Class of 2016 - Our current 2016 recruiting ranking | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Our current 2016 recruiting ranking

Also - Burrell (4 star S) and Bo Peek would push the class to inside the top 40 or close to it...

Read my first post and tell me how I changed. My point was clearly outlined and then when people attack my point you really think my position changed. I said but this narrative SS is a great recruiter has to show better than a recruiting class in lower 40's if you can't figure out why I am saying that sorry.

Jeez my point was clear. I was being nice and actually bringing a point with it but you disagree. People can disagree your feelings about SS are not anymore right than mine. We are still in show me phase.

I think people are just tired of hearing that drum beat repeatedly when the signs on the recruiting trail suggest otherwise.

You've consistently maintained the position that Shafer isn't a great recruiter. People disagree, which in turn garners a defensive reaction from you. I don't think that people are attacking you so much as disagreeing with a perspective you espouse repeatedly.

And "great" might be a little too strong -- that word gets overused in sports. But I think many posters see a lot of positive things on the recruiting trail from Shafer and this staff that suggest that things are turning around. We haven't added talent like this in... what? 15 years? Since the McNabb era, at least.

None of that absolves Shafer from the other criticisms about his coaching apptitude, but I think that criticizing what the staff is doing on the recruiting trail is off-base, given the class they are assembling.

jekelish said:
I think we can (and might) realistically land Burrell. Peek is farfetched. But if we're dreaming, if we could swing Burrell, Peek, and Donald Stewart? I'd think that would be a top 30-35 class.

Alsacs is already "bibbed up" for crow on Lester's offense. If we get a top 35 class after this thread? 3 course crow feast.

And he'd be happy about it, I know. We all would :).

Alsacs is already "bibbed up" for crow on Lester's offense. If we get a top 35 class after this thread? 3 course crow feast.

And he'd be happy about it, I know. We all would :).
If we have a legit offense and have a bowl season I will about the coaching staff as long as they employed.

BTW, I have watched the Elmhurst tapes and don't just have these opinions without doing the work to have them. I am not questioning a Nick Saban or Urban Meyer.

Last edited:
I think people are just tired of hearing that drum beat repeatedly when the signs on the recruiting trail suggest otherwise.

You've consistently maintained the position that Shafer isn't a great recruiter. People disagree, which in turn garners a defensive reaction from you. I don't think that people are attacking you so much as disagreeing with a perspective you espouse repeatedly.

And "great" might be a little too strong -- that word gets overused in sports. But I think many posters see a lot of positive things on the recruiting trail from Shafer and this staff that suggest that things are turning around. We haven't added talent like this in... what? 15 years? Since the McNabb era, at least.

None of that absolves Shafer from the other criticisms about his coaching apptitude, but I think that criticizing what the staff is doing on the recruiting trail is off-base, given the class they are assembling.
I can accept this, but the problem is people who disagree take shots and cause defensive responses. I put this on the recruiting board and not the main board. If any topics are off topic just put a message saying that and I will honor it.

I was just questioning a narrative I personally felt wasn't correct. I never say my opinions are fact.

I can accept this, but the problem is people who disagree take shots and cause defensive responses. I put this on the recruiting board and not the main board. If any topics are off topic just put a message saying that and I will honor it.

I was just questioning a narrative I personally felt wasn't correct. I never say my opinions are fact.

That's fair. And I do think that people are just geeked up over landing a new potential #44, a QB with the offer list of Culpepper, etc. Honestly, we haven't landed those kind of prospects across the previous two coaching staffs [and reaching into the third when you factor in the decline at the end of the Coach P era].

Shafer and staff have definitely generated a buzz. The question is: can they actualize on the potential?

Last edited:
it doesn't help rankings that rvls dropped

Washington from 4 stars 5.9 to 3 stars 5.6 and

Cam DeGeorge from 3 stars 5.5 to 2 stars 5.3

Last edited:
it doesn't help rankings that rvls dropped

Washington from 4 stars 5.9 to 3 stars 5.6 and

Cam DeGeorge from 3 stars 5.5 to 2 stars 5.3
I used to care about that stuff, and it would be nice if our class ranking was much better, but I am in the camp of looking at the kid's offer list. That and I put alot of faith in the coaches assessment. If they offered a guy early and accepted a commitment early, he must be someone the coaches really want regardless of his offers at the time. Taking those things into account, I am very happy with the direction of recruiting. Things are building. I am not sure where the ceiling is for this program, but we are clearly on the rise.

I think the more important ranking is how do we matchup against our peer programs. The fellow schools trying to ascend into the next teir of play. The BC's, NC St, Northwestern, Rutgers, WV, Pitt, Virginia etc.

JrodCuse said:
I think the more important ranking is how do we matchup against our peer programs. The fellow schools trying to ascend into the next teir of play. The BC's, NC St, Northwestern, Rutgers, WV, Pitt, Virginia etc.

As of right now - that's where our rankings are.

R-ivals has
SU 50th
BC 51st
NCSU 52nd
Nwestern 28th
RU 39th
WVU 35th
Pitt 77th
UVA 32nd

S-cout has
SU 51st
BC 53rd
NCSU 54th
Nwestern 27th
RU 35th
WVU 31st
Pitt 59th
UVA 47th

2-47 has
SU 46th
BC 53th
NCSU 57th
Nwestern 39th
RU 44th
WVU 37th
Pitt 72th
UVA 42th

We are out-recruiting BC, NCSU, Pitt this year so that is a positive, but UVA, Nwestern RU, WVU are outrecruiting us. If Mike London could coach UVA would be scary as he seems to be able to recruit.
UVA

Alsacs said:
R-ivals has SU 50th BC 51st NCSU 52nd Nwestern 28th RU 39th WVU 35th Pitt 77th UVA 32nd S-cout has SU 51st BC 53rd NCSU 54th Nwestern 27th RU 35th WVU 31st Pitt 59th UVA 47th 2-47 has SU 46th BC 53th NCSU 57th Nwestern 39th RU 44th WVU 37th Pitt 72th UVA 42th We are out-recruiting BC, NCSU, Pitt this year so that is a positive, but UVA, Nwestern RU, WVU are outrecruiting us. If Mike London could coach UVA would be scary as he seems to be able to recruit. UVA

Yep - right in the middle of it.

R-ivals has
SU 50th
BC 51st
NCSU 52nd
Nwestern 28th
RU 39th
WVU 35th
Pitt 77th
UVA 32nd

S-cout has
SU 51st
BC 53rd
NCSU 54th
Nwestern 27th
RU 35th
WVU 31st
Pitt 59th
UVA 47th

2-47 has
SU 46th
BC 53th
NCSU 57th
Nwestern 39th
RU 44th
WVU 37th
Pitt 72th
UVA 42th

We are out-recruiting BC, NCSU, Pitt this year so that is a positive, but UVA, Nwestern RU, WVU are outrecruiting us. If Mike London could coach UVA would be scary as he seems to be able to recruit.
UVA

He's a very good recruiter and historically has been so. Very Mike Locksley like in that regard. And also very Mike Locksley like as a HC.

If you think this is my point you are wrong. My point is don't call SS a great recruiter as one of pluses for getting more time. Recruiting has been on the up tick but its not justification for another year without decent results this year.
You can't get bet results without better players and that is just what he is doing. It is also going to take some time for all of the players to jell as a team. We lose players every year to graduation and some to grades , so we have to plug these holes year in and year out. Also SS is pulling in some of the good players that we haven't been getting over the years also. He deserve the time to put it all together. Not to mention all the excitement he has built by bringing in these higher quality of talent. to the point that it is rolling over to 2017, which has started off like a wild fire. The wins will come. I haven't seen the city of Syracuse and surrounding areas so excited with what is happening up on the hill. Also I spend 7-8 months in Florida and a lot of people from the north country is talk and can't wait to see this team start performing as they use do. JUST SAYING....PS; I want wins also and have no doubt they will be coming. GO ORANGE