Overstating Our Own Importance..... | Syracusefan.com

Overstating Our Own Importance.....

newmexicuse

All Conference
Well for awhile it looked the move by Pitt & ourselves just might be a catalyst to getting the four 16 team superconferences that everybody has been predicting would occur for the last few years.

It should now be apparant that it is not the individual schools or even the individual conferences driving in the superconference direction.

The bottom line is the TV dollars. The Pac 12 has a big enough deal that they could afford to tell a school like Oklahoma to take a hike...at least for the time being.

Texas & ND say, well, maybe, but only on our own terms.

It nows looks like the Big 12 will be good to go...at least for awhile.

The BE will ultimately survive or not based upon TV $$$. Many here seem to want to see the BE die. Why ?? To justify our move and re-inforce visions of our own importance ? To confirm that our move was correct & that we simply didn't panic & desert our conference ? To make our recruiting easier ? There is no reason to wish the BE ill will. We made a decision that we believe is best for us. Whether or not that turns out to be a good decision should not be dependent upon the death of a conference.

In the end there will be four 16 team superconferences if and when the TV $$$ want to make it so.

As for us, yes, I am glad we made the move. It seems like it was something that needed to happen sooner or later. It removes doubts about our future and an eventual landing place. It probably will increase our revenues. The ACC in terms of member schools is a good fit for us, especially now that there are a reasonable number of natural former BE member rivals for us to play against unlike the first go around six years ago.

There seems to be a clamor on this forum for the ACC to get to 16 and be done with it. There should be no rush to make that happen. No reason not to stay at 14 until the landscape gets unsettled again & we can add the two teams that make sense and are not just added for expansion's sake.

But, it should now be clear that we are a catalyst for nothing.

I don't think Gross and Cantor made the move to become the catalyst for the other schools. I think Gross and Cantor made the move and when the inevitable finally happens, Syracuse isn't on the sidelines with their thumb up their butt.

I don't think Gross and Cantor made the move to become the catalyst for the other schools. I think Gross and Cantor made the move and when the inevitable finally happens, Syracuse isn't on the sidelines with their thumb up their butt.
I did not mean to say that Gross & Cantor made the move for us to be a catalyst, I was mostly talking about the perception of ourselves us fans.

The people saying SU and Pitt to the ACC would be a catalyst for further conference-shifting weren't the SU folks, it was the media and the schools that will be scrambling to find a conference home when the shift to the mega-conferences occurs.

I didn't hear anyone affiliated with SU saying "now that we're moving, it's all going to get sorted out." In fact, we were the ones being vilified for causing all that was/is to come.

The BE will ultimately survive or not based upon TV $$$. Many here seem to want to see the BE die. Why ?? To justify our move and re-inforce visions of our own importance ? To confirm that our move was correct & that we simply didn't panic & desert our conference ? To make our recruiting easier ? There is no reason to wish the BE ill will. We made a decision that we believe is best for us. Whether or not that turns out to be a good decision should not be dependent upon the death of a conference.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your premise. I am one of those hoping the Big East winds up dead in this situation but it's not out of any feeling for SU's superiority. It is the opposite actually. I am not comfortable being in the ACC if the Big East still exists, still have very strong basketball, and still has MSG. I have no ill will to the BE. It's where I want to be. I am concerned that our recruiting will crater if there is still a fully functional powerful basketball conference called the Big East and we are not in it. The desire for the Big East to go away is simply self defense for Syracuse at this point. The Pac-12 decision completely changed the entire landscape and yes I think we jumped too soon because of it. But moves still have to be made. The Big 12 needs at least one, the Big East needs at least one, and the SEC needs at least one (which could come from the ACC or Big 12). So this will continue, but I have no illusions that Syracuse's ultimate viability as a national basketball power is at stake. I think we should root for whatever makes it the most secure. My thinking is that is a no-Big East scenario, unfortunately.

R.I.P. Big East. Thats what we want. For recruiting and for us to reclaim our tourney home in MSG. After hearing that former commission rip into us on ESPN I could care less about this conference and I hope for a quick painless death...except for G'town and Rutgers (they can die slowly)

R.I.P. Big East. Thats what we want. For recruiting and for us to reclaim our tourney home in MSG. After hearing that former commission rip into us on ESPN I could care less about this conference and I hope for a quick painless death...except for G'town and Rutgers (they can die slowly)

Disagree. We want a painful death and descension into purgatory for UConn, Rutgers, and the rest as all their recruits are belong to us.

Disagree. We want a painful death and descension into purgatory for UConn, Rutgers, and the rest as all their recruits are belong to us.
I want to see an end to the power of the basketball only schools -- slow and painfully... except for St John's and G' Town to which we invite them to play at our home courts of MSG and the Dome and charge them a fee for the "SU Is Awsome" fund.

Well for awhile it looked the move by Pitt & ourselves just might be a catalyst to getting the four 16 team superconferences that everybody has been predicting would occur for the last few years.

It should now be apparant that it is not the individual schools or even the individual conferences driving in the superconference direction.

The bottom line is the TV dollars. The Pac 12 has a big enough deal that they could afford to tell a school like Oklahoma to take a hike...at least for the time being.

Texas & ND say, well, maybe, but only on our own terms.

It nows looks like the Big 12 will be good to go...at least for awhile.

In the end there will be four 16 team superconferences if and when the TV $$$ want to make it so.

As for us, yes, I am glad we made the move. It seems like it was something that needed to happen sooner or later. It removes doubts about our future and an eventual landing place. It probably will increase our revenues. The ACC in terms of member schools is a good fit for us, especially now that there are a reasonable number of natural former BE member rivals for us to play against unlike the first go around six years ago.

There seems to be a clamor on this forum for the ACC to get to 16 and be done with it. There should be no rush to make that happen. No reason not to stay at 14 until the landscape gets unsettled again & we can add the two teams that make sense and are not just added for expansion's sake.

But, it should now be clear that we are a catalyst for nothing.
Stop. Rewind two days (one day??), and remember that every media outlet and most coaches predicted major shifting. This could have gone either way, but i'm sure the vegas odds were in favor of mass realignment. Syracuse made it's call based on stability and revenue for the school (and why is that a bad thing??), not because we thought we were going to cause the realignment, but because we were preparing for the seemingly inevitable.

And now that we are in another conference, are we supposed to maintain allegiance to the BE? Don't we want all other conferences to suffer? I don't know about you, but the further the BE falls (or the Big 12, or the [fill in the blank]), the better for recruiting, the better for tourney seedings, etc. I'm a cuse fan, not a conference fan, especially not a conference that made terrible policy choices and abandoned its roots.

Strange thread.

And I don't understand the uproar over "loyalty" to the conference. We created that conference. There would be no Big East without us. The commissioner should be thanking Boeheim and the University for giving him a conference to preside over, rather than acting like a *****.

I don't care who anyone is on this board, if you want the Big East to die you aren't a TRUE Syracuse fan!!! I've been a fan for more than 30 years now and I've lived through the good and bad times of the league and it's really a sad day if people who call themselves fans turn on the very thing that made us!

I don't care who anyone is on this board, if you want the Big East to die you aren't a TRUE Syracuse fan!!! I've been a fan for more than 30 years now and I've lived through the good and bad times of the league and it's really a sad day if people who call themselves fans turn on the very thing that made us!

Look I don't like being outside of the Big East, trust me. I'm really down about this move just as a fan. But if what you say is true, you are going to have to pick a new team to root for because Syracuse and the Big East are no longer a couple. Times change, for better or for worse. We won't know if this was a great move or a dumb move for a long time, but one thing is for sure: it is a move.

Like JB has been saying all over the media .. the BE died along time ago. What we see now is a monstrosity that bears no resemblance to what we helped found.

:bang:

Like JB has been saying all over the media .. the BE died along time ago. What we see now is a monstrosity that bears no resemblance to what we helped found.

A monstrosity? If I recall, it was the hands-down best basketball conference in the nation for the past 5 years, probably longer. It certainly changed since its inception, but I for one do not want to see it die. It will be extremely weird rooting for the ACC over the Big East after being so vehemently pointed in the opposite direction, true.But when people say they want to see UConn, L'Ville, Nova, GTown, etc. die slow deaths, that's ridiculous. I want those schools to continue their own great traditions. I hope we get MSG for the tournament and we might be able to without killing the BE. We offer quite a bit as it is. And recruiting is not a good reason for the hatred either. We are a recruiting beast right now and will get even better with games against UNC and Dook all over TV. No Big East team is going to cut into our recruits. Besides, you can only have 5 guys on the court at once.

You assume the BE made us. I say we made the BE. Therefore, the BE is indebted to us, not the inverse. Your BE loyalty trumps your Syracuse loyalty, which is a damn shame.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.752083,-84.363497

This thread reads like a petty ex-boyfriend who finds himself with a new girl, but yet wants to dump on the ex who treated him badly.

The classy thing to do would be to embrace the new relationship, & even through gritted teeth, wish the ex-gf well.

Its over, we're done, & we both know why the relationship ended. We shared some good times which we'll always remember, but its time to move on.
Being gracious is a reflection of maturity & self-worth.

Its not really necessary to play the - JMHO :noidea:

I feel like the other conferences put on the breaks b/c of the SU-Pitt backlash.

PS: I'm drinking the kool aid. This move has everything to do with a conference insensitive to its football schools. The BE backlash seems based on their perspective b/c those schools and conference leadership still do not get it. They act like BE football was the same as the Big 10.

So yeah: slow and painful b/c most of them see SU as the problem.

This thread reads like a petty ex-boyfriend who finds himself with a new girl, but yet wants to dump on the ex who treated him badly.

The classy thing to do would be to embrace the new relationship, & even through gritted teeth, wish the ex-gf well.

Its over, we're done, & we both know why the relationship ended. We shared some good times which we'll always remember, but its time to move on.

Well said!!! There are a lot of immature statements made by people who seem to have started routing for SU within the last 10 years or so that don't have a clue about the history of the league!
To reply to the statement that SU made the league is silly! SU was a part of it but Gtown, St Johns, and Nova probably had more influence in the leagues popularity, Gtown for sure.

A monstrosity? If I recall, it was the hands-down best basketball conference in the nation for the past 5 years, probably longer. It certainly changed since its inception, but I for one do not want to see it die. It will be extremely weird rooting for the ACC over the Big East after being so vehemently pointed in the opposite direction, true.But when people say they want to see UConn, L'Ville, Nova, GTown, etc. die slow deaths, that's ridiculous. I want those schools to continue their own great traditions. I hope we get MSG for the tournament and we might be able to without killing the BE. We offer quite a bit as it is. And recruiting is not a good reason for the hatred either. We are a recruiting beast right now and will get even better with games against UNC and Dook all over TV. No Big East team is going to cut into our recruits. Besides, you can only have 5 guys on the court at once.

Yes a monstrosity. Too many mouths to feed and too many cooks in the kitchen.

Dr. Phil...is this you? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom