Parity is great and all but... | Syracusefan.com

Parity is great and all but...

Cuse23

Walk On
I'm getting really tired of seeing the same few teams win it nearly every year. It's obviously not news, but given last night's outcome, in the 14 years since we won the championship, titles have been won by:

UNC: 3
UConn: 3 (they beat Kentucky once, so would've been 2 for Kentucky)
Florida: 2
Duke: 2
Kansas: 1
Kentucky: 1 (they beat Kansas so would've been 2 for Kansas)
Louisville: 1 (they beat UNC, but harder to say UNC would have won this year if they'd won last year)
Villanova: 1

All I can say is thank goodness for Villanova last year because as a huge college basketball fan that's the only time I've been happy with a championship game outcome in 14 years (and particularly the WAY it happened).

I'm getting really tired of seeing the same few teams win it nearly every year. It's obviously not news, but given last night's outcome, in the 14 years since we won the championship, titles have been won by:

Louisville: 1 (they beat UNC, but harder to say UNC would have won this year if they'd won last year)

All I can say is thank goodness for Villanova last year because as a huge college basketball fan that's the only time I've been happy with a championship game outcome in 14 years (and particularly the WAY it happened).

If you extend your count back 3 years, it would add Maryland, Syracuse and Michigan State. That's 11 different teams in 17 years. That's a healthy amount of parity to me.

Who do you want to win? Other than Cuse?

Who do you want to win? Other than Cuse?

Gonzaga, Villanova, Wisconsin to name a few. Anyone not named Duke, Kentucky, Kansas or North Carolina, or otherwise hasn't won it too recently (eliminating UConn and Florida #2). So while I wasn't excited about Louisville (not a Pitino fan and our rival), at least they fit this meager criteria. In the years that I'd have otherwise liked an underdog like Butler, they beat us so it was hard to root for them. In a year where a non-traditional powerhouse could've won like Michigan, they beat us so I wasn't a huge fan.

I never understand why people want our peer schools (Villanova, Arizona, etc.) to win NCs. We will likely never catch blue bloods' championship counts and that's completely fine, who gives a crap if UNC gets its 6th or UK gets its 9th, makes no difference to us. But peer schools winning hurts us in so many different areas: national perceptions, recruiting, coaching resources...you name it. I'm a Syracuse sports fan before anything, couldn't care less about CBB parity. The more advantage we have over smaller schools the merrier, I just want us get that 2nd chip.

I was rooting for Wisconsin against Duke(another horribly officiated game), Butler both times, Memphis against KU and etc... I am at the point with the sports media where many are with the political media. I don't trust their coverage, their favoritism, their failure to call out the blue bloods if they are in the wrong, the acceptance of terrible officiating and I could go on but w/e... That's my reasoning for not rooting for UNC/Duke/KU/UK...The first 3 especially.

However, i'll never root for Nova/UConn/Zona/Georgetown to win if they are playing the blue bloods.

I never understand why people want our peer schools (Villanova, Arizona, etc.) to win NCs. We will likely never catch blue bloods' championship counts and that's completely fine, who gives a crap if UNC gets its 6th or UK gets its 9th, makes no difference to us. But peer schools winning hurts us in so many different areas: national perceptions, recruiting, coaching resources...you name it. I'm a Syracuse sports fan before anything, couldn't care less about CBB parity. The more advantage we have over smaller schools the merrier, I just want us get that 2nd chip.

This dude gets it. you DO NOT want other people at the dinner table. let the big dogs eat.

This dude gets it. you DO NOT want other people at the dinner table. let the big dogs eat.

I guess despite my Cuse diehard fandom, in the grand scheme of things I am first and foremost a sports fan, a college basketball fan in this case. And since Syracuse has only won once and, at this rate will be very lucky to win one to three more at most in my lifetime, I'd rather not see the blue bloods keep winning year in and year out (or so it seems) and have to hang my hat on being just a smidge above the "peer" schools.

If I have to root against the "little dogs" and root for the big dogs for another 10+ years, that's a far worse fate to me than hoping Syracuse maintains its status among the "little dogs" (if we don't win another in that time).

exactly. i was rooting hard for carolina last nite and last year against nova. i could care less if they rack up more titles, i dont want nova jumping ahead of us, or gonzaga tying us.

exactly. i was rooting hard for carolina last nite and last year against nova. i could care less if they rack up more titles, i dont want nova jumping ahead of us, or gonzaga tying us.

Zaga wasn't jumping us, but I was rooting hard for Unc last year, I didn't want Nova getting their 2nd title.

Eh, I get the point, but watching basketball is about entertainment too. Those Cinderella runs are as fun as hell to watch, and the upsets. NC State and Nova in the 1980s, the recent UCONN runs out of nowhere, etc. I only wish we could have seen more, like the Zags and Butler. Sure it all the affects Cuse a little bit, but the fun matters more. Mercer over Duke in the first round?? I will take it every time!

Why would I ever want Wisconsin, MSU, Arizona or Nova to win more 'ships. Even Butler for god sakes.

I like to root for good programs, players, schemes, consistency, teams that play hard, etc. I have no problem cheering for Arizona, Wisconsin, MSU, Nova, Butler, etc. Better them than more Dukes/Kentuckys, imo. I want to see other teams besides the Top 2 recruiting classes year in/year out win.

Last edited:
Some of you must be really happy that the Zagorias/ESPN's of the world act as UK and Duke's beat writer while giving other programs little attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom