Paulus | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Paulus

I'm not saying he is a candidate for us - though I will say we aren't Duke and don't have the alums in the coaching arena that they do. I will say the folks dismissing him as not worthy because he's only coached at Niagara is a dismissal that IMHO we don't merit anymore.

We aren’t Providence either. Unless Duke(or a few other programs) has a head coach opening in the same off-season as us, there’s a good chance that Syracuse will be the best college basketball job opening out there when it opens up.

If things consistently improve with Paulus at Niagara over the next 2-3 seasons and he demonstrates that he can lead a program, I would very happy with him as the next coach here.

I'm just ready for a fresh infusion of a new coaching style and philosophy similar to Babers taking over with football.

If things consistently improve with Paulus at Niagara over the next 2-3 seasons and he demonstrates that he can lead a program, I would very happy with him as the next coach here.

I'm just ready for a fresh infusion of a new coaching style and philosophy similar to Babers taking over with football.
Please refrain from saying 3 seasons...

Yeah, if he does a great job running the program over multiple years and establishes himself as one of the best candidates out there, fine.

Great accomplishment for him this year. Can he build on it, run a program, recruit, etc?

Personally I’d feel better getting someone that’s shown they can do that stuff at a higher level. Someone that’s consistently won and recruited well at a Xavier, Dayton, Providence, etc. level program and league...or Washington.

100% agree.

For the love of....

First of all, the Duke part is disqualifying. Second, there was already a thread on this and it sucked too.
Third, that award sucks Dookie balls.

Yeah, if he does a great job running the program over multiple years and establishes himself as one of the best candidates out there, fine.

Great accomplishment for him this year. Can he build on it, run a program, recruit, etc?

Personally I’d feel better getting someone that’s shown they can do that stuff at a higher level. Someone that’s consistently won and recruited well at a Xavier, Dayton, Providence, etc. level program and league...or Washington.
No one at Washington has consistently won, despite good-great talent.

I have been saying for years that either Niagara or Canisus should be a NCAA contender every year. There are a lot of talented players between Buffalo and Utica who could be very talented low D1 players. Better coaching and an EBYL team in Rochester could really help NYS Thruway talent.

Sounds like a least a few of these kids could start for us! Make this happen! j/k :)

He’d be on my short list. Local angle only helps.

I've been wondering if Leo Rautins would be a good hire. He has connections in Canadian HS hoops to get up and running in a year or two.

I've been wondering if Leo Rautins would be a good hire. He has connections in Canadian HS hoops to get up and running in a year or two.

Leo is on the verge of being a SR Citizen himself.

If he could lock up the best Ontario kids and we have other recruiters to hit up NYC, Philly, Baltimore and New England I might be interested.

Big Greg Paulus fan but he probably needs more success at Niagara and one more stop before he gets the Syracuse job. Wouldn't count the guy out by any means, intelligent, high energy and character guy who is learning on the fly about being a HC. He did a good job this year.

same

Let’s face it he’s the face of Syracuse b-ball. He’s got the intensity and charisma to do the job. I could see Girard being an assistant eventually with gmac running the show

Let Paulus join Dino to help fill gatorade containers during games. That's as close as I care to him being part of our basketball program. That way he can still spend some time in the dome. Win - Win.

Paulus is a natural. He's been successful at everything he's tried. The fact that he took a crappy team with no foreknowledge and went as far as he did should have been no surprise. The same can be said for his only year at Syracuse, he was handed a lousy Robinson team and along with Doug Marrone, provided new leadership. He was a four year point guard for the best basketball team in America and he stepped into a starting quarterback. The kid's a winner.

Paulus is a natural. He's been successful at everything he's tried. The fact that he took a crappy team with no foreknowledge and went as far as he did should have been no surprise. The same can be said for his only year at Syracuse, he was handed a lousy Robinson team and along with Doug Marrone, provided new leadership. He was a four year point guard for the best basketball team in America and he stepped into a starting quarterback. The kid's a winner.

Agreed, he has all the tools that you like to see but has to prove he can coach on the floor and recruit. Huge questions but I agree with your outlook. All that said, he can take over a ton of different programs if he proves successful and Syracuse is one of many options he could have down the road. If people did follow him on twitter this year his energy is contagious to say the least. He wont fail because of lack of effort and commitment to being a great coach. He gets the job at hand for sure and what it takes to be successful in the current landscape. I would not doubt him. he has taken a great opportunity and appears to be hell bent on making the most of it and sometimes a little luck and an opportunity are all people need. He's getting great experience on a daily basis.