Pascal v Jack | Syracusefan.com

Pascal v Jack

ssbriefcase

Hall of Fame
One of the best fights of the year imo. Both were hurt at some point in the fight, and both hit the canvas. Great back and forth fight, gave the fans exactly what they wanted up to the final bell. Jack took a more cautious less wild style approach, and it worked until the scorecards, in a split decision. Pascal had it in his mind to finish each and every round in a flurry to the bell, even when hurt. Both fighters game plans were great. Just two grown super tough men going toe to toe. Would love to see a rematch.

Tank Davis on the other hand looked awful fighting the aging vet Gamboa. Gamboa tried to quit in his corner in the 2nd round, saying he couldn't go because his shoe blew out, yet despite Davis putting him on the canvas twice, was there in the 12th round. Davis didn't make initial weight, before eventually making it. He looked gassed in the later rounds and had a few rounds where he threw 15 punches, so ridiculous. I thought he was in the mix for lightweight, but if he even looks close to that fighting Loma or Lopez, he'll be ko'd with the quickness.

We fight fans have been lucky - three really good fight cards in a row to close out the year.
Agree completely on the Pascal / Jack bout - Really Good Fight... A definite fight of the year candidate on the year’s last weekend. Hope the younger pugilist generation (speaking to you Tank) stopped, watched and learned - that is how seasoned professional boxers prepare, compete, dig deep and lay it out there. Neither are the elite of the division (Bivol, Beterbiev), but I’ll pay to watch guys like Jean Pascal and Badou Jack any day of the week...

IMO, now we know why Davis has been matched “carefully” by Al and Mayweather thus far in his career. He has talent, reflexes and real heavy hands. But, didn’t seem to train much for this one. Gamboa’s been over the hill for years, but at least showed professional guts and guile to hang around until the last round (with a reported ruptured Achilles to boot). Again my opinion - Gervonta doesn’t look any more advanced than he was as an amateur. Starting to look like Adrien Broner 2.0 to me - he too impressively blew out smaller, less skillful guys. But undisciplined lifestyle, persona and lack of training focus showed when Broner met bigger and seasoned A List professionals. Kid needs to spend time in the gym with a real trainer to perfect the craft. Based on this performance, I agree wholeheartedly - no way is Davis ready for Loma or Lopez at 135. Heck I think Haney and Berchelt take him too. I’ve heard rumors of a PPV matchup with Leo Santa Cruz next. Meh... More careful, low risk in house PBC matchmaking. Santa Cruz is jumping up a weight class and couldn’t punch as a featherweight. Until Haymon lets Davis face a world class fighter with a comparable skill set, I’ll remain skeptical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom