Our leading WR has 18 catches | Syracusefan.com

Our leading WR has 18 catches

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Our top wideout on pace to average a sizzling 3 catches a game.

And we have four guys over 10 catches.

That cannot be right.

That's freaking wild.

TOP WIDEOUT ON PACE FOR A WHOPPING 36 CATCHES

TOP WIDEOUT ON PACE FOR A WHOPPING 36 CATCHES
The same number Marvin Harrison had his junior year (he led the team). Kevin Johnson had 32 as a junior (he was second on the team; Spotwood's 41 led the team). Art Monk's career high at SU was 41 (led the team). 1992, when we went 10-2, Qadry Ismail led the team with...wait for it...36 catches.

Last edited:
Would you rather have one WR with 6 catches per game and 4 others having 5 or less total? Personally, I'm a fan of throwing it around.

Just because I was curious, here are the numbers for the most catches per season for the last 25 years:

2014: 49 (3-9)
2013: 52 (7-6)
2012: 72 (8-5)
2011: 68 (5-7)
2010: 41 (8-5)
2009: 49 (4-8)
2008: 29 (3-9)
2007: 60 (2-10)
2006: 30 (4-8)
2005: 27 (1-10)
2004: 43 (6-6)
2003: 46 (6-6)
2002: 41 (4-8)
2001: 19 (10-3)
2000: 29 (6-5)
1999: 32 (7-5)
1998: 60 (8-4)
1997: 41 (9-4)
1996: 23 (9-3)
1995: 56 (9-3)
1994: 36 (7-4)
1993: 56 (6-4-1)
1992: 36 (10-2)
1991: 37 (10-2)
1990: 52 (7-4-2)

Interesting that in our three 10 win seasons over the past 25 years, our leading receiver has averaged about 31 catches. Just for fun - 1987 and 1988, when we won 11 and 10, respectively, our leading receiver was 44 catches both years.

Last edited:
The same number Marvin Harrison had his junior year (he led the team). Kevin Johnson had 32 as a junior (he was second on the team; Spotwood's 41 led the team). Art Monk's career high at SU was 41 (led the team). 1992, when we went 10-2, Qadry Ismail led the team with...wait for it...36 catches.

Different time.

Different time.
Right, like we should disregard the Spotwood/KJ numbers despite the fact that they were playing with the best QB we've ever had in arguably the most explosive offense (over those few years) we've ever had, because other teams like Baylor and Houston and Texas Tech do the air raid offense now (which, you might have noticed, we never have...closest we ever came was probably 2012).

jekelish said:
Right, like we should disregard the Spotwood/KJ numbers despite the fact that they were playing with the best QB we've ever had in arguably the most explosive offense (over those few years) we've ever had, because other teams like Baylor and Houston and Texas Tech do the air raid offense now (which, you might have noticed, we never have...closest we ever came was probably 2012).
I don't think we should disregard but it's a different era and style that's being played today. Adapt or die.

Our top (TOP!) receiver is currently tied for 250th place in the country in receptions. Nobody is expecting him to catch 70 balls in a season, but my god, that is inept. If you don't see a problem with that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Our top (TOP!) receiver is currently tied for 250th place in the country in receptions. Nobody is expecting him to catch 70 balls in a season, but my god, that is inept. If you don't see a problem with that, then I don't know what to tell you.
I absolutely think we need to throw the ball more. But I also think it's misleading considering we've used 4 quarterbacks, and given that we only have 82 completions this season, Ishmael is still responsible for 22% of them, and when 14 different players have caught balls that's not a particularly bad rate. But again - the problem starts with the fact that we only throw it 24 times per game.

I absolutely think we need to throw the ball more. But I also think it's misleading considering we've used 4 quarterbacks, and given that we only have 82 completions this season, Ishmael is still responsible for 22% of them, and when 14 different players have caught balls that's not a particularly bad rate. But again - the problem starts with the fact that we only throw it 24 times per game.

can you throw together a list of total completions (considering all wr's, te's, rb's) with wins v losses? I'd like to see that.

Isn this the entire point of the thread? I don't think anyone is faulting Ishmael in this. If he played for Baylor he'd have 75 catches a season easy. We are bringing a knife to a gunfight and we aren't bringing the Crocodile Dundee knife either. This program tries so hard to be like the NFL and play conservative football when college is an entirely different game than the pros.

I give JB so much credit for the fact that he identified the problems in college and built a program optimized to take down college teams. He doesn't give two sh!ts that his zone doesn't work in the NBA. Based on that he's a HOF coach and Syracuse hoops is an elite program. Why can't we have an innovative football coach who says fcuk the pros, I'm going to build a system that is great for college. Instead we have this grind it out bull which doesn't work in college and a defense which 7 years in still can't even pretend to stop a spread offense even though college football is all spread offenses.

No one else sees anything wrong with this?

Would you rather have one WR with 6 catches per game and 4 others having 5 or less total? Personally, I'm a fan of throwing it around.

Yeah, let's toss a few to our fourth string tight end while we're at it. Get everyone involved.

i don't think that's a very good rate. dungey isn't looking for 5 receivers, ishmael is out there all the time

can you throw together a list of total completions (considering all wr's, te's, rb's) with wins v losses? I'd like to see that.
They're all pretty much the same from game to game...

Losses:

UVA
WR: 8
XB: 7
RB: 1
TE: 0

USF
WR: 8
XB: 8
RB: 2
TE: 3

LSU
WR: 6
XB: 6
RB: 0
TE: 4

Wins:

CMU
WR: 5
XB: 4
TE: 1

Wake
WR: 3
XB: 1
TE: 3

URI
WR: 6
XB: 3
RB: 0
TE: 1

In wins, receivers have gotten 14 of 29 receptions (48.3%). In losses, receivers have gotten 22 of 53 receptions (41.5%).

Yeah, let's toss a few to our fourth string tight end while we're at it. Get everyone involved.
For me, it is one of the biggest indictments of our coaching, and indicates a lack of thoughtfulness in game planning. The offense needs to edit down. Identify what you do best and who your best playmakers are. Put them on the field as much as possible and scheme to get them the ball in space. Enough with rotating running backs (Syracuse had SIX players run the ball on Saturday - not counting the Dixon fake). Ride Fredericks and give the XB a carry to change up. Combined with the runs Dungey gets, that's spread around enough.

Syracuse struggles to even have a couple of decent weapons on offense. Spreading it around to about ten players is insanity and poor gameplanning/utilization of assets.

For me, it is one of the biggest indictments of our coaching, and indicates a lack of thoughtfulness in game planning. The offense needs to edit down. Identify what you do best and who your best playmakers are. Put them on the field as much as possible and scheme to get them the ball in space. Enough with rotating running backs (Syracuse had SIX players run the ball on Saturday - not counting the Dixon fake). Ride Fredericks and give the XB a carry to change up. Combined with the runs Dungey gets, that's spread around enough.

Syracuse struggles to even have a couple of decent weapons on offense. Spreading it around to about ten players is insanity and poor gameplanning/utilization of assets.

Wait, I thought we all wanted to Lester to open up the playbook. Now we want to edit it down?

i don't think that's a very good rate. dungey isn't looking for 5 receivers, ishmael is out there all the time
I don't think it's THAT far from where it should be.

TCU's leading receiver has 60 catches, which equals 33% of his team's completions. Baylor's leading receiver is getting 32.5% of his team's completions. Let's keep it closer to home, and go to Artavis Scott from Clemson. He's got 39 catches, which is 29.5% of his team's catches. (Tyler Boyd, on the flip-side, has 45% of the receptions on Pitt's roster)

Do I want to see Ishmael targeted more frequently? Obviously, I think he's got an NFL future. But it feels like it'd be easy to get him up closer to what the top receivers around the country are getting in terms of what percentage of completions go to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom