Path to ACC Championship | Syracusefan.com

Path to ACC Championship

mlbball99

2nd String
Just playing with some numbers.

SMU at Stanford is an absolute massive game this weekend for Syracuse’s outlook. We are huge Stanford fans.

I’m assuming Clemson wins out. I can’t see any team giving them trouble. Give them a spot in the ACC.

The fight then becomes for the second spot. If we win out, that means we are in over Pitt and Miami (head to head).

The fight then becomes between us and SMU. We don’t play them head to head. Would have the same loss against Stanford. Then it becomes tricky. But just shows how big that game is on Saturday for SMU.

Here’s the tiebreaker rules:
IMG_4953.jpeg

It's clear the SEC and to a lesser degree the Big Ten are going to cannibalize each other during conference play.

All we need to focus on is winning.

Things will shake out as they will.

Clemson, Miami, SMU, and SU keep winning that will help the ACC perception nationally.

The next four - five weeks are huge in the ACC

Cuse - Pitt, VaTech, BC
VaTech - BC, GaTech, Cuse
BC - VaTech, Louisville, Cuse
Pitt - Cuse, SMU, Virginia
SMU - Stanford, Duke, Pitt, BC, Virginia
Ville - Miami, BC, Clemson

Louisville has the best opportunities to knock off both Miami and Clemson and put themselves in prime position.

The next four - five weeks are huge in the ACC

Cuse - Pitt, VaTech, BC
VaTech - BC, GaTech, Cuse
BC - VaTech, Louisville, Cuse
Pitt - Cuse, SMU, Virginia
SMU - Stanford, Duke, Pitt, BC, Virginia
Ville - Miami, BC, Clemson

Louisville has the best opportunities to knock off both Miami and Clemson and put themselves in prime position.

Would be great if Ville lost to Miami and BC and beat Clemson.

Would be great if we beat Pitt and Pitt beats SMU

If Clemson went undefeated and SMU went undefeated - and we ran out - I’m thinking we would have good chance of being one of the 8 teams not conference winners

If Clemson went undefeated and SMU went undefeated - and we ran out - I’m thinking we would have good chance of being one of the 8 teams not conference winners
It might almost be a better outcome than winning out, getting in the ACCCG and losing to Clemson.

We would end the season with a win over a top five Miami team if they keep winning out. We would be 11 - 1 and should have an advantage over Miami as far as being picked by the committee.

SMU would have two losses and only one win against a top 25 team in Louisville (since us beating Pitt would knock them out of top 25). We would be 4-0 vs top 25 teams. With a better win against Miami than theirs against Louisville. If Stanford does not beat them, we have to hope they still win some games And Pitt, BC or Cal beats SMU But finishes with a record equal or worse than Stanford.

but again, if we did not get in, I think we would be ranked around 10 (AP) at the end of the year and that might be enough despite our schedule. And I think the second loss even if it is to Clemson in ACCCG hurts us.

I think our formula , with the schedule imbalance, should have tiebreaker based on overall record and out of conference performance, if two teams are 7-1 and one played cupcakes and the other a good nonconference schedule.

so although none of the ways to get in I think are likely for us, I think that is the most realistic, and it’s nice just to have the opportunity to still be speculating halfway through the season!

That would require the ACC getting 3 teams in, and I just don't see that happening.