that have a half-century-old reputation as burned-out dumps. Cleveland! Baltimore! Pittsburgh! Now it's Buffalo's turn to be surprisingly hip (read 'not as much of a hell-hole as popular culture would suggest').

I happen to like those old Rust Belt cities; cool architecture, culture, and food. It's all about the expectations - they aren't New York or San Francisco, but they've got some nice assets in their own right. And Buffalo's seen a ton of public and private investment in its downtown in the last decade or so. It's probably in better shape than it's been in 40 or 50 years.

There's extra perceived appeal to places that have a half-century-old reputation as burned-out dumps. Cleveland! Baltimore! Pittsburgh! Now it's Buffalo's turn to be surprisingly hip (read 'not as much of a hell-hole as popular culture would suggest').

I happen to like those old Rust Belt cities; cool architecture, culture, and food. It's all about the expectations - they aren't New York or San Francisco, but they've got some nice assets in their own right. And Buffalo's seen a ton of public and private investment in its downtown in the last decade or so. It's probably in better shape than it's been in 40 or 50 years.
I recently spent 6 days in SF. Give me a Beef on Weck anytime instead.

Downtown Buffalo’s made significant strides towards a comeback the past 3-5 years. Seems to be a bit of a young professional cultural boom going on.

Don't slag on La Buff. You need to visit there with someone from there. Lots and lots to do and see.

Just curious which candy shops you like best. My coworker's brother-in-law happens to own one there. He gets us sponge candy for X-mas.

Having lived in Buffalo for 2 and a half years now, my biggest observation regarding the people of Buffalo: if the citizens of Syracuse had half as much civic pride as the people of Buffalo, the city would be in a much better position.

A side note/shameless plug: I picked up a hobby when I moved out here and was looking for something to do and created an Instagram account called History of Buffalo, where I take photos of buildings around the city and provide some historical information on them (I borrowed the idea for this from my friend who started and runs the Syracuse History Instagram account). Anyway, if anyone is interested in checking it out, click away. This city definitely has some amazing old architecture.

History of Buffalo (@historyofbuffalo) • Instagram photos and videos

Having lived in Buffalo for 2 and a half years now, my biggest observation regarding the people of Buffalo: if the citizens of Syracuse had half as much civic pride as the people of Buffalo, the city would be in a much better position.

A side note/shameless plug: I picked up a hobby when I moved out here and was looking for something to do and created an Instagram account called History of Buffalo, where I take photos of buildings around the city and provide some historical information on them (I borrowed the idea for this from my friend who started and runs the Syracuse History Instagram account). Anyway, if anyone is interested in checking it out, click away. This city definitely has some amazing old architecture.

History of Buffalo (@historyofbuffalo) • Instagram photos and videos
Moving there in less than two years - thanks!

From Saratoga? Moving after retiring?
Saratoga has been in the rear view mirror for awhile - though I looked at the current value of the house I sold (yikes!). Delmar currently - moving when wife retires. Future will include two snowbird months in Florida near my son. That's the plan Stan.

Saratoga has been in the rear view mirror for awhile - though I looked at the current value of the house I sold (yikes!). Delmar currently - moving when wife retires. Future will include two snowbird months in Florida near my son. That's the plan Stan.

Gotcha. I like Delmar a lot. My sis lives in Albany near Albany Academy and has been looking at Delmar or farther out for the next house.

These list always have such obscure cities with Canada and the United States. while everything else outside of North America seems interesting. I guess they are looking for new places for people to visit because everybody has been to a Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver in Canada, or a New York City, LA, Chicago in the States.

Last year Canada was #1 (or close to it) on the list because of the 150th birthday year. They got us back this year... by only putting Saskatoon, Saskatchewan of all places. My suggestion is if you are coming to Canada for some vacation time, do not go to Saskatoon.