OT: Wow.. along with Iceland, Fiji and Tasmania... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Wow.. along with Iceland, Fiji and Tasmania...

Just curious which candy shops you like best. My coworker's brother-in-law happens to own one there. He gets us sponge candy for X-mas.

Parkside was the first candy shop in Buffalo that I tripped over back when I used to go to Buffalo for biz a few decades ago. Since then I've tried Mike's Candies (very good), Wahl's candies (also very good), Bella Mia Chocolate Shop (I'm a chocoholic).

There are 2-4 others that are as good or almost as good.

Having lived in Buffalo for 2 and a half years now, my biggest observation regarding the people of Buffalo: if the citizens of Syracuse had half as much civic pride as the people of Buffalo, the city would be in a much better position.

A side note/shameless plug: I picked up a hobby when I moved out here and was looking for something to do and created an Instagram account called History of Buffalo, where I take photos of buildings around the city and provide some historical information on them (I borrowed the idea for this from my friend who started and runs the Syracuse History Instagram account). Anyway, if anyone is interested in checking it out, click away. This city definitely has some amazing old architecture.

History of Buffalo (@historyofbuffalo) • Instagram photos and videos
Great job with the site!

Great job with the site!

Agreed! Very well done. Love the photo of the Connecticut Street Armory. I've done work with the Environmental Office of the New York Guard and have heard about this building for years. Love the old armories built like that.

Interesting list.

I spent 5 years in Buffalo and loved it. Buffalo is unfairly judged as a dump by many until they spend some time there.

Whoever mentioned Buffalonians and civic pride absolutely nailed it. Those people love love Buffalo and its quirks. I do not recommend non-Buffalonians trashing Buffalo to people from there. It tis known as the city of good neighbors and people do look out for one another.

Buffalo is definitely experiencing a bit of a cultural and economic revival after years of spiraling downwards. Great architecture and infrastructure as the city was built to handle many more people than live there now.

Really good food city. Tempo in Allentown is one of my favorite places to eat (upscale but won't break the bank). I prefer Duffs to Anchor Bar for wings but actually enjoy Gabriel's Gate wings just as much.

A couple of Wright's Buffalo houses...

Darwin D. Martin house

ccea5f7ea2e0ec018c865388db7d48ae.jpg

Greycliff...

tc.jpg

Agreed! Very well done. Love the photo of the Connecticut Street Armory. I've done work with the Environmental Office of the New York Guard and have heard about this building for years. Love the old armories built like that.

Thanks! It's been fun researching the history of the city. I've learned a lot.

I think your first picture is Greycliff from a different angle. This is the Darwin Martin House

I think you're right. The two pictures do look a little too similar.

I've met a lot of people from Buffalo and without exception they really liked living there. I don't think I'd put it on any vacation list however.

Haha, that's half the reason I hate Buffalo! People from Buffalo love it the point of being obnoxious. You can't even chat with them casually! Rochester/Syracuse people don't suffer from that affliction...at least to that extent.

I had the best pizza in NYC this weekend! Nooooooo, the best pizza is in buffalo!

I saw the best sunset on vacation in Hawaii. Noooooooooo, the best sunsets are in buffalo!

I was just in Paris, it's beyond beautiful, I was on this one street (interrupting) Nooooooooooo, the nicest street ever is in Buffalo!

They have the nicest/greatest everything. lol

Haha, that's half the reason I hate Buffalo! People from Buffalo love it the point of being obnoxious. You can't even chat with them casually! Rochester/Syracuse people don't suffer from that affliction...at least to that extent.

I had the best pizza in NYC this weekend! Nooooooo, the best pizza is in buffalo!

I saw the best sunset on vacation in Hawaii. Noooooooooo, the best sunsets are in buffalo!

I was just in Paris, it's beyond beautiful, I was on this one street (interrupting) Nooooooooooo, the nicest street ever is in Buffalo!

Wait, what? I absolutely think Rochesteronians suffer from the same affliction. They LOVE rochester and want to move back there as soon as they can...

The easiest way to trigger someone from Rochester is to say Wegmans is overrated...

I will say that Buffalonians severely overate Buffalo pizza. Not thin like NY or as thick as Chicago. Too doughy for my taste. Bocce has very good pizza but not great. I'll take Syracuse pizza every day over Buffalo za. And Labatts is not a top notch beer. It is slightly better than Bud or Miller so they need to stop with that.

They do have very good wings, chicken finger subs, Friday fish frys, and beef on wek sandwiches though. Niagara Falls had some top notch Italian restaurants and a great bakery in Dicamillos.

And yes many of them do have an inferiority complex.

Rochester was riding high in the late 50's, 60's, and early 70's.

Kodak...50,000 employees in Rochester alone back then.
Xerox.
Bausch + Lomb
Taylor Instrument
Hickey Freeman... Among others.

They were a little insufferable.

If people loved Buffalo in 2010 they will love it more the next time we play there. There are two relatively new Marriott's as part of the new sports complex (Harborcenter) downtown area next to where our games were. Plus there are a bunch of new bars down there as well. Plus the Canalside/Outer Harbor is very nice is the warmer weather. Put me down as a fan of what our tax dollars bought.
https://www.canalsidebuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/full_map-web.jpg
They need some more rest rooms IMO.

Next time I'm in Buffalo I'll give them a try...in fact I might try an online order. Looks good.
Speaking of candy shops what is/was the Syracuse one that introduced me to chocolate covered potato chips in the 70s?

Interesting list.

I spent 5 years in Buffalo and loved it. Buffalo is unfairly judged as a dump by many until they spend some time there.

Whoever mentioned Buffalonians and civic pride absolutely nailed it. Those people love love Buffalo and its quirks. I do not recommend non-Buffalonians trashing Buffalo to people from there. It tis known as the city of good neighbors and people do look out for one another.

Buffalo is definitely experiencing a bit of a cultural and economic revival after years of spiraling downwards. Great architecture and infrastructure as the city was built to handle many more people than live there now.

Really good food city. Tempo in Allentown is one of my favorite places to eat (upscale but won't break the bank). I prefer Duffs to Anchor Bar for wings but actually enjoy Gabriel's Gate wings just as much.
Don’t let people know about the Gate!! ;)

Teds Hot Dogs is a national treasure.

Having lived in Buffalo for 2 and a half years now, my biggest observation regarding the people of Buffalo: if the citizens of Syracuse had half as much civic pride as the people of Buffalo, the city would be in a much better position.

A side note/shameless plug: I picked up a hobby when I moved out here and was looking for something to do and created an Instagram account called History of Buffalo, where I take photos of buildings around the city and provide some historical information on them (I borrowed the idea for this from my friend who started and runs the Syracuse History Instagram account). Anyway, if anyone is interested in checking it out, click away. This city definitely has some amazing old architecture.

History of Buffalo (@historyofbuffalo) • Instagram photos and videos

Awesome job with the website. I have been in more than half of the buildings on your site.

These list always have such obscure cities with Canada and the United States. while everything else outside of North America seems interesting. I guess they are looking for new places for people to visit because everybody has been to a Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver in Canada, or a New York City, LA, Chicago in the States.

Last year Canada was #1 (or close to it) on the list because of the 150th birthday year. They got us back this year... by only putting Saskatoon, Saskatchewan of all places. My suggestion is if you are coming to Canada for some vacation time, do not go to Saskatoon.

especially in the winter......