Patterson and BJ | Syracusefan.com

Patterson and BJ

Dave85

Living Legend
Does anyone know why Patterson and BJ did not get more meaningful minutes this season? Did Patterson do something wrong to get on the coaches bad side. I thought for sure he could have spent some time at the 2-spot on nights Cooney was ice cold. What should our expectations be next season for Patterson?

And BJ seems to be a complete unknown to me. I've seen him score 20 points against the Canadian team but is he going to be able to contribute next season? Any predictions on what BJ will do next season?

Xmas, Silent G, Roberson, McCull, K-JO2, Cooney, Obokoh are pretty easy to predict what they're contributions will be.

And DC? Is he even going to play? DC is probably the biggest question mark of all.

Dave85 said:
Does anyone know why Patterson and BJ did not get more meaningful minutes this season? Did Patterson do something wrong to get on the coaches bad side. I thought for sure he could have spent some time at the 2-spot on nights Cooney was ice cold. What should our expectations be next season for Patterson? And BJ seems to be a complete unknown to me. I've seen him score 20 points against the Canadian team but is he going to be able to contribute next season? Any predictions on what BJ will do next season? Xmas, Silent G, Roberson, McCull, K-JO2, Cooney, Obokoh are pretty easy to predict what they're contributions will be. And DC? Is he even going to play? DC is probably the biggest question mark of all.

Personally, I only see Roberson getting minutes out of the three. G is still going to be the primary backup at the 1 or 2 and maybe 3. If DC is back that means Rak will probably getting some minutes at the 4 putting Rak, McC, Roberson, and G splitting time there. I just don't see any minutes for them. I honestly don't see any run until at least his senior year for Patterson, and even then there might not be that many for him to have.

Boeheim said they weren't ready. My guess is that Patterson's ballhandling was lacking and BJ was simply just physically too raw/skinny. Just a chucker right now. He'll be a good one down the road. Not sure about Patterson. One thing for sure is that we need Patterson to be another solid G off the bench to help spell the starters.

BJ didn't play much because he had to most and best players ahead of him. I like him and hope he will get more of shot this year. I can see him being the instant offense guy off the bench.

Patterson is the one guy I would like to have seen more of this past year. JB said he wasn't playing because he was as likely to miss the rim as to make a shot but that was a pretty good description of Cooney down the stretch. Buss seemed more the type to score even with a defender in his face. I hope there is serious competition for that spot next year and a more balanced division of minutes even when the starter is decided.

Does anyone know why Patterson and BJ did not get more meaningful minutes this season?
In 4 words, they were not ready.
Did Patterson do something wrong to get on the coaches bad side? I thought for sure he could have spent some time at the 2-spot on nights Cooney was ice cold. What should our expectations be next season for Patterson?
[/quote]
You should expect a lot more playing time for Buss, especially if he shows he is capable of playing some point. He has the potential to be an excellent defender, is athletic enough to get points in transition and in the paint and I think over time will develop into a good outside shooter. Has work to do getting his shot off quicker, developing the ability to shoot off the dribble, the usual stuff young player are not ready to do. Also needs to use better judgement, not be so wild, attempting to force something to happen everytime he touches the ball.
And BJ seems to be a complete unknown to me. I've seen him score 20 points against the Canadian team but is he going to be able to contribute next season? Any predictions on what BJ will do next season?
He can shoot the ball and even as a frosh, was able to get his shot off pretty quickly. That skill is in short supply on this team, which will surely get defended by playing lots of defenders in the paint, daring SU players not named Trevor to take outside shots. Needs to get better shooting off the dribble, better at taking it to the hole hard, better at blocking out/rebounding, better at playing his area of the 2-3 and most of all, he needs to get stronger. Also needs to improve his handle, especially if he wants minutes at shooting guard (and he should want that badly).
Xmas, Silent G, Roberson, McCull, K-JO2, Cooney, Obokoh are pretty easy to predict what they're contributions will be.

And DC? Is he even going to play? DC is probably the biggest question mark of all.
No one knows. It is a great sign that he has taken off so much weight. No one has to my knowledge confirmed this, but based on a number of factors, I think he had major knee surgery about March 1st.

It typically takes 12 months or so to get back to close to 100%, so I would think it is likely he will red shirt.

No one knows. It is a great sign that he has taken off so much weight. No one has to my knowledge confirmed this, but based on a number of factors, I think he had major knee surgery about March 1st.

It typically takes 12 months or so to get back to close to 100%, so I would think it is likely he will red shirt.

That means Christmas will not be available to play forward and we will likely be going with Roberson and McCullough. That will create more time for BJ coming off the bench and Obokoh will see Keita time. I wonder if McCullough with his 7-2 wingspan, could play some center?

Not to go off topic but I was on campus Monday and saw BJ and Buss walking across the quad, book bags in hand and all smiles. Seems like they are good buds and hang together. I'll say it again, BJ looks taller every time I see him.

Last edited:
Easy to predict? Go for it.

Xmas will play center do slightly better than this year.
Obokoh take over for Keita and will play center trading time with Xmas
Silent G will do what he did this year plus maybe play the 3 spot.
Roberson will take over for Grant.
McCull will probably share minutes with Roberson
K-JO2 will be PG most of the time just like Ennis.
Cooney will play most of the minutes at the 2-spot.
DC will play 20 games and be out for the season with another knee injury.

Go ahead, let me hear your predictions.

The answer is pretty simple. If you perform in practice, you get minutes at game time. Apparently the people you are concerned with did not perform well enough.

Not ready to be in the top 8 of JB's rotation -- and JB wasn't going to play more than that in tough games. And this team did not win big very often.

JB has always said it is tough to play 4 guards. BJ and Patterson could see that coming.

BJ and Roberson have a big opportunity if they add muscle. Patterson -- depends on how he competes with the other guards, how ready Joseph is for big minutes, and where Gbinije fits. Players (not posters) will decide this.

It will be interested if he does red shirt. That would probably help him and the team in the long run.

BJ and Roberson have a big opportunity if they add muscle. Patterson -- depends on how he competes with the other guards, how ready Joseph is for big minutes, and where Gbinije fits. Players (not posters) will decide this.

If I were Patterson, I would not stop dribbling a basketball for the next six months until it was like an extension of my body. If K-JO2 needs time to develop Patterson would have a golden opportunity to play some minutes if his ball handling skills were top level.

Not ready to be in the top 8 of JB's rotation -- and JB wasn't going to play more than that in tough games. And this team did not win big very often.

JB has always said it is tough to play 4 guards. BJ and Patterson could see that coming.

I think that was a big part of it. We were in dogfights in many early season games. Very little margin for error so Boeheim stuck with the vets. In hindsight I probably would've traded some early losses for a deeper bench but that's assuming they were ready. Who knows.

If I were Patterson, I would not stop dribbling a basketball for the next six months until it was like an extension of my body. If K-JO2 needs time to develop Patterson would have a golden opportunity to play some minutes if his ball handling skills were top level.
Yes -- and the same for Gbinije, for the same reason. Can't anoint Joseph as a 30 minute PG until he proves he can run the team. And Cooney can't simply depend on the PG to handle 90% of the time as Ennis did, so Cooney needs to expand his game.

I can't wait to see what these guys bring to the court this season,

Not to go off topic but I was on campus Monday and saw BJ and Buss walking across the quad, book bags in hand and all smiles. Seems like they are good buds and hang together. I'll say it again, BJ looks taller every time so see him.
Interesting. I was on Marshall St on Tuesday and almost ran into those two. They went into Jimmy John's for dinner. On Saturday, I saw them hanging out together at the Spring Game.

If they are joined at the hip, they will have to play the guard positions in the 2-3 zone.

IMO BJ didn't play because he is too skinny and it would have meant him jumping CJ, Grant or Roberson when Grant was out. He physically just wasn't there. I think he is going to be a great player though. I think he gets some minutes this next year and then big minutes as a junior. I'm guessing Bus had problems with controling the ball and his shot was more incosistant in practive than Cooney.

Not to go off topic but I was on campus Monday and saw BJ and Buss walking across the quad, book bags in hand and all smiles. Seems like they are good buds and hang together. I'll say it again, BJ looks taller every time I see him.
If you follow either one of them on Twitter it's obvious they get along great and hangout alot. Good to see. They both went through the same thing last year and it's good to have another person who understands what you're going through

Boeheim did not approve of Patterson's nickname "Bus". He tried to rename him "T-Bone". Ron found this a bit confusing as there is no "T" in his name, and wasn't buying in.

Therefore, he sat.

Lesson learned: if Boeheim wants you to be T-Bone, you'll be T-Bone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom