Paul Blair, Orioles' Gold Glove center fielder, dies at 69 | Syracusefan.com

Paul Blair, Orioles' Gold Glove center fielder, dies at 69

Here's a little better bio from Wikipedia. He is one of those guys that you would just wonder how much he would be making if he played now. Pretty solid player but a great defensive outfielder. Played on four World Series champions including two with the Yankees.
He was the fielder who replaced Reggie in right which led to the big confrontation between Reggie and Billy. I guess I've watched a little baseball in my lifetime. Four games that standout the most from that era that I remember watching on TV were that game, the pine tar game, the Guidry masterpiece vs the Angels and Reggie's three homers vs the Dodgers. I wasn't able to watch the Bucky Dent game on TV as I was riding in a car going back up to college. Fortunately I was able to listen on the radio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Blair_(baseball)

Here's a little better bio from Wikipedia. He is one of those guys that you would just wonder how much he would be making if he played now. Pretty solid player but a great defensive outfielder. Played on four World Series champions including two with the Yankees.
He was the fielder who replaced Reggie in right which led to the big confrontation between Reggie and Billy. I guess I've watched a little baseball in my lifetime. Four games that standout the most from that era that I remember watching on TV were that game, the pine tar game, the Guidry masterpiece vs the Angels and Reggie's three homers vs the Dodgers. I wasn't able to watch the Bucky Dent game on TV as I was riding in a car going back up to college. Fortunately I was able to listen on the radio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Blair_(baseball)
I'm with you brother, if memory serves me correctly I saw all of them as they happened.

Being a big Thurman Munson fan and having spent two hours with him one day, Reggie is not one of my favorite people.

For Christmas my sister-in-law gave me a book on Jackson, I could not hide my disappointment.

It nearly went into the roaring fire.

Paul played here in Rochester for parts of two seasons, '64 and '65. I was a batboy in '65, it was clear even to this 16-year-old that he wouldn't be in AAA long. He was one smooth operator.

Played a shallow CF and for those Earl Weaver O's teams that had great pitching and the 3 run homer. Played a little too early to make the set for the rest of your life money that baseball now has.

Sad day for us O's fans. I bought a book for my nephew on the top 10 everything in baseball. I was pleased to see that they were smart enough to include him in the top 10 hit stealers (or something like that for CFers) of all time, as well as the 70's O's as the 9th best lineup of all time. Before getting beaned, he was also a very good hitter.
Another O's icon, Mark Belanger, died far to early as well. He was as good a defensive SS as has ever played. I believe he does not get his due from baseball due to his strong union work in the 70's.

Last edited:
one of the better defensive outfielders to ever play the game.