Pat Forde - Virginia built to fail in March | Syracusefan.com

Pat Forde - Virginia built to fail in March

Wonder how far he had them going?
Exactly. Supposed experts doing their Monday morning quarterback thing. Saying something so defining (in a negative light) about the Virginia program gets my respect if said prior to last night's game. I hate writers like Forde.

Myself on the other hand, if I see it, I call it beforehand. Like when I laid $1k on Trump and won $4k on Nov. 8, 2016. No joke. Thank you Hillary! I'm good but not so good that I saw that coming last night. :bat:

I honestly kind of feel for Virginia. All that work accomplished throughout the season and bounced in first round.

HOWEVER, that performance by UMBC (whoever they are) was something special!
The ever trustworthy Golden Retrievers!

I'm know Forde fan but he nailed it. For that UVA team to lose ny 20 to UMBC is absolutely absurd.

th (3).jpg
th (5).jpg

Attachments

• th (5).jpg
    th (5).jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 23
Can't stand Forde, but he articulated my thoughts on Virginia since watching Bennett's dumbfounded face when Mal went mad.

He has no plan B.

Gee Pat, I wonder how Syracuse has done it with their rigid slow down defense?

You are the worst kind of Monday morning quarterback with arrogance that defines a loser.

Virginia found itself without their dynamo, in Hunter, that could well have changed the pace in the early part of the game. They also came up against an all or nothing game from UMBC that was far and away the best they could ever play in their lives.

Too strip the great season Virginia had from them with an outlier of a game is sophomoric drivel.

Can't stand Forde, but he articulated my thoughts on Virginia since watching Bennett's dumbfounded face when Mal went mad.

He has no plan B.
It’s hard to come up with a Plan B when they shoot 54% for the game and you shoot 41%. It was a total meltdown at both ends of the court. Increased possessions would not have made a difference in the outcome last night.

It’s hard to come up with a Plan B when they shoot 54% for the game and you shoot 41%. It was a total meltdown at both ends of the court. Increased possessions would not have made a difference in the outcome last night.

Doesn't he make like $2.5m a year to come up with a plan B?

Maybe uva should have tried a zone d? From the little I saw of that game it looked like umbc had really quick guards who could get by their man at will and uva had no rim protection... so in the 2nd half they spread uva out and took it to them just like we have the few times we have found success against them. I think a zone would have protected the uva guards a bit.

With Hunter you guys had a NC team. When he went out, the team looked inside and and found that it was too big a loss to overcome and still win the championship. And that is the truth, that they couldn't accomplish their goal without Hunter. It was just too big a loss for them to digest. You guys need to let this roll off your backs...like water rolls off a chessy's fur. Sorry, couldn't resist.

That could have easily been us against UNC-Asheville.

That being said, flaming out in the tourney isn't an outlier for that program. It happens way too regularly to not start questioning Bennett's coaching philosophy.
No disrespect to my buddy Hoo's That but I don't think we will be seeing many more threads dreaming about Tony Bennett replacing Boeheim in the future. He really isn't a good tournament coach.

I honestly hate that this distinction now belongs to this man.

From an article over on the UVA Board:

Bennett’s greatest coaching challenge right now has little to do with basketball. It’s life lessons he’s taught along the way and making sure those have stuck with his players.

“I told our guys, we had a historic season. A historic season in terms of most wins in the ACC. A week ago we’re cutting down the nets and the confetti is falling. And then we make history by being the first one-seed to lose. I’m sure a lot of people will be happy about that. And it stings.

“I told the guys, this is life. It can’t define you. You enjoyed the good times and you gotta be able to take the bad times. When you step into the arena, the consequences can be historic losses, tough losses, great wins, and you have to deal with it.

“Maybe a one-seed will get beat again, maybe not. Maybe we'll be the only No. 1 seed to ever lose. It's life. It goes on. We'll have to get past that. For some reason this is what we've got to deal with, and my job now will be to say hey, how do we bounce back, our players and all that. But a life lesson is sitting there about defining yourself by maybe not what the world says, but there's other things that matter and then you get back to it.

“Phenomenal year. Can't take away an ACC Championship, can't take away the most wins, can't take away an ACC Conference Tournament, and can't take away so far being the first one-seed to get beat and lose.”

I don’t get this stuff. They lost two games ALL YEAR. How does a 1-game elimination tourney change who you are. Saying they are not built for March is absurd and probably something they said about JB 20 years ago. UVA was battle tested in the ACC (they won more games than anyone ever), they play great (not good) defense and they have balance generally on offense.

They played a bad game and UMBC played a great one. Nothing else can be extrapolated from the result but that.

I don’t get this stuff. They lost two games ALL YEAR. How does a 1-game elimination tourney change who you are. Saying they are not built for March is absurd and probably something they said about JB 20 years ago. UVA was battle tested in the ACC (they won more games than anyone ever), they play great (not good) defense and they have balance generally on offense.

They played a bad game and UMBC played a great one. Nothing else can be extrapolated from the result but that.
I don't think you know how America works.

I honestly hate that this distinction now belongs to this man.

From an article over on the UVA Board:

Bennett’s greatest coaching challenge right now has little to do with basketball. It’s life lessons he’s taught along the way and making sure those have stuck with his players.

“I told our guys, we had a historic season. A historic season in terms of most wins in the ACC. A week ago we’re cutting down the nets and the confetti is falling. And then we make history by being the first one-seed to lose. I’m sure a lot of people will be happy about that. And it stings.

“I told the guys, this is life. It can’t define you. You enjoyed the good times and you gotta be able to take the bad times. When you step into the arena, the consequences can be historic losses, tough losses, great wins, and you have to deal with it.

“Maybe a one-seed will get beat again, maybe not. Maybe we'll be the only No. 1 seed to ever lose. It's life. It goes on. We'll have to get past that. For some reason this is what we've got to deal with, and my job now will be to say hey, how do we bounce back, our players and all that. But a life lesson is sitting there about defining yourself by maybe not what the world says, but there's other things that matter and then you get back to it.

“Phenomenal year. Can't take away an ACC Championship, can't take away the most wins, can't take away an ACC Conference Tournament, and can't take away so far being the first one-seed to get beat and lose.”

Im a big tb fan too. This crap happens for whatever reason. Not sure it makes tony any less of a coach...

That being said, i skimmed their board today, they havent signed a top 150 player in two years. Thats crazy

No disrespect to my buddy Hoo's That but I don't think we will be seeing many more threads dreaming about Tony Bennett replacing Boeheim in the future. He really isn't a good tournament coach.
Yeah,neither was Boeheim early in his career. How soon we forget about our teams that would never get out of the second round. Bennett will get them over...and soon. He is a Great coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom