Path to the NCAA Tournament. I believe! Whose with me? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Path to the NCAA Tournament. I believe! Whose with me?

Okay, we can all agree last night was horrible and the non-conference season has been largely a failure. Prospects look bleak and hope is fading. Pre-season expectations have changed from high seed and comfortably in to hoping to squeak in once again. I won’t debate that this is bad and not the area where Cuse should be existing. However, given our current status here’s how things could play out.

• Step 1: Finish off the putrid non-conference season by dispatching two cupcakes and standing at 9-4. Games do nothing but inflate the record.

• Step 2: take care of business in the opening 6 game stretch of the ACC season. This is by far the easiest portion of the schedule. Go 5-1 and raise overall record to 14-5. Have to get at least 4 wins out of the first 6 to have any chance.
    • At Notre Dame (highly winnable), home against Clemson and Ga Tech
    • Brutal blowout loss against Duke
    • Home wins against Pitt and Miami

• Step 3: Manage to go 3-3 and bring record to 17-8 overall, while playing 4 of the next 6 on the road;
    • including likely losses to Buzz and the boys and at NC State
    • win at BC and at Pitt
    • should win against BC at home
    • FSU at home a toss up

• Step 4: Survive the hardest stretch. Going 3-3 puts you at 20-11 and 11-7 in the ACC.
    • Louisville (should win), Duke (should lose) and UVA (should lose) at home
    • At UNC (blowout loss), at wake (should win), at Clemson (toss up)

If things played out this way then SU would squarely be on the bubble but maybe not in a comfortable position.
  • Only top tier wins would be at Ohio State (better hope they keep winning)
  • Second tier wins: home against Louisville and Clemson and a collection of okay looking road wins (at ND, at BC, at Pitt, at Wake)
  • No bad conference losses
  • Bad non-conference losses to (neutral to bubble teams Oregon, Uconn and at home to ODU (only in if win CUSA) and a top 15 Buffalo team.

I think that’s a fairly bland resume and another high profile win or two needs to be sprinkled in. Of course, you would never know until seeing how the rest of the country shakes out.

Meanwhile, as disgusted as I am I will not give up hope until the last breath comes from Marek and Paschal’s bony chests. I’ll still cheer for the team (perhaps while throwing things at the TV, cursing the lack of movement and pining for the old days).

Believe!
You put more effort in this post then the teams puts in on Offense and FT shooting. Don't see it but hopefully you are right!

Well that won't happen this year so why don't you just excuse yourself until next year.

I'm just tired of all the whining and bthching. Are any of us happy with the way things have turned out so far? No. But it doesn't do any good to beat the horse to death again and again.

I doubt there is any new negative that can be written. As the expression says, "It is what it is."

You're coming after the wrong guy here. I have consistently stuck up for JB the last 5 years while at times getting a bit frustrated last year especially when we lost to BC and a few other mediocre teams before the tournament.

I don't think I'm being off base when I am frustrated that we are continuously on the bubble after 5 years. Frankly I'm sick of looking like trash on offense, finishing .500, and playing the Washington Generals to UNC in the conference. If that's whining I hate to think what you think of what others have said.

Okay, we can all agree last night was horrible and the non-conference season has been largely a failure. Prospects look bleak and hope is fading. Pre-season expectations have changed from high seed and comfortably in to hoping to squeak in once again. I won’t debate that this is bad and not the area where Cuse should be existing. However, given our current status here’s how things could play out.

• Step 1: Finish off the putrid non-conference season by dispatching two cupcakes and standing at 9-4. Games do nothing but inflate the record.

• Step 2: take care of business in the opening 6 game stretch of the ACC season. This is by far the easiest portion of the schedule. Go 5-1 and raise overall record to 14-5. Have to get at least 4 wins out of the first 6 to have any chance.

• Step 3: Manage to go 3-3 and bring record to 17-8 overall, while playing 4 of the next 6 on the road;
    • win at BC and at Pitt
    • FSU at home a toss up

• Step 4: Survive the hardest stretch. Going 3-3 puts you at 20-11 and 11-7 in the ACC.

If things played out this way then SU would squarely be on the bubble but maybe not in a comfortable position.
  • Second tier wins: home against Louisville and Clemson and a collection of okay looking road wins (at ND, at BC, at Pitt, at Wake)
  • Bad non-conference losses to (neutral to bubble teams Oregon, Uconn and at home to ODU (only in if win CUSA) and a top 15 Buffalo team.

I think that’s a fairly bland resume and another high profile win or two needs to be sprinkled in. Of course, you would never know until seeing how the rest of the country shakes out.

Meanwhile, as disgusted as I am I will not give up hope until the last breath comes from Marek and Paschal’s bony chests. I’ll still cheer for the team (perhaps while throwing things at the TV, cursing the lack of movement and pining for the old days).

Believe!
Great post and possible. I don’t know if I have the stamina to endure. Seasons young and I am exhausted.

This team is cooked our ooc resume is too putrid. Outside of going 11 and 7 I the conf and beating a UNC on the road its not at best.

My attitude at this point:
ShabbyWelllitIrukandjijellyfish-mobile.jpg

The approach to OOC scheduling that worked last year is crushing us this year. These kids can't get up for these games vs mid majors. We didn't actually schedule 1 P5 school OOC. OSU doesn't count they weren't scheduled by us nor does Oregon as we didn't know if it would be them or Iowa.
I hate this argument about the schedule. Regardless of whether or not SU scheduled the games, we knew we were going to have them. It's not like we scheduled only mid-majors and got surprised by having to play OSU and Oregon. We knew we had 2 P5 games on the schedule.

Yeah, I would not say 11-7 is the most likely outcome but I would be less surprised by 11-7 than say, 6-12.

The 2017 team lost to a bad St. John’s team by 30+ and got 9 ACC wins.

If Howard can somehow heal up and Carey can improve over the season, the squad can look better.

With respect to Cuse’s tournament hopes, it might be better to swap a win at BC with an upset of a top 4 team.

I haven't watched VT this year, but we matched up well with them last year so that could be an opportunity to get an upset road win. Plus we've played Virginia/Duke tough at home so who knows, maybe we get some magic for those games.

I haven't watched VT this year, but we matched up well with them last year so that could be an opportunity to get an upset road win. Plus we've played Virginia/Duke tough at home so who knows, maybe we get some magic for those games.
yeah I have @ VT as a definite L - they're looking really good so far (except for a What L at PennSt) and we historically do not win in that place - feel it's far more likely to pick off either uva or dook at home

yeah I have @ VT as a definite L - they're looking really good so far (except for a What L at PennSt) and we historically do not win in that place - feel it's far more likely to pick off either uva or dook at home

Looks like VT is playing tonight so I'll give them a watch for a bit.

• win at BC and at Pitt
    • FSU at home a toss up

Believe!
JB needs to do what Beilein did and hire someone who can help him with the offense or let Autry run the show there if he’s capable. Beilein did this with his defense (handed it over to new assistant Luke Yaklich). He admitted he never spent as much time thinking about defense, that his eye is always drawn to offense, and now Michigan has been one of the best defensive teams in the country two years running. Michigan's Beilein says he's still coaching due to changes
JB’s offensive philosophy and approach has stagnated in recent years and needs a serious rethinking. We also need to get out on the break and score in transition more. We’re getting steals but not pushing tour in transition. That’s how our best teams thrived and separated themselves from the competition. Except for 2010, 2012, 2009, 2003 and a few others, we haven’t been a great in the half-court the past 15-20 years. It was transition points that always put us over the top and we don’t get many of those anymore.

JB needs to do what Beilein did and hire someone who can help him with the offense or let Autry run the show there if he’s capable. Beilein did this with his defense (handed it over to new assistant Luke Yaklich). He admitted he never spent as much time thinking about defense, that his eye is always drawn to offense, and now Michigan has been one of the best defensive teams in the country two years running. Michigan's Beilein says he's still coaching due to changes
JB’s offensive philosophy and approach has stagnated in recent years and needs a serious rethinking. We also need to get out on the break and score in transition more. We’re getting steals but not pushing tour in transition. That’s how our best teams thrived and separated themselves from the competition. Except for 2010, 2012, 2009, 2003 and a few others, we haven’t been a great in the half-court the past 15-20 years. It was transition points that always put us over the top and we don’t get many of those anymore.
again -- and with all due respect -- can we try and keep this thread to the topic of the OP?

Certainly could still make it. The problem is, we shouldn’t really be discussing ways to just make it. That’s the disappointing thing. Very, very much.
Agreed.

NC St just beat a really good Auburn team.

There will be plenty of changes to get Tier 1 and Tier 2 wins in the ACC. And I suspect we will land at our destiny for the last 4 years, and this one as well. The bubble line.

Which is disappointing, I was hoping to argue pod locations this year.

NC St just beat a really good Auburn team.

There will be plenty of changes to get Tier 1 and Tier 2 wins in the ACC. And I suspect we will land at our destiny for the last 4 years, and this one as well. The bubble line.

Which is disappointing, I was hoping to argue pod locations this year.
No doubt - thought you'd be able to take this year off from your yeoman's bubble work

Sorry but as a realist there is no chance this team wins 11 ACC games. We are fortunate not to have more than 4 losses and mostly to teams that aren't that good.

• win at BC and at Pitt
    • FSU at home a toss up

Believe!
5B0A0DC2-6869-48A1-816F-92F279341FDA.jpeg
715F5D45-73D3-4C43-BADA-2A31852F8862.jpeg

You guys are nuts to pencil in a sweep of Pitt. No chance.