Pat Beilein to Niagara | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Pat Beilein to Niagara

Would we every look at Brey? Or too old?

I've always kind of liked Mike Brey, but his teams have kind of settled into mediocrity.
Same with Thad Matta. Very solid coach, but kind of lost his shine.

I don't think Brad Stevens leaves the Celtics anytime soon. He seems on the verge of something there that might last a few years, and then we could never afford him.

Jay Wright is 57 and has 2 titles at Nova. He has a job for life and will retire from there a legend.

Bobby Hurley at Arizona State?
Would Archie Miller leave Indiana? Would he have proven enough yet?
Scott Drew? Could he recruit the Northeast?
I've never cared for Ed Cooley, personally. I think he is overrated.

Last edited:
Any reason, and I don’t know the answer. Maybe he doesn’t want to, but why has JB never reached out to Herman Harried to be a assistant? Maybe he has and Herm’s just happy coaching high school, but he has been highly successful in a great recruiting market. Get him in here and be a assistant for the next three years and then promote? Just thinking and asking if anyone knows

I would take a run at Billy Donovan, he has been OK in NBA, but he has 2 NCAA rings.

I've always kind of liked Mike Brey, but his teams have kind of settled into mediocrity.
Same with Thad Matta. Very solid coach, but kind of lost his shine.

I don't think Brad Stevens leaves the Celtics anytime soon. He seems on the verge of something there that might last a few years, and then we could never afford him.

Jay Wright is 57 and has 2 titles at Nova. He has a job for life and will retire from there a legend.

Bobby Hurley at Arizona State?
Would Archie Miller leave Indiana? Would he have proven enough yet?
Scott Drew? Could he recruit the Northeast?
I've never cared for Ed Cooley, personally. I think he is overrated.

Brey has had at least 1 major injury to a key player (or multiple players) seemingly every year for the past several seasons. Kinda hard to coach your way out of losing your best guys all the time.

But that said, you don't leave ND to go to Syracuse.
Only job he jumps for, is Duke.

IF Beilein does well at Niagara, AND IF we're in need of a new coach a few years down the line (or a few decades - you know how Boeheim do ;)), then I would imagine he'd be one we'd consider.
But, there will likely be a whole new crop of "hot, up and coming mid-major coaches" to also consider.

Buzz

Bennett

Oats - if he has success in the SEC and proves he can recruit.

PB - if he builds success at Niagara, then does the same at a g5 or p5 before JB retires.

Few - pipe dream

Those are my current options. BD and BS arent leaving the NBA for here. Wright has it made. Cronin’s Cincy through and through and really has been absolutely ineffective in March. Hurley just got trounced by a team he supposedly upgraded from and essentially gutted.

Left field: Devo if he can land a HC gig at a mac or somewhere of the like and catch fire.

How many top-10-ish programs hire top-30 coaches (who weren't alumni) when they have an opening?

I don't have a comprehensive list off the top of my head. Bill Self to KU from Illinois. Kentucky and whomever they feel like hiring. Michigan and John Beilein from WV.? Ben Howland to UCLA from Pitt? Would Holtmann to OSU from Butler count? Mack to Louisville?

Rick Pitino
Hop
Buzz
Red
Oates
We would have to build an addition on the Dome just to hold the baggage Pitino would bring with him.
Wouldn't touch him if he offered to work for free.

I like Shaka Smart, Jamie Dixon, Andy Enfield, Billy Donovan, Ed Cooley

Beilein has hired Greg Paulus as an Assistant Coach.
I like it. Niagara putting together a nice staff with the addition of Paulus. I'm guessing Belein turns Niagara into a MAAC contender within 3 years there. And if he does, I wouldn't be surprised to see him coaching at SU at some point after JB retires. These people calling for Billy Donovan/Jay Wright type coaches are completely nuts. Jay Wright aint leaving Nova for SU and Billy D will not be leaving a NBA gig to coach at SU. Assuming Belein has success at Niagara, he would be an excellent hire for SU.

Any reason, and I don’t know the answer. Maybe he doesn’t want to, but why has JB never reached out to Herman Harried to be a assistant? Maybe he has and Herm’s just happy coaching high school, but he has been highly successful in a great recruiting market. Get him in here and be a assistant for the next three years and then promote? Just thinking and asking if anyone knows

I've wondered about that, too. There was talk maybe a decade ago, but it never went anywhere.

I like it. Niagara putting together a nice staff with the addition of Paulus. I'm guessing Belein turns Niagara into a MAAC contender within 3 years there. And if he does, I wouldn't be surprised to see him coaching at SU at some point after JB retires. These people calling for Billy Donovan/Jay Wright type coaches are completely nuts. Jay Wright aint leaving Nova for SU and Billy D will not be leaving a NBA gig to coach at SU. Assuming Belein has success at Niagara, he would be an excellent hire for SU.
He could be considered to take over for his dad as well but he should have more ties to Syracuse.

Paulus has been a bit of a coach killer (I kid but yikes).

Paulus has been a bit of a coach killer (I kid but yikes).

True whether just bad luck or not - Navy, Ohio St, Louisville, George Washington all where he served as an ass’t their head coach was let go. Niagara could be a very good landing place for him with Beilein.

True whether just bad luck or not - Navy, Ohio St, Louisville, George Washington all where he served as an ass’t their head coach was let go. Niagara could be a very good landing place for him with Beilein.
I think that is more about bd luck and not having leverage to get into a really good situation. This is a really good situation for Greg, with a promising young coach at a school where he can be successful.

Good hire by Beilein. Greg should give him ready access to the fertile recruiting grounds of CNY, which are producing a lot of D1 players these days (though most go to prep school).

Would we every look at Brey? Or too old?

Great guy, and would love to play for him. But I don't see Mike leaving ND unless they get rid of him. Would be interesting to see his recruiting at a school that is not as rigid as ND.

Great guy, and would love to play for him. But I don't see Mike leaving ND unless they get rid of him. Would be interesting to see his recruiting at a school that is not as rigid as ND.
Mike Brey is 60.

I think when JB is done, we should look to fill the position with someone younger than 60 years old.

I want someone with a HC experience who has a solid track record of program building under their belt. Someone who is a proven recruiter and who has strong ties to recruiting in the East.

They don't have to be an alum though that would be preferred.

It is going to be hard to take the place of someone as legendary as JB. Asking someone who has never been a HC to do it is just asking too much.

I would hope the candidate favors a running, exciting style of play where the offense and defense are both very aggressive. That is what this town pines for.

Hop is by far the top choice right now.

I would hope the candidate favors a running, exciting style of play where the offense and defense are both very aggressive. That is what this town pines for.

Hop is by far the top choice right now.

100%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom