Pay Pal Cal to the Nets? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pay Pal Cal to the Nets?

Going out on a limb here, but I don't think Cal is leaving arguably the best job in college basketball to take probably the worst job in professional sports right now

Worst job in professional sports? Brooklyn has made the playoffs every year of their existence, and is located in probably one of the half dozen most desirable locations in the league.

Good luck, Cal. No picks, second team in a single city and an owner that is... interesting, to say the least.

In fairness, Brooklyn is just slightly smaller than the city of Chicago. It's not like we're talking the second team in Sacramento or something.

Worst job in professional sports? Brooklyn has made the playoffs every year of their existence, and is located in probably one of the half dozen most desirable locations in the league.
It is probably the worst job in the NBA right now. They don't have their first round pick till 2019 and their roster has nothing to build on the future with but Chris McCollough and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.
Their cap situation kills them. They have the 3rd worst record in the NBA and they could give Boston Ben Simmons.

Billy King gave the Boston 4 first round picks and players Boston turned into 2 more 1st round picks for 1 year of Paul Pierce and 1.5 years of Kevin Garnett who they flipped for Thad Young and had to overpay him.

Lopez, Young are horrible contracts. Plus they have Joe Johnson for another year.

Quick Prokhorov story…A buddy of mine at work has a friend who has a pretty good gig at the Nets. The team trainer approaches him and wants some machine that will help players recover faster or something, but it costs like $350,000(I could be off on the number), and the team rule from the previous ownership is that anything over a certain amount has to get owner approval.

So after a few tries, they get Prokhorov on the phone and he asks how much it is and they tell him and he goes… “Okay good……(pauses for a second)…. buy two.” and hangs up.

Cal and the Nets deserve each other.

Cal still trying to lay the blame for taking Kittles over Kobe on someone else?

Good luck, Cal. No picks, second team in a single city and an owner that is... interesting, to say the least.
I used to see Kerry Kittles in a supermarket near the Meadowlands arena.
He was a much better shopper than Kobe.

What is the draw to coach the Nets, again? They are the 2nd team in their town, in a complete rebuilding situation, with a pretty bad roster.

And all picks for the next 3 or 4 years traded or swapped.

Cal played it right. If the Nets are stupid enough to give him 10 years 120 million I would take the job. If Brooklyn had cap space and its draft picks it could get FAs with him recruiting.

The only NBA job I think Calipari would consider is Cleveland if they fired David Blatt.

They lose out on draft picks -- but they finally cleared themselves of quite a bit of cap space starting next year. So they could be a player in free agency for one player, and could be a serious player in 2017/2018. But there only selling point is market. They stupidly wasted a chance to have cheap really good assets to help recruit.

It will be interesting to see if Brooklyn shows patience next offseason and tries to make a bold move to bring in 2/3 players for 2017/2018 -- that is there only hope.

you forgot that the Knicks look at their assets going forward and laugh

And it's not like the Knicks have many great assets either. Thankfully for their future, they nailed the one good piece they had a chance at with KP.

They lose out on draft picks -- but they finally cleared themselves of quite a bit of cap space starting next year. So they could be a player in free agency, but there only selling point is market.

So cap space is not an issue.

This. Joe Johnson is coming off the books - which is a huge number. Finding a guy that can score 11.1 points per game on 4-for-11 shooting every night should be pretty easy to do.

The bottom line is they need a point guard. Jarrett Jack is at $6.3M for next year and he's OK, but they need a younger guy. Shane Larkin isn't the guy in my opinion.

Frontcourt wise, Lopez and Young are decent, but not worth their money right now ($39M per year combined) with the way the team is constructed. They need to hope Jefferson and/or McCullough hit for them. And that they can get a couple of mid-level guys in free agency that can help give them options.

Some guys to look at might be Vasquez & OJ Mayo in a logjam at Milwaukee, Lance Stephenson (Brooklyn guy, has been terrible with LAC but with an incentive-laden contract could be motivated) or even Rondo.

They lose out on draft picks -- but they finally cleared themselves of quite a bit of cap space starting next year. So they could be a player in free agency for one player, and could be a serious player in 2017/2018. But there only selling point is market. They stupidly wasted a chance to have cheap really good assets to help recruit.

It will be interesting to see if Brooklyn shows patience next offseason and tries to make a bold move to bring in 2/3 players for 2017/2018 -- that is there only hope.
The entire NBA is going to have cap space. Brooklyn has bad contracts on the books with Brook Lopez and Thad Young. Even when Joe Johnson goes off the books. Without a high first round pick in the next 3 drafts what talent is there going to be to recruit good players to Brooklyn.

The elite FAs aren't going to go there with the state of their roster. The Lakers, Heat will be the likely destination of any high FA that leaves their current team based on the new contract structures.

Brooklyn is going to suck for the next 3-5 years IMO.

Make-Easy-Forex-Cash.jpg
What you are showing in the picture doesn't touch what Kentucky is/will give him.

The entire NBA is going to have cap space. Brooklyn has bad contracts on the books with Brook Lopez and Thad Young. Even when Joe Johnson goes off the books. Without a high first round pick in the next 3 drafts what talent is there going to be to recruit good players to Brooklyn.

The elite FAs aren't going to go there with the state of their roster. The Lakers, Heat will be the likely destination of any high FA that leaves their current team based on the new contract structures.

Brooklyn is going to suck for the next 3-5 years IMO.

You said they had no cap space going forward, which I corrected. But everything else I agree with - they will stink for a long time.

It is an entirely screwed up organization, whose only hope is the 2017/2018 Free Agent for which they have limited leverage due to assets and competition. Without the Garnett/Pierce deal they could have had leverage. Chances are it will not prove fruitful, but that is all they can really try at this point, and only hope for a turnaround within a few years. They finally stopped making the situation worse at this point (I think)

Where they could screw things up in 2017/2018 is if they are unable to get elite FA, they start to overpay other FA's, creating the same mediocrity level they were at before. There is a decent chance they could pay there way to a 35-40 win level by that point, but it is nothing to build on.

And it's not like the Knicks have many great assets either. Thankfully for their future, they nailed the one good piece they had a chance at with KP.

as a knick's fan I'm too well aware of that

when the poor laugh at you for being poor...

hqdefault.jpg

why do NBA owners think head coaches make that big a difference in the nba? they dont. this isnt the nfl. the more important thing is that the GM and coach share a vision.

If Cal ends up leaving UK, there are bad things happening there we don't know about.

Why would anybody of stature go coach the Nets? No only do they stink now, but they will stink for YEARS. They don't have their 1st round pick until 2019!!!!!

If Cal were to go there, it would 100% be for the money, which would have to be off the charts.

Cal has to time his exit at a time that gives him "it wasn't me" space from whatever doom the NCAA will be handing down. He has to assess what future openings there will be and will they be better financially than the Nets. In the NBA it doesn't matter if your 10-72 or 35-47. Bad is bad, and good jobs don't open up on a regular basis. If control on basketball decisions and cash are the two big considerations - the Nets opportunity is going to be tough to beat. Stan Van Gundy isn't making 12 million a year.

why do NBA owners think head coaches make that big a difference in the nba? they dont. this isnt the nfl. the more important thing is that the GM and coach share a vision.

What! You mean Phil Jackson isn't the reason why Chicago won so many titles? Or, the Lakers? ;):)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom