OT - Yet again, Syracuse University raises tuition | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Yet again, Syracuse University raises tuition

Tuition here at UAF is around $8k, plus you'd have an excuse to visit Alaska. Send your kids up!

Can you get us a fake Alaska ID and tax return and address?

Capture.JPG

Sure, anecdotal evidence trumps statistics.

Another winning take from you.

All I am going to say to this is that if you, me and Big Sam (RIP) were to sit down and talk about SU's academic strengths and weaknensses, I am pretty confident that you would retract your "winning take" comment.

For now, I'll just concede the point and say that I have no idea what I'm talking about...

Another thing about higher education is that despite the exorbitant costs of tuition, it's still mostly adjunct faculty (i.e. non-tenured track) that do the actual teaching. And many of them literally are teetering on the poverty line and have to either get public assistance or work a second job to make ends meet.

I will say that when I got my MBA in 2005, I did receive a scholarship for half tuition. I lived at home and commuted. I still had $46k in student loans. While an MBA is nice, I didn’t get all that much out of it. It hasn’t been a boom to my career like I thought it would be. It’s probably because I’m working in Syracuse. You certainly need work experience to maximize your learning IMO. I would say that 75% of my class was foreign, mostly Chinese and Indian students. It certainly wasnt ideal, due to communication challenges, but I understand why Universities across the country are accepting them. They pay full tuition.

I agree with your statement that work experience helps. I actually got mine through Executive program when I was in my early 30s...

They pay full freight and getting yet another degree allows them to stay in the country while hoping for sponsorship...

I have both CFA and MBA and would be hard-pressed to tell you which has been more helpful...

I think an MBA gives you a baseline level knowledge that means less as you progress beyond your first job after receiving your degree (ie. not as meaningful when moving from job to job in terms of determining whether or not you get that next job) but appreciates in value as you can apply what you have learned to your job as you move up the ranks and, in theory, become more of a thinker (ie. strategic) rather than a doer (ie. tactical)...

Just my two cents.

I agree with your statement that work experience helps. I actually got mine through Executive program when I was in my early 30s...

They pay full freight and getting yet another degree allows them to stay in the country while hoping for sponsorship...

I have both CFA and MBA and would be hard-pressed to tell you which has been more helpful...

I think an MBA gives you a baseline level knowledge that means less as you progress beyond your first job after receiving your degree (ie. not as meaningful when moving from job to job in terms of determining whether or not you get that next job) but appreciates in value as you can apply what you have learned to your job as you move up the ranks and, in theory, become more of a thinker (ie. strategic) rather than a doer (ie. tactical)...

Just my two cents.
I would agree with this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom