Penn state and the death penalty --good read | Syracusefan.com

Penn state and the death penalty --good read

No idea who that guy is and if he knows anything or how valid some of his comments are, but it is a good read and if he has a shred of knowledge of what is going on in the NCAA and B10, then PSU could be screwed.

Very good read.

Well-placed sources have indicated the Penn State Football death penalty scenario has been discussed, in detail, by NCAA executives in Indianapolis. They discussed how this may play out, then asked a speculative informal question of whether this would lead to the Death Penalty at Penn State. The 5 executives voted 6-0 (one voted twice) that eventually Penn State Football must go.

Because ultimately, its Us or Them.

Does anyone seriously believe they will have their football program disbanded?

I think it is a distinct possibility. If you realize the story so far is just the tip of the iceberg and what could potentially come out, the death penalty has to at least be an option.

Considering what has been done with other programs, I think there is a real possibility. The fact that the crimes occurred is one thing but if there appears to be as many people who helped cover it up, that will pretty much put the NCAA in a position where they will have to shut it down. And I really don't think the attitude has changed: look at these idiots who were rioting after teh announcement or who are making death threats.

To borrow a line from Buzz Shaw, these fans need to get a life. This is the definition of a "lack of institutional control."

i think its becoming more and more likely. it just depends on how big the conspiracy ultimately is.

i would say its 50/50 right now that PSU loses its football program.

I wonder if this is how paterno got to stay on? A little dirt here and there and the man that built psu to its glory may be the one that crushes it. This is an extremely hot tempered subject and if psu had a network in place it could cancel the program for 2 to 4 years.

...it at least will not be bowl eligible for a couple of years i expect..but otherwise...life goes on...a bit less happy and a lot tarnished

He makes some good points regardless if the NCAA is actually considering the death penalty. The idea that a student-athlete will be punished if he speaks an agent until the NCAA says so becomes ever more ridiculous when you consider the complete institutional breakdown at PSU.

At this point it will be a travesty if Penn State doesn't get the death penalty.

I've been saying all along they should get the Death Penalty. If what transpired there doesn't warrant the Death Penalty then we will never see the Death Penalty applied again.

i think its becoming more and more likely. it just depends on how big the conspiracy ultimately is.

i would say its 50/50 right now that PSU loses its football program.

that's where i am at. i forget what the death penalty even means. is it lifetime but you can "re-apply" a some point? i tend to think if this gets big enough, that they may not get the death penalty per se (tho they deserve it) but could get "suspended" for a period of time like 3 years. which means they have to start over again pretty much.

I suggested this in another thread, but an alternative would be to demote them to D-1AA and not let them award scholarships. Villanova would be delighted to have them as their in-state rival.

While I think they should get the death penalty, I believe Penn State WILL NOT get the death penalty....and this is why.

No one disputes how completely and totally awful the situation in Penn State is. And while this was most certainly a criminial act that took place within the athletic department (with the knowledge of the athletic department staff), can someone tell me which student athletes were affected?

Penn State will argue that the chain of command was properly notified and that the AD did not take appropriate actions.

Even if they prove Sandusky "pimped" kids, the school will say it was done by a former coach via an unaffiliated program (2nd mile) to private individuals (donors).

While I think they should get the death penalty, I believe Penn State WILL NOT get the death penalty....and this is why.
Simple counterargument (and the correct one): the existence, status, myth, and money of the football program is what led to the coverup of the criminal enterprise. The fanbase and local community are caught up in that myth, and cannot be changed overnight. Thus the only way to disinfect is to knock the program down.

Good luck trying to prove that other schools knew about this and used it as a recruiting tool against PSU. I don't think the NCAA or Feds will get beyond the speculation point on that, whether true or not. Whatever paper trail may exist at other schools is long gone after this week. I don't see how they get a player from another school to come forward. What's he going to say, "Yeah, my position coach told me not to go to PSU because he knew the DC was a child molestor." No one wants any piece of that.

Good luck trying to prove that other schols knew about this and used it as a recruiting tool against PSU.
I would want to talk to kids that Schiano recruited and see if anything was said to them.

" Major Programs...BCS programs knew, & used it as a recruiting counterpoint."

can of worms.jpg

No one disputes how completely and totally awful the situation in Penn State is. And while this was most certainly a criminial act that took place within the athletic department (with the knowledge of the athletic department staff), can someone tell me which student athletes were affected?

Penn State will argue that the chain of command was properly notified and that the AD did not take appropriate actions.

Even if they prove Sandusky "pimped" kids, the school will say it was done by a former coach via an unaffiliated program (2nd mile) to private individuals (donors).

This post is spot on, most people arguing for the dealth penalty should read your post theres zero chance PSU gets disbanded, ZERO.

I brought up the idea of the death penalty in another thread earlier.

I think what happened at PSU is far, far worse than what happened at SMU. Kids were getting raped. Little boys. In the football facilities. And it was covered up by the football program. We're not talking about some 19 year old athletes driving nice cars or getting shopping sprees, we're talking about the systemic abuse and torture of 10 year old boys. And the entire athletic department helped to keep it quiet. This is unparalleled. And as javadoc said above, "the existence, status, myth, and money of the football program is what led to the coverup of the criminal enterprise."

That is more than enough reason to shut the whole thing down. I think it's a very real possibility and I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it yet.

I think it should happen.

This post is spot on, most people arguing for the dealth penalty should read your post theres zero chance PSU gets disbanded, ZERO.
Um isn't that loss of institutional control?

If PSU didn't break a specific by-law, I don't think you'll see much in the way of NCAA sanctions. If the NCAA tried to apply the death penalty without a clear violation, they'd probably get sued, probably lose the case, spend lots of money, and it would diminish their ability to apply sanctions in the future. Of course, maybe that's a good thing.

Although I don't know this, I'd bet that "having institutional control" is not a rule, in and of itself. It's probably only relevant to controlling anti-competitive practices.

Um isn't that loss of institutional control?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom