Our schedule seems fairly challenging after all

I want to see significant improvements in special teams

Strengths
Kickoff distance and Punting is good but not great
Kickoff coverage looks ok...still a small sample

Weaknesses
Kick protection
On sides kick principles
Defense is the big issue. Keep them under 17pts, 325 yds, and 33% on 3rd down, that’s a significant improvement.

A big thing to look for with NC State is the health of Grayson McCall. McCall was a very good QB for Coastal Carolina and transferred in to start from day one. But it should be noted that he got a bad concussion halfway through last season and missed the rest of the year.

I think this article kind of hints he might have a similar issue this year. Some speculation: It sounds like there is a chance he might miss the season. Concussion injuries tend to get progressively worse.

The backup QB for NC State is a true frosh. He threw an interception early on and from what I saw (watching bits and pieces), Anae dumbed the offense down and didn’t allow him to throw the ball down field. They actually moved the ball better with the dumbed down offense but there is reason to think their struggles on offense will continue, Even if McCall is able to return soon.

I think NCSt is the great unknown.

I expect they'll lose by 17 this weekend vs Clemson

Their season will be on the line the next week vs NIU

If they lose at home to NIU: all their preseason goals except a winning season are over.

The Cuse game could be NCSt's last stand...I wouldn't put this in the win column yet

If we stay #3 offense and #16 defense we'll be lucky to win 7 games

Defense needs to improve to middle of the ACC. The offense has been saving the day
Agree 100%

The only way that is sustainable is if they can run for 200 a game and pass for 300. The OL is better so far, but it ain’t that and 360 a game in the air is not sustainable.

if they become an unstoppable machine and all they have to do is get three or four stops I’ll revise, but I don’t think the offense is that good that defense doesn’t matter.

Defense needs to improve to middle of the ACC. The offense has been saving the day
I think in 2 weeks we will be around 10/11 With our upcoming schedule. GT has a better offense than Ohio but we looked better against them. Also 130 of GT yards came on last 2 ”prevent defense“ drives. D looked very good before then. Also NC State and Unlv are threats to beat us, but not by putting up big offensive numbers. Should be middle of the pack by week 6.

My take:

Miami
Pitt
Cal
BC
UNLV
NCSt
Uconn
VT
Stanford
Holy Cross

I think they are all winnable, especially BC down. Cal is an iffy to see how they do.

My take as of today is based on what I'd project the point spread:
  1. vs Miami: +7
  2. @ BC: +6
  3. @ Pitt: +4
  4. @ Cal: +3
  5. @ UNLV: Pk 'em
  6. @ NCSt -1
  7. vs VT: -6
  8. vs Stanford: -9
  9. vs UConn -24
  10. vs Holy Cross -41

I'm down on UNLV having watched most of their game vs Kansas. They might be getting a perception boost based on their newfangled ranking but I think they are a paper tiger.

Last edited:
I want to see significant improvements in special teams

Strengths
Kickoff distance and Punting is good but not great
Kickoff coverage looks ok...still a small sample

Weaknesses
Kick protection
On sides kick principles
Our blocking on punt returns has been god awful too. Pena catches the ball and gets smashed over and over. I see our guys just letting everyone on the other team run by them and go to crush Trebor.

It is strange. Like they have been trained to do this. Is our special teams guy more worried about penalties than getting good returns?

Sometimes people are at Troy because that is where they belong. I hope this is not one of those times.

130 of GT yards came on last 2 ”prevent defense“ drives.
Are we sure it was prevent defense or are we just telling ourselves that? I had to take my son to his game so I missed those 2 drives.

I mean, regardless, we really shouldn't be cherry-picking stats or drives that bolster an argument. A good team shouldn't turn a 31-14 game in the 4th quarter - at home - into a situation where we needed a first down to save the game. The defense needs to continue to make significant strides going forward.

And duce to corner, please.

My take as of today is based on what I'd project the point spread:
  1. vs Miami: +7
  2. @ BC: +6
  3. @ Pitt: +4
  4. @ Cal: +3
  5. @ UNLV: Pk 'em
  6. @ NCSt -1
  7. vs VT: -6
  8. vs Stanford: -9
  9. vs UConn -24
  10. vs Holy Cross -41

I'm down on UNLV having watched most of their game vs Kansas. They might be getting a perception boost based on their newfangled ranking but I think they are a paper tiger.
You think that BC would be favored by a touchdown over SU? Wow! I see it more as a pick 'em, or BC favored by maybe 2 since they're at home.

You think that BC would be favored by a touchdown over SU? Wow! I see it more as a pick 'em, or BC favored by maybe 2 since they're at home.
Remember teams get 3.5 points for home field, so we'd be slight favorites if the game was at the Dome. I think BC showed well at Mizzou, regardless.

Our schedule is difficult every year. It’s cringeworthy when people say it’s easy.

Everyone is always trying to get better, teams rise and fall every year and every month for that matter. Then you have injuries, matchups, adjustments, home, away, weather etc etc

It is early but if we look at the current Sagarin vs 2022 (for some reason 2023 is not archived):

1. Miami 10 vs Clemson 14
2. VA Tech 38 (how?) vs FSU 16
3. Cal 41 vs Notre Dame 17
4. UNLV 45 vs Louisville 23
5. GA Tech 53 vs Pitt 32
6. BC 55 vs Wake 34
7. Pitt 62 vs NC State 47
8. NC State 64 vs Purdue 53
9. Stanford 83 vs UVA 88
10. Ohio 116 vs BC 112
11. UConn 120 vs 134 UConn
12. Holy Cross 168 vs 259 Wagner

It is early and things will certainly shift, but as of right now we had 6 teams higher then the 2nd highest team from this year.

We don't have teams like Clemson or FSU on the schedule who both took physical tolls on the team. Miami is the last game so that cannot happen this year. We also don't have a P4 OOC. Yes UNLV is better than most P4 teams, but they aren't as physical as a P4 team. The biggest issue IMO is the two West Coast trips which will impact the next games physically.

But the teams themselves (as of right now), are the easiest we have had since we joined the ACC.

It’s concerning how quickly some assume Stanford and UNLV are just going to roll over.
It's only concerning if you're talking about the players and coaches. Fan perception of opponents doesn't concern me one bit. I think we have a good chance to win every single game of every season. It's only worked out for me once in my life and I doubt it had anything to do with me.

It's only concerning if you're talking about the players and coaches. Fan perception of opponents doesn't concern me one bit. I think we have a good chance to win every single game of every season. It's only worked out for me once in my life and I doubt it had anything to do with me.
Still, you shouldn’t rule it out.

It’s concerning how quickly some assume Stanford and UNLV are just going to roll over.
They can fight, but they arent very good so it won’t matter. Im a bit concerned that people think this Syracuse team shouldn’t be able to beat both those teams soundly

They can fight, but they arent very good so it won’t matter. Im a bit concerned that people think this Syracuse team shouldn’t be able to beat both those teams soundly
Vegas doesn’t lie.

Are we sure it was prevent defense or are we just telling ourselves that? I had to take my son to his game so I missed those 2 drives.

I mean, regardless, we really shouldn't be cherry-picking stats or drives that bolster an argument. A good team shouldn't turn a 31-14 game in the 4th quarter - at home - into a situation where we needed a first down to save the game. The defense needs to continue to make significant strides going forward.

And duce to corner, please.
It was textbook prevent defense. Rushed three and gave King all the time in the world. Watch on the condensed game, you will see. In the last 2 drives we rushed three every time except once when we brought five. if we were going to do that, we should’ve taken Diggs out. He was spying the quarterback and covering running backs, but not not comfortable doing that.

Last edited:
I think it is doable, it is just that when they get on the road, or into some wierd funk they start making stupid mistakes (penalties etc) but I think Fran is serious about not letting that happen while Babers just caused his own issues.

They don’t, which is why Syracuse is 9.5 point favorite over Stanford
9.5 does not imply a beatdown. There's a bifurcation with the fans who think we're gonna roll 41-10 and those of us who will be content if we can pull away in the 4th quarter. Until we put together a complete game without a letdown in one of the 3 facets, it's hard to envision a blowout.

The D numbers are completely skewed by what has happened when up 3 scores late in both games. We were fine for 3 quarters in both games.

Ohio up 3 scores we gave up 130 yds in a game we had allowed 300
GT up 3 scores we gave up 130 yds in a game we had allowed 240

in college if you are in the 4th allowing 14/16 a game you have done pretty well.

Only SU and Miami in the ACC have been leading by 3 scores in the 4th quarter in every game played this year. Lets hope that continues for at least 2 more weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom