Our X factor | Syracusefan.com

Our X factor

Since we're making random comments in this thread, I thought Buss looked really smooth dribbling out the clock at the end of the game. What a handle.;)

Seriously though, G is just kind of there right now. He needs to look for his offense and be more assertive.

SIlent G. Bizarro.

Everything else is covered in multiple other threads. I'll bump this in a few months.

You're welcome.
a buddy of mine calls him jumanji too... are you he?

Our xfactor is cooney, ennis, fair and Grant on the offensive end I don't see how it could be anything else any other game this season.

I would be thankfull if we found a 5th consistant scorer, dajuan could stay on the floor longer consistantly, our defense got better trapping in the paint area, better defense up top from our guards(push them into a position, can't let guys shoot threes from the middle of the court), or Gbinije/a fresh stepping up to earn more minutes from practicing hard( Cooney killed it in practice last year but still wasn't ready for games is something to remember).
But, I can't see any of those being big enough of a change to be THE XFACTOR.

Our defensive rebouding is ok but not great.
We are forcing turnvoers pretty solid thought, thats the only thing I can think of thats a close second right now.

Last edited:
This post reminds me alot of the did any of you think ennis would be this good post above.

I thought Gbinije would be able to come in and be like a Triche or Jr KJo, able to get in the lane, off the dribble, and make teams pay especially at 6'7 dribbling like a guard. Atleast get to the freethrow line(and knock them down)
But, he isn't doing it off of motion or one on one at all. Its better he doesn't use the screen I told myself after canada(and he hasn't), but he hasn't shown any midpost scoring pullup floater game and is more of a longjumper then a high when he needs to be a highjumper in the lane (and I know he has it in him I saw his dunks at midnight madness).

Its one thing to be able to get into the lane its another to finish from mid or be able to score inside amoungst the trees, and the best PG's and scorers who attack the lane always have both.
No question this team could use some adjustments to become better.

Last edited:
Since we're making random comments in this thread, I thought Buss looked really smooth dribbling out the clock at the end of the game. What a handle.;)

Seriously though, G is just kind of there right now. He needs to look for his offense and be more assertive.

Couldn't agree more. I keep yelling at the TV when he's in the game hoping he'll look for his own. He's deferring WAY too much. That sweet drive he had in the 2nd half last night shows that he's capable of putting points on the board for us...on top of the fact that he scored 11 in a game earlier this season. I'm wondering if part of the problem is that the staff has been training him as a backup PG (even though he spends time at the 1,2, and 3), and as such, he's only focusing on looking for teammates. We have a nucleus of four guys that take on the scoring load, and if G can turn into a legitimate fifth option for us, even at just 7-8 ppg, I think we'd be significantly more dangerous.

also random... Iowa literally has the ugliest players I have ever seen in my entire life. I don't mean to be mean... but my god... it feels like a I am watching the movie "Wrong Turn"

Simmer down there, Mr Imus

To the OP, good contrarian post. The last few games have shown to the average fan that the gulf between the starting guards and the backup is huge. In tight games MG looks to be used for foul protection purposes only. It's not a huge deal, this has been done before, most recently last year.

It is starting to look like MG's real value has been he was so bad JB had little choice but to start, play, and develop Cooney. If JB had been given an average alternative, it's entirely possible Cooney would not have developed.

To the OP, good contrarian post. The last few games have shown to the average fan that the gulf between the starting guards and the backup is huge. In tight games MG looks to be used for foul protection purposes only. It's not a huge deal, this has been done before, most recently last year.

It is starting to look like MG's real value has been he was so bad JB had little choice but to start, play, and develop Cooney. If JB had been given an average alternative, it's entirely possible Cooney would not have developed.

I refuse to believe that G is as useless as he's seemed so far. He seems WAY too nice on the floor. Somebody needs to smack him around before each game and remind him that he's allowed to put the ball in the basket. I'd love to see him go bonkers against Duke and put up 20 :D

Sgt Cuse said:

You're still wrong on Cooney.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I'd like to see some defensive stats for the team when he's playing at the top of the zone. It's a nice commodity to have, adding a 6'6" guy to the top of the zone. Wonder if the Def%s are better while he's in the game.

Cooney was lights out in practice for the last 2 years, he just didn't get the game opportunities to get into a rhythm. If he played the same minutes last year as he's playing this year I feel like he'd have similar numbers..

You're still wrong on Cooney.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Hey, I like Cooney. I was just hoping SU had someone better. I was thinking MG would be that guy. I was wrong. Now I'm hoping that next year we can get a backup pg that is better than MG. But if not, let's hope MG can improve.

The OP thinks this is the X factor. I don't, but you never know. Maybe Roberson will start.

Hey, I like Cooney. I was just hoping SU had someone better. I was thinking MG would be that guy. I was wrong. Now I'm hoping that next year we can get a backup pg that is better than MG. But if not, let's hope MG can improve.

The OP thinks this is the X factor. I don't, but you never know. Maybe Roberson will start.

When I say X factor, I mean the guy who can really put us over the top. The guy no one talks about.

also random... Iowa literally has the ugliest players I have ever seen in my entire life. I don't mean to be mean... but my god... it feels like a I am watching the movie "Wrong Turn"
you should see their cheerleaders

you should see their cheerleaders
I burned my retinas out before they panned to the cheerleaders. Still feel it was a good decision.

Cooney was lights out in practice for the last 2 years, he just didn't get the game opportunities to get into a rhythm. If he played the same minutes last year as he's playing this year I feel like he'd have similar numbers..
I think people forget how far Cooney has come. I don't think there is an official stat, but Cooney launched more air balls than any designated shooter I can remember. Some of his misses were bad.

Sure, we all thought it was mental. We heard the good practive reports. But that doesn't mean it is easier to improve, just different. And it would seem like it would make JB's job a little tougher when you can't trust the practice results.

Statistically, he seems on pace to be in the discussion for SU's most improved 3 pt % year over year ever.

Someone better? How much better?

Other than Dion Waiters, it's looking like Cooney is Syracuse's best two-guard in years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom