OT - Yet again, Syracuse University raises tuition | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Yet again, Syracuse University raises tuition

A lot of this is to target "full freight" students, ie rich parents with mediocre kids and especially foreign students, who don't get aid.
a lot of people pay more than they should because their kid gets stuck on one school or they don't know to negotiate

It was hyperbole, but if the middle 50% ranges from 3.3 to 3.9, I'm certain there are accepted students with a high school GPA between 2.0 and 2.3. The bell curve is asymmetrical with this data, skewed high with a long (smaller, obviously) tail of low GPAs.
they want to be white knights and say look at what we did to help that kid at a lousy school with a low gpa but they have to ignore all the other kids in that range that they let in that couldn't do the work and leave with a bunch of debt and no degree

they want to be white knights and say look at what we did to help that kid at a lousy school with a low gpa but they have to ignore all the other kids in that range that they let in that couldn't do the work and leave with a bunch of debt and no degree

That's a real problem, but there's a worse middle ground: the creation of soft degree programs that don't fulfill either goal, liberal arts education or career training. That allows kids to eke by and give the university four years of tuition rather than burning out after only paying for a semester. At least they wind up with a degree, but of what value and at what reputational cost to the institution?

$7,800 then should be $28,000 now just based on inflation alone. Higher Ed is a ripoff.
It's not. The problem is that it's being treated more and more like a product you buy into by those who make the decisions instead of a service that is provided.

I think fewer people should go to 4-year universities. Drive down the demand for it. Go to community colleges, state schools, or better yet learn a trade and take night classes if you want the college education.

I think fewer people should go to 4-year universities. Drive down the demand for it. Go to community colleges, state schools, or better yet learn a trade and take night classes if you want the college education.
I think you will see more of this as more states make CC free.

holy crap, I think total cost of attendance when I attended in the 2nd half of the 1980s was like $25K. I am sending my oldest off to college in San Diego this fall, I wanted to hang myself with the $40K COA there, this makes me feel a bit better.

Sadly, unless he's on a scholly, we won't be having 3rd generation attend Syracuse. Just not worth it. Ridiculous.

Or at least do the first 2 years of general ed courses at a community college and then transfer for your degree courses.

This is a confusing thread. A private school raises tuition, how can people say it’s too much?

Wouldn’t enrollment decide that? There are a million choices for education after high school.

Syracuse isn’t nearly a good enough school to justify that cost. Sorry. Especially when kids are getting bozo degrees for all that money.

My buddy texted me other day about this. Just go to esf. Get a stem degree and a lot of classes you take are even in Syracuse class rooms anyway.

I was very lucky both my parents worked there, to get free tuition. Even still I had thousands of dollars of loans for housing.
I used to get mad when I saw ESF kids I knew in my class. They were essentially paying 1/10th what I was paying for the same class.

Tuition, room and board in 1979 was $7,800. Now it’s over $70,000. It’s insane.
I graduated from SU in 1973. If my memory serves me, tuition rose from $1700 to $2800 during my four years. I paid for my first semester with my paper route money. The following years, I would pay for the first semester with summer job money (one summer working 100+ hours per week). Between a few student loans and help from my parents and SU, I graduated from SU. I was very fortunate to be debt free six months after graduating. I can't imagine today.

Problem is with foreign student demand China and India alone send tons of kids over, especially for technical and medical degrees.

Those of you with young kids, open up a 529 plan now if you can.

Also, there is a lot of scholarship money out there if you are willing to apply and do the work required to get it. My nephew got a bunch of small scholarships this way. His guidance counselor said that not many people apply for them. Got to ask the guidance counselor and put in the effort.

Not good value for the money. Private schools are pricing themselves out of the market. While I understand they have endowments that help offer the costs at some point it’s not sustainable. I graduated from SU with my MBA in 2005. I still have 13 years left on my student loans. I have it much better than most

other than newhouse and maybe maxwell, what does su offer that is worth that price tag, that you couldn't get somewhere else cheaper even paying oos tuition?????

Not good value for the money. Private schools are pricing themselves out of the market. While I understand they have endowments that help offer the costs at some point it’s not sustainable. I graduated from SU with my MBA in 2005. I still have 13 years left on my student loans. I have it much better than most

My son considered staying and getting his MBA before going into the workforce. That was until he saw the $90k price tag and that’s if he lived at home. Granted he’d probably get some scholarship money but still... So he’ll let an employer pay for it, if they have that benefit.

Lotta parents of C high school students from Long Island, New Jersey, and Connecticut are helping keep the place running. I'm not sure how much they contribute to the university beyond that.

They'll be there even after the bubble bursts, I assume, but SU has to be nervously eyeing the China situation. If those full-pays dry up, I don't know where SU will make up the revenue.
Newhouse school is far and away best in class.

The Orange Value fund is as impressive as it gets. Hired an intern from that program and the kid was an absolute home run.

This isn’t 1985 anymore. I am very impressed with the caliber of student that is enrolling at Syracuse these days.

Stevenson is right. You are wrong.

My son considered staying and getting his MBA before going into the workforce. That was until he saw the $90k price tag and that’s if he lived at home. Granted he’d probably get some scholarship money but still... So he’ll let an employer pay for it, if they have that benefit.
Agreed. MBA really only worth that kind of money if from top 15 school. Whitman improving but not there yet.

It really would behoove SU to discount their graduate program as much as possible to attract a better caliber student that doesn’t want to, or cannot afford to, pay Wharton prices.

Perhaps use the endowment to subsidize.

As caliber of student increases, ranking will increase and price hikes can follow.

Newhouse school is far and away best in class.

The Orange Value fund is as impressive as it gets. Hired an intern from that program and the kid was an absolute home run.

This isn’t 1985 anymore. I am very impressed with the caliber of student that is enrolling at Syracuse these days.

Stevenson is right. You are wrong.

Sure, anecdotal evidence trumps statistics.

Another winning take from you.

There aren’t any C students getting into Syracuse these days.

"Not if I can help it!"

aunt-becky-jesse-full-house.jpg

Agreed. MBA really only worth that kind of money if from top 15 school. Whitman improving but not there yet.

It really would behoove SU to discount their graduate program as much as possible to attract a better caliber student that doesn’t want to, or cannot afford to, pay Wharton prices.

Perhaps use the endowment to subsidize.

As caliber of student increases, ranking will increase and price hikes can follow.
I will say that when I got my MBA in 2005, I did receive a scholarship for half tuition. I lived at home and commuted. I still had $46k in student loans. While an MBA is nice, I didn’t get all that much out of it. It hasn’t been a boom to my career like I thought it would be. It’s probably because I’m working in Syracuse. You certainly need work experience to maximize your learning IMO. I would say that 75% of my class was foreign, mostly Chinese and Indian students. It certainly wasnt ideal, due to communication challenges, but I understand why Universities across the country are accepting them. They pay full tuition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom