Our crying need. A true center! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Our crying need. A true center!

Productivity is productivity IMO. Need a guy who has been productive rather than taking chances on kids who may have the 'look'.

Take a guy like Josh Cohen. He played 3 seasons at Saint Francis in PA, 5ppg, 12ppg, then blew up as a junior. 22 ppg, 8 rpg, shot 59% from the field. Player of the Year in the league.

Transferred to UMass - probably a level and a half up from the NEC - and is now averaging 16 ppg, 7 rpg, shooting 55% from the field.

He's 6-10, not super athletic but knows how to play, knows how to be productive. Had 19 pts, 7 rebs. vs. West Virginia. Could you ever see McLeod having 19 points and 7 rebounds against anyone? We probably could have had him if we tried but we took a kid that has far less production and was tall.

Kids are out there that can play, and at this point I do not believe we should be taking chances on kids who are 7-0 and athletic but can't produce points or rebounds,

Patterson, Hima, McLeod... they're all the same. Tall guys who can move a little bit, might be able to block a few shots, but have no transferrable basketball skills. Bad hands, no feel, no ball skills, very few post moves.
Let's go after him again, as he's got 1 year of eligibility left. If he can play C for us, that'd be a good fit alongsize Maliq/Donnie.

Surely between high school seniors, junior colleges, Canada and the portal there must be available a “ tall 6’10’ or more, strong with a decently heavy body, and rebounding and some shooting ability available.

I'm sure there are...

28a94dcc-6de9-4ba3-8607-350dc06bbe10_text.gif

Seems like a fairly reasonable prediction that Carey and Hima won't be on the roster next year and they will try and find a starting caliber Center in the portal.
I'm not sure that we want to have Carey move on. We will have the rosters spots to get what we want to get the guys we want. Let's give the kid a chance to develop more.

Is Freeman considered a 3 or a 4? We could definitely use another body but if we bring in a "true center" are we able to play him alongside Maliq and Freeman? Good problem to have with too much depth, but may impact the "ceiling" of the type of guy we can bring in.

Is Freeman considered a 3 or a 4? We could definitely use another body but if we bring in a "true center" are we able to play him alongside Maliq and Freeman? Good problem to have with too much depth, but may impact the "ceiling" of the type of guy we can bring in.
I think more of a 4 than a 3. But will probably play a little of both for us.

I would think we look for attributes more than specific position. I just mean a player who fits in the mold of a grant/gurrier/brissett wouldn’t be a center but would be a huge asset on the glass and on defense.

Our rebounding has suffered from not having a true center. But it’s also suffered because brown is a solid rebounder, Williams is/was a solid rebounder, bell is extremely limited as a rebounder and Taylor works hard and has a solid frame, but is a bit short and not overly athletic. When you add all of that up it’s a rough mix on the glass.

A really good center would be great but being able to put three tough rebounders on the floor at c/f spots would be really important.

I would think we look for attributes more than specific position. I just mean a player who fits in the mold of a grant/gurrier/brissett wouldn’t be a center but would be a huge asset on the glass and on defense.

Our rebounding has suffered from not having a true center. But it’s also suffered because brown is a solid rebounder, Williams is/was a solid rebounder, bell is extremely limited as a rebounder and Taylor works hard and has a solid frame, but is a bit short and not overly athletic. When you add all of that up it’s a rough mix on the glass.

A really good center would be great but being able to put three tough rebounders on the floor at c/f spots would be really important.
Jimmy Dykes said last night that we would be going hard in the portal for a big. I worry about losing Brown to the portal. I have to think last night helped us in keeping him. We need help. A big and a guard. Maybe a wing too. Williams won't be the last guy to leave the program

Why didn’t we recruit this kid out of high school?! He went to powerhouse prep school Monteverde academy.
He was a West coast kid. JB probably didn't want the assistants to bother, Bell being the exception. Bigger question how did he end up at Dayton?

My best guess for next year.
McCloud
Carey
Patterson
Brown
JJ
Cope
Bell
Cuffe
Frosh
Frosh
Taylor
Portal
Portal

McCloud JJ
Cuffe stay as they already transferred.
Hima
Judah are gone.

Who leaves
Taylor?

If that's the case and Carey stays we only have room for 1 kid other than the two incoming frosh

Jimmy Dykes said last night that we would be going hard in the portal for a big. I worry about losing Brown to the portal. I have to think last night helped us in keeping him. We need help. A big and a guard. Maybe a wing too. Williams won't be the last guy to leave the program
Maliq Brown should be our highest paid player via NIL next year. He will be all ACC.

McCloud
Carey
Patterson
Brown
JJ
Cope
Bell
Cuffe
Frosh
Frosh
Taylor
Portal
Portal

McCloud JJ
Hima
Judah are gone.

Who leaves
Taylor?

If that's the case and Carey stays we only have room for 1 kid other than the two incoming frosh
Westry?

Ops:)
Maybe Westry and beefy 6’10 C/F transfer assuming only Hima and Mintz leave. Should be loaded especially if Frosh and Westry can contribute. Can mix and match with anyone.

I'd love an Adama Sanogo type guy. Someone that could bring some physicality. I don't care that a guy like that doesn't project to the pros. He was the MOP in the tourney last year. If we can get a tall athletic ball handling shooting unicorn, great. If not, a more traditional type guy like him would do well with the right complementary pieces.

Are you serious? Why would Brown abandon Cuse now? We were one of or his only(?) P5 offer and our coaches have spent two years helping him develop. He will be a star here next season. You think he’ll simply chase the most NIL dollars? I would imagine he’d be a priority for us in getting him NIL money this off season.

Are you serious? Why would Brown abandon Cuse now? We were one of or his only(?) P5 offer and our coaches have spent two years helping him develop. He will be a star here next season. You think he’ll simply chase the most NIL dollars? I would imagine he’d be a priority for us in getting him NIL money this off season.
Maliq had 9 P6 offers

Sorry, that's called real life. There are jackarse's everywhere.
We've all dealt with "leadership" that are abrasive and/or severely misguided.

I just cannot stomach quitting whenever adversity strikes. How about playing to spite the coach you dislike so much? Then leave AFTER the season, which ends less than a month from now. Do it the right way. Be bigger than the coach you despise.

Rather, this guy quit, hurt his teammates and hindered his own development.
I would not even look at his tape if I were a college HC, let alone Red/SU.
I have to agree, can not stand quitters in the middle of something anything. Bad character trait.

McCloud
Carey
Patterson
Brown
JJ
Cope
Bell
Cuffe
Frosh
Frosh
Taylor
Portal
Portal

McCloud JJ
Hima
Judah are gone.

Who leaves
Taylor?

Why will Judah be gone? Certainly has not shown to be NBA ready. Talented yes NBA caliber no. Kids leave for their own reasons, but no way will he be an NBA first or second round choice.

Maybe Westry and beefy 6’10 C/F transfer assuming only Hima and Mintz leave. Should be loaded especially if Frosh and Westry can contribute. Can mix and match with anyone.
Maybe Carey, Taylor leave but I have to think the guys that already transferred in are staying which would include Hima unless he decides to retire due to injuries. Personally I don't think we add or loose more than 1 other player besides the two frosh coming in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom