Class of 2016 - Our current 2016 recruiting ranking | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Our current 2016 recruiting ranking

Alsacs

Living Legend
First I love Neal, Washington, Culpepper and all our commits. This seems like our best recent class but still isn't a top 35 class. Based on Jekelish has been saying we probably only have a few more spots in this class. I love that we have 14 commits and unlike last year they are higher quality.
With that said I don't get how this class buys SS another year if we don't go 5-7. I want Neal and Washington in the backfield, but this narrative SS is a great recruiter has to show better than a recruiting class in lower 40's.
What should our expectations be?

24-7 has us 46th
http://2-------47sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

R-ivals has us 50th
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/teamrank/2016/all/all

S cout has us 51st
http://www.s-------cout.com/college/football/recruiting/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2016

ESPN doesn't have us in their top 40

First I love Neal, Washington, Culpepper and all our commits. This seems like our best recent class but still isn't a top 35 class. Based on Jekelish has been saying we probably only have a few more spots in this class. I love that we have 14 commits and unlike last year they are higher quality.
With that said I don't get how this class buys SS another year if we don't go 5-7. I want Neal and Washington in the backfield, but this narrative SS is a great recruiter has to show better than a recruiting class in lower 40's.

24-7 has us 46th

R-ivals has us 50th

S cout has us 51st
http://www.s-------cout.com/college/football/recruiting/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2016

Because of the size of the class it will limit the ranking for the class. And recruiting isn't all about ranking. It has to be about providing depth for positions. I'm not as concerned as some about rankings as about recruiting solid, skill players that will continue to provide the depth this team needs.

Solid class. The staff is making great strides.

But we all know, we need to string together 4-5 top 40 classes to really turn things around.

24-7 has us 46th

R-ivals has us 50th

S cout has us 51st

I am certainly not a rankings expert nor do I care too much about recruiting rankings but

1. The composites weigh the more kids you have. If we had 22 kids our score would be higher. I.e Texas Tech Avg star rating is 2.61 and they are #25 on yahoo (ours is allegedly 2.5)
2. Individual rankings are skewed by the camps and such these kids go to
3. The funny thing to me is the % assigned to kids High vs low 3 star? What does that even mean.
4. No one at any of theses services has seen every kid and ranked them using the same criteria

That being said and many of said it - Look at the offers the kids are getting. Much better representation of the players individually. At the end of the day it is clear we are getting higher VALUED prospects. Plus the strategy being deployed is one that seeks out the type of person and player collectively.

Our schedule again has some room to won some games - but a slate of LSU, FSU and Clemson should temper a record based decision. I believe a coach should get a minimum of 5-6 years to implement all facets of his program. Recruiting, Coaching, systems etc. (Save for colossal failures see grob).

I know you are a very analytical poster but sometimes you have to peel the onion back.

24-7 has us 46th

R-ivals has us 50th

S cout has us 51st

Dude, chill. Seriously. The staff targeted the guys they wanted and went after them, and got a goodly portion of them. We're not even remotely close to settling for B-listers. At this point you're not faulting them for trying and failing - you are faulting them for accomplishing what they wanted to. If you're still not sold, just call for them to be fired and let's be done with it.

Our expectations should be wins on the field, and "recruiting rankings" are for shiite. Seriously, do you want us to be Maryland and make the staff's salaries contingent on recruiting rankings?

4. No one at any of theses services has seen every kid and ranked them using the same criteria
I think this is something that gets overlooked waaaaaay too often. It's different people rating these kids at different times. I could look at Moe Neal and rate him a 4 star, someone else is looking at different things than I am in the same film, and rates him a 3 star. It's never going to be consistent across the board, because people have different things they look for and, aside from that, simply have different perspectives and opinions.

I want to make clear this class is awesome and full of talent that I like. I am not saying it sucks or should be better. My point was illustrate that while its good for us its not elite nationally.

I want to make clear this class is awesome and full of talent that I like. I am not saying it sucks or should be better. My point was illustrate that while its good for us its not elite nationally.
But the "good for us" part is what should stand out. We're making strides, and I think 2017 is when you'll really see us take off in recruiting if we can start getting a few wins here and there. We're in tremendous position with some outstanding players.

Dude, chill. Seriously. The staff targeted the guys they wanted and went after them, and got a goodly portion of them. We're not even remotely close to settling for B-listers. At this point you're not faulting them for trying and failing - you are faulting them for accomplishing what they wanted to. If you're still not sold, just call for them to be fired and let's be done with it.

Our expectations should be wins on the field, and "recruiting rankings" are for shiite. Seriously, do you want us to be Maryland and make the staff's salaries contingent on recruiting rankings?
I think my statement isn't bad at all. I give praise my point is when I hear SS is a great recruiter I look at the numbers. Now Heater said it right I am an analytic guy I just want the record to reflect the actual ratings. I agree this class is full of impact players. I

But the "good for us" part is what should stand out. We're making strides, and I think 2017 is when you'll really see us take off in recruiting if we can start getting a few wins here and there. We're in tremendous position with some outstanding players.

ya but using the criteria of - Our subscription based, opinion biased, which camp you go to rankings are too low. Shafer has to go. and like at the end of this year so we lose the 16 class and the 17 class.

SMH - even sounded dumber when I typed it.

No.. you just want to kvetch about HCSS.
See this isn't right. I give the coaching staff praise whenever they do good. I don't get why saying I don't give this narrative that the SS is a great recruiter is calling the guy anything more than what the facts state. I could list the schools above with the same amount of recruiters and rebute what you said above but I don't want to get into that match because your mind is made up and mine is as well.

If you are mid 40's in recruiting it doesn't make you a good recruiter. It means we have upgraded from what DM was doing.

ya but using the criteria of - Our subscription based, opinion biased, which camp you go to rankings are too low. Shafer has to go. and like at the end of this year so we lose the 16 class and the 17 class.

SMH - even sounded dumber when I typed it.
If you think this is my point you are wrong. My point is don't call SS a great recruiter as one of pluses for getting more time. Recruiting has been on the up tick but its not justification for another year without decent results this year.

If you think this is my point you are wrong. My point is don't call SS a great recruiter as one of pluses for getting more time. Recruiting has been on the up tick but its not justification for another year without decent results this year.

See this isn't right. I give the coaching staff praise whenever they do good. I don't get why saying I don't give this narrative that the SS is a great recruiter is calling the guy anything more than what the facts state. I could list the schools above with the same amount of recruiters and rebute what you said above but I don't want to get into that match because your mind is made up and mine is as well.

If you are mid 40's in recruiting it doesn't make you a good recruiter. It means we have upgraded from what DM was doing.

There you go. You changed this from a discussion of recruiting rankings and where we think we will be into a kvetching of why HCSS should be canned.

Considering last season's 3-9 debacle, I think this staff is doing a remarkable job selling the program. I'm actually surprised that we're recruiting this well...quality FB players and more importantly, quality kids. Shaf and staff are building the program the right way.

Now...win some dam games.

There you go. You changed this from a discussion of recruiting rankings and where we think we will be into a kvetching of why HCSS should be canned.
Read my first post and tell me how I changed. My point was clearly outlined and then when people attack my point you really think my position changed. I said but this narrative SS is a great recruiter has to show better than a recruiting class in lower 40's if you can't figure out why I am saying that sorry.

Jeez my point was clear. I was being nice and actually bringing a point with it but you disagree. People can disagree your feelings about SS are not anymore right than mine. We are still in show me phase.

Considering last season's 3-9 debacle, I think this staff is doing a remarkable job selling the program. I'm actually surprised that we're recruiting this well...quality FB players and more importantly, quality kids. Shaf and staff are building the program the right way.

Now...win some dam games.
Fair enough. I want them to win games and shut me up. However, my point to begin with was fair even though people can and have disagreed.

I think my statement isn't bad at all. I give praise my point is when I hear SS is a great recruiter I look at the numbers. Now Heater said it right I am an analytic guy I just want the record to reflect the actual ratings. I agree this class is full of impact players. I
Being a great recruiter is subjective. If SS was doing the same recruiting at alabama he would be a horrible recruiter. At Syracuse, he is very good. And the guy that recruits 4 and 5 star players at Alabama may not be able to recruit near as well as SS at Syracuse.

I found it interesting to look at the 2 4 7 average ratings over the last 14 classes, including who the highest rated player in each class has been, and comparing our average player rating to some of our peer schools.

http://.com/orange-recruiting-operating-at-a-higher-level/

Being a great recruiter is subjective. If SS was doing the same recruiting at alabama he would be a horrible recruiter. At Syracuse, he is very good. And the guy that recruits 4 and 5 star players at Alabama may not be able to recruit near as well as SS at Syracuse.

Listen. Myself and a lot of others here will simply not come back here if you keep posting things that make sense. :)

It doesn't? It seems like pretty good recruiting for a team coming off of a 3-9 season, with a generally unproven coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball.

I think that using national rankings of the recruiting class as a stand alone barometer fails to account for context. Right now, we aren't perceived [generally] as a program with upward momentum, so a class in the 40s might more accurately be described as being indicative of very STRONG recruiting, given the situation.

We all recognize that we'll need to recruit better talent to theoretically win more games and improve the overall talent base / depth of the team. Which in turn could lead to more wins, which in turn could lead to even better recruiting, and so on.

But this is a process, not a individual snap shot in time. Getting out of the 60s into the 40s is an important step in the process. It doesn't just magically happen over night that you start reeling in top 20 classes.

We may have just landed the QB, RB, and hybrid offensive weapon we need to get over the hump in this class. If so, I don't care if the class is rated 45 instead of 38.

Reminds me of the guy on the main board saying "this is all well and good but we still need better players" ...

1. It's recruiting - until you're in the top 5, there's always room to complain.

2. You recruit one class at a time. This is a nice start (and I'm high on SS first two classes too). Nothing more, nothing less.

3. We already have done really nice kids in 2017. So it's momentum.

4. All that said - if we don't win, recruiting rankings don't matter at all. We need a good offense to go with our proven D. And w's. Lots of them.

Just ask uconn about that ace recruiter from ND they landed to be their head coach.

How's he doing recruiting sans the ND mystique behind him?