Paths this team could take from here | Syracusefan.com

Paths this team could take from here

runningorange

Walk On
Our team this year reminds me of several other different teams I have seen in the last decade + (some good and some bad).

Option 1, Villanova 2009: Like Nova in 2009, we came flying out of the gates. However, we both stumble near the end of the year and get blown out in a game that decides the conference regular season title. Nova lost in the first round of the BET and limped into the NCAAs as a 2 seed. There they barley survived Robert Morris in OT and lost in the round of 32. They started hot and were unable to right the ship and overcome adversity.

Option 2, Syracuse 2000: We start 19-0 and lose a game we should have won to SHU at home. The team then plays .500 ball the rest of the way and loses as the top seed in the BET in the first round. The team is able to get it together in the NCAAs and gives MSU their toughest test in the sweet sixteen in route to their national title, a game we easily could have won (although MSU was the best team that year for sure).

Option 3, UConn 2004: This team looks amazing at times, and looks like a team that can win it all. However, their are many lapses where they play down to their competition (lose at home to PC). Okafor sits much of the season finale against Syracuse with a back problem and UConn looks sunk. They right the ship and win the BET in thrilling fashion and Okafor gets healthy. The ride continues for 6 more games as Okafor plays great, they have a great draw (6 seed is the highest seed they play before the final four), and cut down the nets.

Option 3, Duke 2006: Led by Sheldon Williams and JJ Reddick this team has a great regular season and is given a one seed. However, those who watch this team regularly can see that they have flaws. Taking away 2 players can completely bog down their offense. A talented and athletic LSU team is able to do this successfully with lockdown defense and it is curtains in the sweet sixteen as Duke can't find its offense.

Option 4, Georgetown 2013: This team was excellent defensively. They played at a snails pace offensively. Despite some shortcomings Georgetown has an excellent regular season and is given a 2 seed. Georgetown is unable to play at a fast pace and is unable to match the tempo and scoring of 15th seed FGCU in round 1. FGCU fast breaks all game while Georgetown only plays in the half court and has a stone cold shooting night (huge fear of mine).

Option 5, Pitt 2003-present: Pitt has had many very good teams and despite playing a slow brand of basketball has become very successful by winning ugly games and rock fights. Despite good regular season success, Pitt has never played above their seed in the tournament with a host of early exits. (Often due to not being allowed to get away with their physicality or being offensively challenged)

Option 6, UConn 2011: This team displayed great potential through stretches (Maui, @Texas, BET) but looked very flawed and beatable at times as well (9-9 conference record). This team had high level NCAA talent (Kemba, Lamb), got hot at the right times, was given a good draw and had everything come together.

Syracuse, 2014: This team has looked great at stretches and very poor at stretches and I can see it going a lot of ways in the next few weeks. We have several NBA level talents, but are not deep, struggle with injuries, and sometimes play to the level of competition. We play great defensive but struggle shooting and often let our opponent dictate the pace of play. When we play to our ceiling we can beat anyone, but a 14, 15, 16 seed seems scary with our poor offense (Saint Francis, BC, Miami (first game) anyone?)

Result = ?

I hate to say it, but I'm seeing the second Option 3 right now. Although, that is largely contingent on Grant being limited. If he has a miracle recovery, we have a much brighter outlook.

When everyone is healthy, we can win close games against teams that aren't going to sniff the sweet 16. Have to hope Grant is healthy, or Roberson plays unbelievable, to give us a decent shot at winning those close games.

Honestly, they could lose in the round of 32 and it wouldn't suprise me in the least. At the same time, they could go to the final four and I wouldn't be nearly as suprised as I was last year. Total boom or bust team in the tourney.

This team could lose in the first round or go to the Elite 8 and it wouldn't surprise me. They have lived on the edge all season. This team isn't a powerhouse despite its record/ranking. IMO it's more flawed than just about any of the highly seeded (#1-3) SU teams that I can remember. But its been a crazy fun ride and I hope it continues for a few rounds in the tourney.

I hate to say it, but I'm seeing the second Option 3 right now. Although, that is largely contingent on Grant being limited. If he has a miracle recovery, we have a much brighter outlook.

I agree. It looks like the 2nd option 3. Even if Grant does play well, his outside game is weak. Cooney and Silent G are streaky. Roberson shows moments of brilliance but seems like he's not quite ready for prime time. Christmas has made strides on offense but is just okay against better players. Shut down CJ and Ennis and this team is toast.

And most of all, as Syracuse 2-3 zone defenses can be rated, this year's defense still needs a lot more improvement.

For me it's looking pretty grim right now. I think many of our starters are fighting fatigue and minor injuries. And I would not qualify Grant's injury as minor since it's been a long time and he's was only able to play the first half against UVA.

I believe that Nova team was 2010. They should have never been a 2 seed and on top of that the committee gifts wrap them in Duke's bracket.

I'm delaying judgement until after the FSU game. I still think we have final four talent. It's all about getting JG healthy and regaining a little swagger. Let's see what happens

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom