Our schedule seems fairly challenging after all | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Our schedule seems fairly challenging after all

In general, due to our relatively poor on field results for the better part of two decades, etc., and, being in a P4 conference, anyone who truly believed that our schedule wouldn't be challenging, especially with a first time ever head coach, well, that's, let's just say, quite interesting IMO.

I would feel better about our defense if the duce safety experiment would end. Feels like he’s costing us a TD each week. Switch positions with grant.

Maybe the defense, but the whole offense is fairly proven. Even the line.
You’re right, of course. I’m just not smart enough to know what adjustments other teams will make, and how we adjust to their adjustments.

Georgia Tech could beat Louisville Saturday and put us and Georgia Tech in that first tier with them. Cal in second tier, based on record only. They are non-competitor. Duke is a non-competitor, bad performances against bad teams, despite their record. Really not sure about Pittsburgh or North Carolina. Both could go up or down. Virginia Tech and NC state could go up.

if I had to rate our remaining conference games, I would do it as follows:

1. Miami. DUH

2. NC State. They have not looked good, but they are at home, and the most hostile road environment we will face, and last year they started off poorly and wound up being a good team. They were totally different team in the second-half yesterday and may have found something. Preseason they were picked to be better and have the most talent of our remaking teams Other than Miami.

3. BC. it’s on the road and Castellanos scares the crap out of me, but if our record is still strong, a third of the crowd will be Syracuse and they will not run over us this year like other times they’ve had good teams.

4A. Virginia Tech. Last year they stated out TERRIBLY and by the time we played them, they were the better team. They have more returning production than team in the country, Drones has been a proven QB, and like NC State, could be dangerous if they turn it around..

4B. Pitt. They could easily be 5-1 or 6-0 when we play. That will give them confidence. Kent state is terrible and two below average teams in Cincinnati and WV gifted them wins with soft 4th q defense. but they will be home, confident, and appear to have some offensive ability.

6. Cal. Only because it’s on the road.

7. Stanford. Would have switched this game with Cal if Cal was home and Stanford was on the road. weak pass defense spells trouble for them.

I would probably put UNLV somewhere around Pitt or VT. They get credit for winning two big 12 games But Kansas over hyped.
You have Cal far too low. 3-0 with a win at Auburn and we have to travel all the way across the country to play them. As it stands, we’re definitely an underdog in that game.

We really don’t have any easy conference games, especially after Stanford.

You have Cal far too low. 3-0 with a win at Auburn and we have to travel all the way across the country to play them. As it stands, we’re definitely an underdog in that game.

Agreed
Our historical record playing at teams out West is bad.

Cal to me is a real challenge

Agree. I would have it as...

Miami
UNLV
BC
Cal
Pitt
NC State
VA Tech
Stanford
UConn
Holy Cross

Schedule snap shot - SU is 3 TO, 16 TD

Total Offense Conference Standings
Stanford - 15
NCSt - 16
Pitt - 4
VT - 12
BC - 11
Cal - 14
UM - 1

Total Defense
Stanford - 10
NCSt - 13
Pitt - 12
VT - 8
BC - 7
Cal - 6
UM - 1

Schedule snap shot - SU is 3 TO, 16 TD

Total Offense Conference Standings
Stanford - 15
NCSt - 16
Pitt - 4
VT - 12
BC - 11
Cal - 14
UM - 1

Total Defense
Stanford - 10
NCSt - 13
Pitt - 12
VT - 8
BC - 7
Cal - 6
UM - 1
I think we sorta got a bad rank on the defense due to the extra scoring by GT at the end, but we could of done better on that of course.

Agree. I would have it as...

Miami
UNLV
BC
Cal
Pitt
NC State
VA Tech
Stanford
UConn
Holy Cross
I like your ranking, it seems about spot on. I do think VT is a bit lower on the list, and maybe BC but not totally off base. I would have wagered GT Somewhere in the middle to top and a possible loss, but they only had really a run game I think we got a definite shot at most of these, including UNLV. Miami might be rough.

AP Top 25 even has UNLV below Syracuse now, but UNLV made the top 25 coaches poll.

My take:

Miami
Pitt
Cal
BC
UNLV
NCSt
Uconn
VT
Stanford
Holy Cross

I think you two are vastly overrating Pitt. They have no OL, no D, and their QB runs hot and cold.

But even so the fact that one can slot Pitt at #2 just shows how winnable our next 9 games are. We are better than everyone of those teams.

Really we should win our next 4 Home games. The 5 road games though we could lose any. So IMO going 3-2 would be an accomplishment. That would mean 9-2 going into Miami which would give us an outside shot at the ACC CG.

Agreed. My point is that it isn't as easy as people think..

As the season plays out, the quality of our opponents looks better and better.

You still had a valid point and I think most people understood what you were saying. The schedule definitely is not as weak as it appeared before the season started.

I think you two are vastly overrating Pitt. They have no OL, no D, and their QB runs hot and cold.

But even so the fact that one can slot Pitt at #2 just shows how winnable our next 9 games are. We are better than everyone of those teams.

Really we should win our next 4 Home games. The 5 road games though we could lose any. So IMO going 3-2 would be an accomplishment. That would mean 9-2 going into Miami which would give us an outside shot at the ACC CG.
I can agree with that. I only think that Pitt always has been a wacky odd game depending on where it is played, and at home may be different, but it depends on the next 2-3 games to see how it will work out. In all I think the Pitt/Cal/BC line is a toss up on some depending on it all since they are away. I think NCSt down should be definite wins, and after that the others may have a 'challenge' depending on how the morale goes and stuff too.

I could definitely be wrong. I just think watching Cal that they have been somewhat lucky (and opportunistic). UC Davis out gained them! (if Holy Cross out gains us I will have the same skepticism about us as I have about Cal). They have to come to the East Coast three times before we play them. I think they’re getting too much credit for that Auburn game. Yesterday Auburn gave up 450 yards to New Mexico! (330 to Cal) If they had the same five turnovers against New Mexico that they had against Cal, they would’ve lost that game too. I think Auburn might be a two and six SEC team At best. Time will tell but I would be surprised if Cal was better than 2-3 (ACC) when we play them. (Of course, next week vs Florida state, DJ U will probably throw three or four picks right to their DBs!) either way next week will be a fairly useful data point and a game I’m going to pay close attention to.

I could definitely be wrong. I just think watching Cal that they have been somewhat lucky (and opportunistic). UC Davis out gained them! (if Holy Cross out gains us I will have the same skepticism about us as I have about Cal). They have to come to the East Coast three times before we play them. I think they’re getting too much credit for that Auburn game. Yesterday Auburn gave up 450 yards to New Mexico! (330 to Cal) If they had the same five turnovers against New Mexico that they had against Cal, they would’ve lost that game too. I think Auburn might be a two and six SEC team At best. Time will tell but I would be surprised if Cal was better than 2-3 (ACC) when we play them. (Of course, next week vs Florida state, DJ U will probably throw three or four picks right to their DBs!) either way next week will be a fairly useful data point and a game I’m going to pay close attention to.
Agree.. The Stanford game will set the tone for the rest...

Miami
Pitt
BC
Cal
UNLV
VT
NCSt
Uconn
Stanford
HC
A lot of people don’t seem to be very high on NC State at all. (Based on their performance and their quarterback problem, I get that). I would love it if we were playing them next week , but a few weeks down the road in a hostile environment where we’ve always struggled, I think way too many people have that one circled as a W.

A lot of people don’t seem to be very high on NC State at all. (Based on their performance and their quarterback problem, I get that). I would love it if we were playing them next week , but a few weeks down the road in a hostile environment where we’ve always struggled, I think way too many people have that one circled as a W.

There is that away game factor and the ACC Ref factor too, but for the latter I feel the refs on the GT game were more than fair albeit some calls, but it wasn't the typical past year bad calls we have seen. It could go the other way though on many of these as away games.

FRAN definitely handles stuff way better than Babers did on those calls from what I've seen.

It’s a snap shot, they can get things sorted, but right now they are struggling.

I was wondering if after us and Miami if there are any decent teams in the ACC. Some look competitive, but few if any look unbeatable.
I don't think the dismantlings NC State and Clemson took at the hands of top SEC teams has much bearing on us. But Miami could be a game where they sit guys if they have an ACC CG spot locked down. And GT might be the best of the rest.

Pitt out of nowhere looks competent even if their 2 wins were ridiculous. BC much better than last year. And UNLV isn't a gimme and is a tough G5.

But travel aside drawing the 2 California schools this year is a scheduling break in our favor they pretty much replaced Clemson and FSU who were annual opponents. I don't care how bad the Noles look and I'm not saying either are automatic wins but its a huge break for us.

It’s a snap shot, they can get things sorted, but right now they are struggling.
A big thing to look for with NC State is the health of Grayson McCall. McCall was a very good QB for Coastal Carolina and transferred in to start from day one. But it should be noted that he got a bad concussion halfway through last season and missed the rest of the year.

I think this article kind of hints he might have a similar issue this year. Some speculation: It sounds like there is a chance he might miss the season. Concussion injuries tend to get progressively worse.

The backup QB for NC State is a true frosh. He threw an interception early on and from what I saw (watching bits and pieces), Anae dumbed the offense down and didn’t allow him to throw the ball down field. They actually moved the ball better with the dumbed down offense but there is reason to think their struggles on offense will continue, Even if McCall is able to return soon.

For the first time in ages we have a legitimate chance to beat every team we face this year. Miami at home is going to be insane. All away games are tough it doesn't matter who you play. If it's away it's a tough game.
On paper I rank each position give the most points for QB and other than Miami I have us ahead in each game remaining. I think that Pitt will be a tough game as well as Cal and VT and NCS. I don't think that BC can keep up with us. Should be a great finish starting Friday in the JMA. Getting past GT was huge for a new team and staff. I hope that Fran comes out strong after a bye as Dino never did being home will help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom