Paul Pierce's top 5 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Paul Pierce's top 5

I like his list, but I’m putting Wilt over Kobe, and in my head I have Bird over Russell, though it’s not a choice I want to debate, so I keep that to myself. Well, outside of just now typing it. I’ll gladly lose credibility keeping LeBron off my list.

It’s probably controversial and I’ve changed it a lot of the years but I could argue Hakeem Olajuwon as my 5th best player of all time.

Jordan
Kareem
Wilt
LeBron
Hakeem
Magic
Bird
Russell
Duncan
Shaq
Kobe
Oscar

It seems that Hakeem is overlooked at times by many fans nowadays. I think people forget just how good he was, especially defensively, which isn’t talked about much when he’s brought up. The two titles he helped win are pushed aside as only happening because of the Jordan situation.

It seems that Hakeem is overlooked at times by many fans nowadays. I think people forget just how good he was, especially defensively, which isn’t talked about much when he’s brought up. The two titles he helped win are pushed aside as only happening because of the Jordan situation.
Hakeem is underrated. Look at game 6 1987 against Seattle.
He went for 49-25 and he wasn’t playing against prehistoric Scalabrene’s like Russell and Chamberlain were playing against.

Hakeem’s all around game is probably the best of those 1980-1990s centers.
Shaq overpowered him late in his career but Hakeem did the same to an old Kareem.

If the late 1980s Rockets didn’t have drug problems they probably get to more Finals.

I think Shaq was better when in shape but I would take Hakeem over him.

Hakeem is underrated. Look at game 6 1987 against Seattle.
He went for 49-25 and he wasn’t playing against prehistoric Scalabrene’s like Russell and Chamberlain were playing against.

Hakeem’s all around game is probably the best of those 1980-1990s centers.
Shaq overpowered him late in his career but Hakeem did the same to an old Kareem.

If the late 1980s Rockets didn’t have drug problems they probably get to more Finals.

I think Shaq was better when in shape but I would take Hakeem over him.

Scalabrine lol. Now I know where you get your crazy ideas. Michael Rapaport (watch 1:20 in)

It's actually the opposite nowadays. Back when Russell and Wilt played they had 8 to 12 teams for most of the decade. They had no room for stiffs. Now they have 30 teams. Some of the other centers were Willis Reed, Nate Thurmond and Walt Bellamy to name a few and they all say hello from the HoF. Those dudes were a long way from Brian Scalabrine.

Last edited:
Scalabrine lol. Now I know where you get your crazy ideas.
It's actually the opposite nowadays. Back when Russell and Wilt played they had 8 to 12 teams for most of the decade. They had no room for stiffs. Now they have 30 teams. Some of the other centers were Willis Reed, Nate Thurmond and Walt Bellamy to name a few and they all say hello from the HoF. Those dudes were a long way from Brian Scalabrine.
You don't get the joke about the comment prehistoric Scalabrine's I am not going to explain it to you. I honestly don't care what you think about anything so politely I say stay safe. Your opinion on anything matters to me as much as the crap that comes out of me when I go to the bathroom. I do take pleasure in the fact you are the one who always responds to me.
Have a good night.

lmao, keep it classy.

Don't take it personally. If I see a foolish comment (like your Wilt comment re fouls) then sometimes I like to correct it for the record. Stop making goofy comments (particularly about things you know nothing about), and come up with your own material btw, then I won't have to respond to you. It's like cleaning up after the elephant at the circus.

Not that FTs are Jordan's fault, but I wonder what a 70% ft Wilt would have averaged? Also, how many 3s a game int there for Jordan. Wilt led league in scoring (numerous) rebounding (which is all Russell really worried about) and assists. No other center ever led the league in assists.
This says it's speculated that he had several seasons averaging 10 blocks, but they only tracked blocks for 112 games he played in.
I'm not sure the three point thing matters much. Jordan didn't shoot that many and Wilt wouldn't have shot any anyway. That's more significant for guys like Oscar Robertson, Pete Maravich, Jerry West, etc.

I'm not sure the three point thing matters much. Jordan didn't shoot that many and Wilt wouldn't have shot any anyway. That's more significant for guys like Oscar Robertson, Pete Maravich, Jerry West, etc.
I meant that Jordan probably got 1-3 points extra a game from them

To be honest, I have Kobe outside my top 10. Some people find that ridiculous, but oh well. There have been some REALLY good players, being 11-15 EVER is still impressive company. For me, Kobe is in the 9-12 range.

Players should not be penalized for playing with other stars, but Shaq was the finals MVP for those 3 finals.

1590442442010.png

Both all time greats, but I've got Shaq a little higher.

Scalabrine lol. Now I know where you get your crazy ideas. Michael Rapaport (watch 1:20 in)

Thanks for doing the work about Wilt in this thread. You point about the big men he went up against night after night is spot on.

Thanks for doing the work about Wilt in this thread. You point about the big men he went up against night after night is spot on.

Any time. I don't know why he doesn't get the respect he deserves. Maybe part of it is that since he was 7
1" 285 pounds people expected him to easily dominate but people lose sight of how athletic he was. There is plenty of footage of Wilt in his late 30s blocking Kareem's sky hook a few times and not goal tending. There ain't nobody playing today or ever who could do that. Listen to the guys that played in the 60s or early 70s and they were awe struck by Wilt.

I meant that Jordan probably got 1-3 points extra a game from them
I know what you meant. I don't think it matters with a Jordan/Chamberlain comparison because Chamberlain's scoring was not affected by the absence of the 3 point line, since he would not have shot any had it been available. If we were comparing Jordan's scoring to a guard from a different era like Oscar Robertson, the lack of a 3 point line puts Robertson at a disadvantage since he likely would have taken advantage of it, had he had the opportunity.

Cool video.

Another guy overshadowed by mj. I think because he wasn't flashy and was so quiet he gets overlooked.

Another guy overshadowed by mj. I think because he wasn't flashy and was so quiet he gets overlooked.

Absolutely. He was so solid that it almost looked effortless, like he wasn’t even trying all that hard. He just got the job done. People consistently put Shaq, and others ahead of him when there’s something on Facebook, or other forums about putting together a starting lineup of all time greats.

I grew up a Magic fan because of Shaq, Penny, and Dennis Scott. I’d spend hours in my backyard firing up threes to be like Dennis. Some may be too young, or they just discount the ‘95 Finals because Shaq was arguably not at his best yet, and his career stats against Hakeem do give him the slight edge. Along with a 14-6 record. But, the Dream outscored him in all 4 games in the Finals, leading them to the sweep. Nick Anderson is to thank for a huge role in that, but I’m still taking the Dream all day in this matchup, and Shaq is one of my all time favorites.

Shaq as a Laker is tough not to go with, but damn could Olajuwon put on a show offensively, then protect the rim as well as nearly everyone. He didn’t have as much of the huge blocks into the stands, or a finger wag. Instead he tried to keep the ball in play for a teammate to grab. Some folks just don’t appreciate the fundamentals as much as they do the exciting, highlight reel plays. Even though his offensive moves were so dynamic that they looked easier than they really were. He was just so damn smooth with it, and was one of a kind that we will probably never see again with the way the league has evolved.

Last edited:
Absolutely. He was so solid that it almost looked effortless, like he wasn’t even trying all that hard. He just got the job done. People consistently put Shaq, and others ahead of him when there’s something on Facebook, or other forums about putting together a starting lineup of all time greats.

I grew up a Magic fan because of Shaq, Penny, and Dennis Scott. I’d spend hours in my backyard firing up threes to be like Dennis. Some may be too young, or they just discount the ‘95 Finals because Shaq was arguably not at his best yet, and his career stats against Hakeem do give him the slight edge. Along with a 14-6 record. But, the Dream outscored him in all 4 games in the Finals, leading them to the sweep. Nick Anderson is to thank for a huge role in that, but I’m still taking the Dream all day in this matchup, and Shaq is one of my all time favorites.

Shaq as a Laker is tough not to go with, but damn could Olajuwon put on a show offensively, then protect the rim as well as nearly everyone. He didn’t have as much of the huge blocks into the stands, or a finger wag. Instead he tried to keep the ball in play for a teammate to grab. Some folks just don’t appreciate the fundamentals as much as they do the exciting, highlight reel plays. Even though his offensive moves were so dynamic that they looked easier than they really were. He was just so damn smooth with it, and was one of a kind that we will probably never see again with the way the league has evolved.
Very good way to describe his game. Also, when any current player wants to work on improving his post game, who does he train with? Hakeem

Very good way to describe his game. Also, when any current player wants to work on improving his post game, who does he train with? Hakeem

Yep. Shaq is kind of like the LeBron of centers. They were both born as freaks of nature, and dominate physically. But, if you wanna learn how to succeed with more than just your strength, size, and athleticism, then gimme guys like the Dream, and Jordan or Kobe. Not that Shaq, and LeBron don’t have skills outside of their physicality, but you know what I mean.

Wilt scored 100 pts against Bellamy.

The NBA didn’t have a team start 5 black players till 1964 when Red Auerbach went against the edict of racism that prevailed in the league in the early 1960s.

The fact clown needs this explained as to what prehistoric Scalabrines meant is fine. I will do it. The league was racist and stiff white guys had jobs in the league because the league was racist.

Teams could only have a certain number of black players per team because of this racism. But yeah let’s just ignore the blatant racism the early history of the NBA went thru.

Chamberlain overpowered these bums.
Red Auerbach broke the color barrier and made the league more diverse.

Chamberlain was an alltime great. The early parts of his career he faced prehistoric Scalabrines. Sorry I have to explain something that if you googled you would the joke.

Stay safe out there and make sure you wear your mask.

The NBA didn’t have a team start 5 black players till 1964 when Red Auerbach went against the edict of racism that prevailed in the league in the early 1960s.

The fact clown needs this explained as to what prehistoric Scalabrines meant is fine. I will do it. The league was racist and stiff white guys had jobs in the league because the league was racist.

Teams could only have a certain number of black players per team because of this racism. But yeah let’s just ignore the blatant racism the early history of the NBA went thru.

Chamberlain was an alltime great. The early parts of his career he faced prehistoric Scalabrines. Sorry I have to explain something that if you googled you would the joke.

Wilt faced guys like Thurmond, Bellamy, Russell, Reed, Unseld and Alcindor on a regular basis, in a league with fewer teams, in an era when the top players averaged more minutes per game.

Wilt faced guys like Thurmond, Bellamy, Russell, Reed, Unseld and Alcindor on a regular basis, in a league with fewer teams, in an era when the top players averaged more minutes per game.

Listen br don't cloud the issue with facts.
And lo and behold every one of those players were black. So much for that theory.

He's never gonna get it. Has no context cuz he wasn't alive to see any of it so instead he's gonna listen to some clown like Rapaport or rely on Boston Bill Simmon's word when he wasn't alive then either.

What's up with the continual punk@ss comments about me staying safe and wearing a mask?

Last edited:

Two of the best teams in NBA history were the 66/67 Sixers and 71/72 Lakers. Both teams had Wilt on them. They won 68 and 69 games, respectively. The 67' team played the Celtics 9x that regular season and then beat them 4 out of 5 in the playoffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom