Pat Forde- How ACC history is being threatened by its newcomers | Syracusefan.com

Pat Forde- How ACC history is being threatened by its newcomers

By no means do I think we will...

But if we somehow blow out Duke, will there be a total Duke fan base meltdown? No way, right?

With apologies for thinking of next season, I wonder what the chances are of SU, Pitt and 'Ville going 1,2,3, in some order, next year.

With apologies for thinking of next season, I wonder what the chances are of SU, Pitt and 'Ville going 1,2,3, in some order, next year.
UNC and Duke should each be loaded next year

You’ve weakened the chemistry that creates a league environment. It’s a business arrangement, not a conference.

That's a sad couple of lines. I still agree.

What he really means to say is that you are creating a situation where those outside of North Carolina are relevant in the basketball league and some aren't comfortable with that yet.

The statistic that shocked me is that one of Duke, UNC, NC State or Wake Forest has won the conference regular season title 51 out of the conference's 60 years. That's not a league; that is a collection of teams that have banded together to give the Carolina teams someone to beat every year.

Well Syracuse, Pitt and soon Louisville are here to say "The Charade is Over!"

By no means do I think we will...

But if we somehow blow out Duke, will there be a total Duke fan base meltdown? No way, right?

I don't think so. There has been almost zero talk about the newcomers among Duke fans in a negative way. Duke is very happy that Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and next season Louisville will be in the ACC. It makes the conference better and it will help make Duke better.

I think UNC will be better next season but they won't be loaded by any means. They should be a top 20 team next year with a ceiling of top 8-12.

"Now, increasingly, the ACC looks like it will come down to the old blood vs. the new. Duke, representing Tobacco Road, vs. Syracuse, arriving like Genghis Khan from the north for a hostile takeover."

Genghis Cuse.

Or he could say, we'd rather stay true to our roots and have our teams poached by the B1G and SEC as they raid our small, financially declining conference.

We made a big mistake.
We should have insisted on bringing the name of the conference with us.
There's a new sheriff in town.
The ACC is the new Big East.

the "ottoman " wars have begun - the start of the second war of northern aggression begins-

Last edited:
I don't think so. There has been almost zero talk about the newcomers among Duke fans in a negative way. Duke is very happy that Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and next season Louisville will be in the ACC. It makes the conference better and it will help make Duke better.

That would be good thinking on their part. Wish the acc had room to add one-two more northern powerhouses. Maryland appears to be a good grab by the big 10, but dc kids won't want to go to play in the big 10. They will slowly become a midmajor when they had potential to finally be up there with duke,cuse,vill and,unc. $ will cost them book it. With the loss of maryland the acc would have been sec bad.

What to know what Chad Forde? Yankees > Rednecks.

Agree. unc has a history that we don't a big reason they have 2 recent titles unlike our one. They were so deep chemistry wise with their last title that they may have been the best champion of the last decade.

I think UNC will be better next season but they won't be loaded by any means. They should be a top 20 team next year with a ceiling of top 8-12.

Roy needs a dynamic PG to make his system go. He can recruit all the big men he wants, but that won't fix the problem. I haven't followed their recruiting for next year...does he have a PG coming in next season? What about a pure shooter? UNC has always been at it's best when they have had a true point and a great shooter (aka Smith/Lebo, et al) to complement a true post scorer. McAdoo has no one to feed him or take the pressure off inside.

Agree. unc has a history that we don't a big reason they have 2 recent titles unlike our one. They were so deep chemistry wise with their last title that they may have been the best champion of the last decade.

It didn't hurt that they had 8 players in their rotation ranked by RSCI 30th or higher, including 4 who were considered the best player at their position coming out of high school. Their 2006 class in particular was impressive. The year before they had 2 more top 15 players.

I imagine Roy Williams' coaching really turned that group into a champion.

Last edited:

It was amazing that Roy was able to keep that team together so that they could make that run at the title. He was lucky that Hansbrough was not so high on people's draft boards after his junior year or he would have been gone. He could have left anyway, but it wasn't one of those situations where he'd be stupid to stay. I don't think you'll see guys stick around like that again, at any major program. Florida and UNC were true outliers in that regard.

Carolina has one of the top pg's recruits coming in next season, Joel Berry.

Have you bought into the Jaime Dixon story? Pitt has no right being mentioned in our tier. Even the record within the selective end points (and selective games within those endpoints) he chose are quickly eroding.

The real champion of the ACC will be determined on the court and Pitt is no longer in contention. Yes, theoretically they can pile up the wins in the unbalanced schedule -the way they have for years. And just like their OOC record, knowledgable fans will know it is a fraud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom