Our bigs... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Our bigs...

I would love to see how many baby hooks fab had last year. It's not that many more then rak has . He caught a few more lobs and that's basically he did and needed to do .
he was still a factor - something we dont have now

he was still a factor - something we dont have now

Still when it comes down to it Rakeem Christmas and Baye Moussa Kieta aren't going to lead us to a Final Four. We go as Brandon Triche and Michael Carter-Williams go. If they play like they did against Pittsburgh uconn and Georgetown we should pack lightly .

Still when it comes down to it Rakeem Christmas and Baye Moussa Kieta aren't going to lead us to a Final Four. We go as Brandon Triche and Michael Carter-Williams go. If they play like they did against Pittsburgh uconn and Georgetown we should pack lightly .

didnt ever expect that anyway- but we are almost better off just playing 3 guards and 2 forwards- but we dont have any guards on the bench-

if we could just get them to play solid d and rebound- man i wish it was that simple

I agree with everything you said except the last sentence. MCW and Triche are averaging 4.4spg this year, Scoop/Dion averaged 3.2. While MCW certainly can be lazy at times closing out against shooters, Scoop was the same way. Triche isn't as good as Dion was, but he was better than Scoop; MCW/BT are longer, their getting more rebounds, and I think they bother shooters/PGs more than Scoop/Dion did. However Scoop and Dion were better in transition.

MCW and Triche are probably averaging a combined 73 or so minutes per game. Last year, Scoop and Dion probably averaged a combined 50 minutes per game.

At this point, I don't care it they only convert 40-45% of the time they get it. That's still better than our perimeter players. Nobody makes shots so they might as well all get an equal turn. I'd much rather miss a 5 foot hook shot than another 30 footer.

right and wrong at the same time.

they are missing bunnies that the perimeter players hand to them on a silver platter. they aren't creating a single point. if we are giving them a shooting percentage on shots they created a la slick rick or arinze, they would be less than 5% as a shooting percentage in BE play. Only Rak has created any points and I think it may be 2 or 4 in league play.

that being said, Triche and MCW's shot selection was maddening.

Ayegba impacted the game positively for his team, our 2 centers did not.

Wasn't our center the only one on the team with a positive plus/minus ??

MCW and Triche are probably averaging a combined 73 or so minutes per game. Last year, Scoop and Dion probably averaged a combined 50 minutes per game.
Per game stats are borderline worthless for just this reason. All the major sports sites list them that way, but it really should be per 40 or % possessions.

I agree with everything you said except the last sentence. MCW and Triche are averaging 4.4spg this year, Scoop/Dion averaged 3.2. While MCW certainly can be lazy at times closing out against shooters, Scoop was the same way. Triche isn't as good as Dion was, but he was better than Scoop; MCW/BT are longer, their getting more rebounds, and I think they bother shooters/PGs more than Scoop/Dion did. However Scoop and Dion were better in transition.
I took that last sentence to mean that they are not disruptive to the opposing team's zone while playing offense. That I agree with. MCW/Triche have the ability to slash to the basket a la Dion/Scoop, but for some reason some games when playing against a zone they just dribble around the outside and don't try and create something by getting to the hole. Even if it leads to FT city, I'll take it over 1 - 15 from 3.

Are killing us. Hard to play 4-on-5 On the offensive end. Gtown guarded the perimeter and doubled our wings with their "5". Until we get an offensive threat down low we are going to struggle to score if we don't get transition hoops.

Dajuan is the key. We don't need much, but enough to make teams pay for cheating off our "5".

F gtown.

DeJuan is key but he was playing less than 10 minutes per game. It's still infuriating to me that JB didn't play him 28/30 minutes a game early on and live with (or god forbid) coach him through his mistakes.

Either you work to pound the ball down low in the beginning of the season and take the early losses to get the team ready or you accept the fact that our centers won't be giving us a lot and work around it.

Either way, this isn't some abstract concept we are dealing with. If we know what we are likely to get from our bigs, then we have to work around that.

Blaming this season on our bigs is bogus. MCW is shooting 38% and 28% for FG/3FG, respectively. BT is 42% and 30%. However, they are averaging over 22 shots a game, including 8.5 threes a game. Those percentages combined with that shot volume means we are basically starting every single game in a hole.

We are going to win as our shots fall from BT and MCW, plain and simple, barring a wholesale change in our philosophy. Maybe we can see a flash of productivity from Rak / BMK from time to time, but that ship has passed.

This teams feels like a second round loss in the NCAA tourney right now.

One note, to be fair, it sure seems that BT is a PG forced to play the 2G. I can give him a bit of a pass, but not when he keeps chucking bricks like he did last game.

You can’t tell that bigmen come to su and forget how play. Do we even know how feed the post? We a need Big Man Coach ASAP!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom