Pasqualoni and Deleone | Syracusefan.com

Pasqualoni and Deleone

AccuRater

2nd String
We've had season tickets for many years. We've been at the Dome through the sanctions, the decline following the sanctions, the comeback years, the NIT years and finally the recovery of the past five years. It's been quite a ride. After the loss to Dayton we both had the same thought. In spite of the wins, this year has been the most depressing that we have experienced. Among the games at the Dome, Villanova was fun, as was Indiana and North Carolina. Notre Dame had it's moments. Duke was epic. Most of the rest, even the wins, were just excruciating. (Don't care much about the other OOC games.)

Our offense seemed like the basketball version of P&D's "up the middle, off tackle, short pass, punt". This drove our attendance down from near 50K (real) to mid 30s (announced).

No more transition game, entry passes, dunks or many 3s. Probably an exaggeration, or somewhat distorted memory, but we recall endless 10 second strolls past mid court, plenty of time for the defense to get back and set up. Then 15 seconds of passes around the perimeter for no apparent purpose, followed by a one-on-one move and an off-balance shot. Our defense was good enough that we could survive most of these. But it has been no fun to watch.

I guess we'll keep our tickets. But whatever happened to the brand of wide open running, passing and dunking game that made us one of the most fun and exciting teams in college hoops?

Last edited:
Call me entitled, but I'm right there with you.

Throw in the game atmosphere for all but 5 or 6 games and the silly back-patting display over the attendance charade and these past couple seasons have been too light on entertainment value and too much like an obligation.

Two hours on 1 February made up for all the negatives. But I've had more fun watching past SU losses than I've had watching some of this season's wins (and all six losses, of course). It'd be nice to see an improvement in the quality of play.

You don't need to look any further than the guards. You wouldn't mistake either for the type of guards we have had here going back to 2008 - 2009 or beyond. Losing Jonny, Waiters and MCW was painful in that the staff knew their potential but failed to recruit over each of these in time to replace them with like talent.

Last edited:
You don't need to look any further than the guards. You wouldn't mistake either for the type of guards we have had here going back to 2008 - 2009 or beyond.

They hurt, but it's about so much more.

We've had limited or unathletic guards on previous teams and managed to turn them into assets on teams with a lot of wins and a fun style of play.

Compare Ennis and Cooney to Cipolla and Sims, for instance.

Nobody with a good quick release pullup in isolation off the dribble.

We've had limited or unathletic guards on previous teams and managed to turn them into assets on teams with a lot of wins and a fun style of play.

I love Lazarus Sims. He's my favorite player of all-time. But I would take Ennis and, by extension here, Cooney over Z and Cipolla every day of the week.

The 96 team had Wallace, who was one of the most dominant players in the country that season, as well as Hill (one of our most talented offensive centers ever) and Burgan (one of our most under appreciated SFs ever). You can't compare the success of that team to this year based on guards. That team was absolutely driven by our front court.

I swear to lord bejeezus that Silent G can channel Josh Pace on an occasional drive to the rim...

I'd like to see more of that...

Vote for pedro...

We've had season tickets for many years. We've been at the Dome through the sanctions, the decline following the sanctions, the comeback years, the NIT years and finally the recovery of the past five years. It's been quite a ride. After the loss to Dayton we both had the same thought. In spite of the wins, this year has been the most depressing that we have experienced. Among the games at the Dome, Villanova was fun, as was Indiana and North Carolina. Notre Dame had it's moments. Duke was epic. Most of the rest, even the wins, were just excruciating. (Don't care much about the other OOC games.)

Our offense seemed like the basketball version of P&D's "up the middle, off tackle, short pass, punt". This drove our attendance down from near 50K (real) to mid 30s (announced).

No more transition game, entry passes, dunks or many 3s. Probably an exaggeration, or somewhat distorted memory, but we recall endless 10 second strolls past mid court, plenty of time for the defense to get back and set up. Then 15 seconds of passes around the perimeter for no apparent purpose, followed by a one-on-one move and an off-balance shot. Our defense was good enough that we could survive most of these. But it has been no fun to watch.

I guess we'll keep our tickets. But whatever happened to the brand of wide open running, passing and dunking game that made us one of the most fun and exciting teams in college hoops?

After the Dayton game, we asked each other "why do we like this team so much, only to be disappointed so many times this year?" So many of the games we won were not "fun" wins. Yes, Duke was fun and it was terrific being there for that. I wouldn't have traded that experience for anything. How could you not like that one. Other games were one frustration after another, in so many ways - even the wins. We'd say to each other "how in the world did we ever win that?" I know these are "kids" but how can you play a great game on Thursday and then have an embarrassing loss on Saturday because that is what it was. We've supported these teams for so long but I feel that we were really let down this year. I'm not sure what our decision will be for next year and renewing the tickets.

WE got no John Wallace.

I love me some Ennis but you put Cipolla and Sims on that court Saturday and in my opinion that would have been a win.

Can you really run a dynamic offense through a freshman PG? Especially one that has to learn the nuances of the 2-3 zone.

Last edited:
I'll say it again. You have far less athletic combo of guards and not just less athletic but less experienced to add to that. Waiters had scoop, MCW had Triche. There was leadership there to help the transition. Ennis has had nobody.

You don't need to look any further than the guards. You wouldn't mistake either for the type of guards we have had here going back to 2008 - 2009 or beyond. Losing Jonny, Waiters and MCW was painful in that the staff knew their potential but failed to recruit over each of these in time to replace them with like talent.
Last year's offense was only marginally better than this year's. We did get more runouts, but if JS wasn't bombing from deep we had trouble scoring in the halfcourt.

OttoMets said:

The Sims Cipolla team was carried by JW and had some great role players that year.

I will gladly take your season tickets, especially if they are better than mine (314) this year. Don't do something reactionary. It's never a good decision. We should be very talented next year.

I will gladly take your season tickets, especially if they are better than mine (314) this year. Don't do something reactionary. It's never a good decision. We should be very talented next year.
you can take mine, sec. 215 row L, first couple seats. I just can't take it anymore.:bang:

(actually jk was going to give them up regardless but that felt good...)

orangefan13 said:
Nobody with a good quick release pullup in isolation off the dribble.

Yea, that's the difference between the run and gun teams and now. Go back through SUs history. We've usually been a forward dominating team. Whether it be a PF or SF, that's where the juice was usually from. Coleman, Owens, Wallace, Johnson, etc. Next would be dynamic PGs. Center and SG has rarely been the focus of the offense.

you can take mine, sec. 215 row L, first couple seats. I just can't take it anymore.:bang:

(actually jk was going to give them up regardless but that felt good...)

Man, even after a final four last year, and the elite 8 the year before. I know the offense stunk at the end of this year, but arguably we have never been in a better place program wise.

Man, even after a final four last year, and the elite 8 the year before. I know the offense stunk at the end of this year, but arguably we have never been in a better place program wise.
no doubt (newly purchased north country summer ontario lake house is sucking all my disposable $ for a while......but like General Macarthur once said, "I shall return!" ...one day)

I love Lazarus Sims. He's my favorite player of all-time. But I would take Ennis and, by extension here, Cooney over Z and Cipolla every day of the week.

The 96 team had Wallace, who was one of the most dominant players in the country that season, as well as Hill (one of our most talented offensive centers ever) and Burgan (one of our most under appreciated SFs ever). You can't compare the success of that team to this year based on guards. That team was absolutely driven by our front court.
Sims is one of my all time favorites as well, good ball control and could muscle his way where he needed to go. Dude was a machine and could handle the minutes JB threw at him.

Also remember he was consistent. Ennis doesn't seem the same every night and it sounds like he gave up on JB at the end of the season if JB is telling the truth about that final shot.

I'll take an Ennis at forward but I want my guard to be like Sims. Rock steady, solid, dependable.

'Excruciating' is a good word for this year. The 25-0 start made it worse. An early loss might have been the best thing to temper expectations. But, GD it, you quite simply do not temper expectations at 25-0. You don't temper them after that emotional high against Duke. You expect sweet 16s and great 8s.

But, the wheels came off. We all saw it coming games before BC. They came off. There was plenty of evidence. Even at 25-0, our offensive possessions were quite simply, hopeless. We got our points and misses off of bad, too difficult shots. The whole situation was at times hopeless. I don't, and likely won't ever know the cause of the collapse, but I feel neither the players nor the coaches did a great job.

It stings because I don't see a way to fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom