Pat Forde nails what is going on | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pat Forde nails what is going on

Both my college basketball and college football viewing have been trending the same way:

I’ll always watch Cuse. It’s in my DNA. Can’t help it. Will always convince myself we’re winning a chip in both sports. I’m an idiot.

But my viewing of the rest of football and men’s college football? Way down, especially on the basketball side.

I watch for individuals outside of Cuse now. Marvin Harrison, Jr, Caleb Williams, etc for football for example.

Honestly, what teams are appointment viewing for the country in the B1G and SEC? OSU, Michigan, Bama, Georgia… and?

22FCEA8C-B5E2-4E45-BE5C-A281DC5F1D4A.jpeg

Both my college basketball and college football viewing have been trending the same way:

I’ll always watch Cuse. It’s in my DNA. Can’t help it. Will always convince myself we’re winning a chip in both sports. I’m an idiot.

But my viewing of the rest of football and men’s college football? Way down, especially on the basketball side.

I watch for individuals outside of Cuse now. Marvin Harrison, Jr, Caleb Williams, etc for football for example.

Honestly, what teams are appointment viewing for the country in the B1G and SEC? OSU, Michigan, Bama, Georgia… and?
I'm with you, which makes this whole conference expansion that the TV networks are pushing so interesting to me. You're not going to compete with the pro sports which outside of the NFL, how many are really appointment viewing?

What makes college so special are the traditions, rivalries and regional ties it has. By devaluing that you're going to lose a lot of the die-hards in pursuit of casuals.

I'm with you, which makes this whole conference expansion that the TV networks are pushing so interesting to me. You're not going to compete with the pro sports which outside of the NFL, how many are really appointment viewing?

What makes college so special are the traditions, rivalries and regional ties it has. By devaluing that you're going to lose a lot of the die-hards in pursuit of casuals.

Some business segments are more able to modify their offerings to appeal to a broader market - but, as Disney is currently discovering, it is extremely difficult in entertainment. College athletics is an entertainment business.

Part of the issue is you need to preserve as much of the product as possible that core consumers like, while sprinkling in enough new features for new customers to be drawn in. The NCAA tournament going from 48 to 64 teams in the 80s was an example of where this worked.

The current conference instability is incredibly unlikely to be another example of success.

I guess what’s keeping me mildly interested in CFB and hoops at this point is easy access to sports betting. Just like a PGA tour event. If I’ve got $10 on someone or some team - it makes it fun. Otherwise - I just don’t care anymore.

Certainly am stoked about coach brown and a mild resurgence at Syracuse. Same with Red on the hoops side.

We don’t have any rivalries that I give a hoot about. On the hoops side - I find the ACCT sterile.

And I could care less about the “big games” like Mich/Osu or ND/USC or whatever.

The CFB playoff will be more fun with 12. And if Syracuse somehow slides into the NCAAT - great, I’ll watch.

But that’s about it.

The naked capitalism has crushed it all.

College QBs getting millions a year? Great. Have at it. Good for them. Too bad my school is on the outside looking in.

Some business segments are more able to modify their offerings to appeal to a broader market - but, as Disney is currently discovering, it is extremely difficult in entertainment. College athletics is an entertainment business.

Part of the issue is you need to preserve as much of the product as possible that core consumers like, while sprinkling in enough new features for new customers to be drawn in. The NCAA tournament going from 48 to 64 teams in the 80s was an example of where this worked.

The current conference instability is incredibly unlikely to be another example of success.
That is so primarily because that instability is not organic; it is driven by 2 super greedy conferences, already the 2 richest by a good deal, and huge globalist multi-billionaire businesses. It is the worst of corporate raiding, corporate forced take over applied to college sports, remaining universities.

That is so primarily because that instability is not organic; it is driven by 2 super greedy conferences, already the 2 richest by a good deal, and huge globalist multi-billionaire businesses. It is the worst of corporate raiding, corporate forced take over applied to college sports, remaining universities.

Actually, it's driven by the networks. They created the instability more than the conferences did. The networks could have paid them fairly to avoid too much controversy, like when they "saved" the Big 12. Shocked that the let the Pac-However Many dissolve. Seems like anchor viewing for the Pacific time zone, just like ACC should be the anchor to get all the East Coast television sets on the day's games.

I'll still watch ACC games just to see what we're dealing with. But the obvious, the quality of play in both sports is just the pits compared to what we used to get.

Solid inventory is important for the health of the sport. It also fuels betting which in turn fuels viewers. I dont see SU or a lot of other schools in SUs position being left out. As to ND pay them a differential to either join as a full time member or add another ACC game with them now that Stanford is in. I think we will be fine.

I've said on here before that I would still watch a new CFB league if they break away from the NCAA. I say that because I love college football and I know i will still be drawn to it. That said, Trent Dilfer's take on what he thinks will happen is depressing. Venture capitalists getting involved? That would definitely kill off some of my love of college football.
Cole Cubelic assesses Trent Dilfer's claim major college programs will break away, form professional league
I think you may have it backwards. What breaks away from the NCAA wouldn't be "college football" anymore, but a minor league for the pros.

Solid inventory is important for the health of the sport. It also fuels betting which in turn fuels viewers. I dont see SU or a lot of other schools in SUs position being left out. As to ND pay them a differential to either join as a full time member or add another ACC game with them now that Stanford is in. I think we will be fine.
You may be delusional or overly optimistic, but I'll have what you're having. The alternative is too depressing.

It won't be the Alabama Yellowhammers semipro team playing in a deserted Legion Field in Birmingham against the Tennessee Hounds, it will be the Alabama Crimson Tide semipro team playing in an at-capacity Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa against the Tennessee Volunteers semipro team. There will be no readily visible difference between what occurs now and what will happen. That's the key to making it work. A team called the "Alabama Crimson Tide" will still play a team called the "Tennessee Volunteers" and the "Auburn Tigers". A team called the "Michigan Wolverines" will still play the "Ohio State Buckeyes" in the season-ender for both teams. For the bluebloods, especially in the SEC, there are at least an equal number of (and probably way, way more) non-alumni fans supporting the team as alumni, and a lot of alumni don't have a problem with a semipro team "representing" their school.

I've said on here before that I would still watch a new CFB league if they break away from the NCAA. I say that because I love college football and I know i will still be drawn to it. That said, Trent Dilfer's take on what he thinks will happen is depressing. Venture capitalists getting involved? That would definitely kill off some of my love of college football.
Cole Cubelic assesses Trent Dilfer's claim major college programs will break away, form professional league
Dilfer is simply following where the logic lies. And that is something extremely slimy. It will no longer in any meaningful sense be CDFB. It will like fake CFB run by Mafia groups and loan sharks.

Actually, it's driven by the networks. They created the instability more than the conferences did. The networks could have paid them fairly to avoid too much controversy, like when they "saved" the Big 12. Shocked that the let the Pac-However Many dissolve. Seems like anchor viewing for the Pacific time zone, just like ACC should be the anchor to get all the East Coast television sets on the day's games.
The BT was acting always to and competition even before it bang that bpotyoctt of Notre Dame. SO that is central to the BT DNA, and thus much older than TV deals for games.

The SEC has come that position only recently. And that fact is that without those leagues wanting this, desperately wanting, in order to leave themselves totally in charge and able to control all the money, the networks could have done nothing.

It won't be the Alabama Yellowhammers semipro team playing in a deserted Legion Field in Birmingham against the Tennessee Hounds, it will be the Alabama Crimson Tide semipro team playing in an at-capacity Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa against the Tennessee Volunteers semipro team. There will be no readily visible difference between what occurs now and what will happen. That's the key to making it work. A team called the "Alabama Crimson Tide" will still play a team called the "Tennessee Volunteers" and the "Auburn Tigers". A team called the "Michigan Wolverines" will still play the "Ohio State Buckeyes" in the season-ender for both teams. For the bluebloods, especially in the SEC, there are at least an equal number of (and probably way, way more) non-alumni fans supporting the team as alumni, and a lot of alumni don't have a problem with a semipro team "representing" their school.

While I agree with most of that there are two traditions that will be lost.

1. The tradition of going 10-2 or better each year. Without cupcakes and middling programs you will get more losses.

2. The tradition of affordable tickets. Once you go pro, maximizing revenue means more than maximizing attendance. And with every game being a "name" opponent, it will also drive up prices.

3. The tradition of full stadiums. With NFL prices and more Ls good luck getting 100k to show up.

I was always NFL first so the death of CFB as we know it doesn't sting as much for me.

I was always NFL first so the death of CFB as we know it doesn't sting as much for me.
Im the opposite. The NBA has been dreadful since the 90s. The NFL is boring now. Always been a college first guy. When I had kids come into the equation I lost touch with the NFL almost entirely. Could only dedicate one day a week to college sports.

Where did you grow up, and where did you go to college?
Grew up 10 miles outside Syracuse. Went to a D3 sports Catholic university in PA. Love SU football and the Raiders. I'll watch other CFB but NFL Sunday was always a bigger deal to me. For basketball I'm the opposite.