Paulus | Syracusefan.com

Paulus

The Ack

Scout Team
Didn't see a thread on this but just wanted to say...Good on him! Not sure what his long (or short) term is, but Congrats to Greg! A Syracuse native who has proven himself on a lot of levels. Is he a candidate after JB?

That's especially impressive when you consider how little talent he had to work with (they were a short team who was also bad at shooting) and the fact that he had no time to prepare and didnt even know he was going to be the coach until right before the season started.

Make no mistake, he's still a long way off from proving himself ready to coach SU. Maybe the coach after the guy who replaces Boeheim (assuming that guy doesn't also stay here 50 years)? Either way this year was a huge success for him.

He certainly has as good if not better credentials than any in house candidate (or say Patrick Bielein who some people here loved). Assuming we aren't going to open the bank for JB's replacement and assuming JB doesn't dictate who gets the job (which I think is what will happen), I'm not so sure we should be acting above anyone. What he did with that roster was pretty impressive.

I have been saying for years that either Niagara or Canisus should be a NCAA contender every year. There are a lot of talented players between Buffalo and Utica who could be very talented low D1 players. Better coaching and an EBYL team in Rochester could really help NYS Thruway talent.

I would put the chances of Paulus being our next coach at about 1 percent.

He certainly has as good if not better credentials than any in house candidate (or say Patrick Bielein who some people here loved). Assuming we aren't going to open the bank for JB's replacement and assuming JB doesn't dictate who gets the job (which I think is what will happen), I'm not so sure we should be acting above anyone. What he did with that roster was pretty impressive.
Why wouldn't we open the bank? Didn't you just see how much Cuse basketball is worth to the school. I respect what Paulus did but it's one year in the MAAC.

He may not be thr guy but it’s higher than 1%. People wanted Belien...why not Paulus?

The people you are talking about are fans. I'm thinking about how the Athletic Department is going to operate here.

The people you are talking about are fans. I'm thinking about how the Athletic Department is going to operate here.
I agree. But let’s for a second pretend that Wildhack goes “outside the family” ...

Why wouldn't we open the bank? Didn't you just see how much Cuse basketball is worth to the school. I respect what Paulus did but it's one year in the MAAC.
No kidding, no other program in the top 5 in bball revenue would make that kind of move, why should we? And why would anyone accept that and be happy?

I agree. But let’s for a second pretend that Wildhack goes “outside the family” ...

He's a Syracuse letterman who grew up a stone's throw from campus.

Still remember people not happy that he used to scrimmage with our players in the off-season.

im not sure his credentials are better than autrys.

He's garnering a lot of respect in coaching circles...just sayin'
Nope, it's far better to judge his long term coaching potential based on the personal opinion of those with no coaching background, especially when factoring in observations of his personality, facial expressions, flopping as a player, and association with a "rat faced" HC who has only won 5 NCs.

So if he’s not a suitable candidate for them, he shouldn’t be for us either.
I'm not saying he is a candidate for us - though I will say we aren't Duke and don't have the alums in the coaching arena that they do. I will say the folks dismissing him as not worthy because he's only coached at Niagara is a dismissal that IMHO we don't merit anymore.