Penn state and the death penalty --good read | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Penn state and the death penalty --good read

I think they will eventually get the Death Penalty form the NCAA or they will self impose a year or two of no fball.

The reason I believe that is because we are just finding things out its going to get much much worse IMO.

If PSU didn't break a specific by-law, I don't think you'll see much in the way of NCAA sanctions.
Do the NCAA's by-laws incorporate federal criminal law explicitly or implicitly? Is there a "good behavior" prescription?

Does anyone seriously believe they will have their football program disbanded?
If the "pimping out boys to rich boosters" story is true, then YES the Death Penalty is in order and should be applied.

If the "pimping out boys to rich boosters" story is true, then YES the Death Penalty is in order and should be applied.

Absolutely right, this doners with boners thing is disgusting.

Read 'em their last rites.

How many posters on here said on Monday, oh, this will just get swept under the rug. There's too much money at stake. It's too big to fail. WRONG.

PSU admin has taken action but hasn't gone far enough. All games, this year and in seasons to come, should have been canceled while the university evaluates the viability and purpose of the football program.

But this is PSU, a place where no one saw any problem with McQueary on the sideline until YESTERDAY. A place so lacking in foresight that a trainwreck/riot/stampede will go on as scheduled tomorrow.

Carry on...

This post is spot on, most people arguing for the dealth penalty should read your post theres zero chance PSU gets disbanded, ZERO.

Why are you so adamant against the possibility?

Javadoc makes a great point above: "The existence, status, myth, and money of the football program is what led to the coverup of the criminal enterprise. The fanbase and local community are caught up in that myth, and cannot be changed overnight. Thus the only way to disinfect is to knock the program down."

Is Java wrong?

I brought up the idea of the death penalty in another thread earlier.

I think what happened at PSU is far, far worse than what happened at SMU. Kids were getting raped. Little boys. In the football facilities. And it was covered up by the football program. We're not talking about some 19 year old athletes driving nice cars or getting shopping sprees, we're talking about the systemic abuse and torture of 10 year old boys. And the entire athletic department helped to keep it quiet. This is unparalleled. And as javadoc said above, "the existence, status, myth, and money of the football program is what led to the coverup of the criminal enterprise."

That is more than enough reason to shut the whole thing down. I think it's a very real possibility and I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it yet.

I think it should happen.

I think at this point in time, much of what appears to have occurred is presumptive. However, I am of the opinion that eventually strong evidence will come up as to the extent of a systemic and institutional cover-up. I see the major players in this horrific mess barfing up the ugliness of what they did or did not do in return for plea bargaining. Floodgates will open and the truth will come out as the slimy ones cut their little pathetic deals. If and when that occurs public outrage will far exceed what it is now and a death penalty will be inevitable. If a death penalty occurs it would probably have to be at least five years before PS would even dare to apply for re-instatement, and the NCAA should not even think about re-instaement until at least a decade had passed.

the NCAA should not even think about re-instaement until at least a decade had passed.
Ban them for a period equal to the time spent covering up the crimes. That should get them about 25 years.

Simple counterargument (and the correct one): the existence, status, myth, and money of the football program is what led to the coverup of the criminal enterprise. The fanbase and local community are caught up in that myth, and cannot be changed overnight. Thus the only way to disinfect is to knock the program down.

This post is spot on, most people arguing for the dealth penalty should read your post theres zero chance PSU gets disbanded, ZERO.

There's too many unknowns at this point to say ZERO chance. My guess is the NCAA started talking about what to do if various rumors circulating are found to be true, and that the vote referenced was regarding one or more potential senarios.

If you're saying that RIGHT NOW, Penn State has no chance of the death penalty based on what we know, I'd agree with that - but this is a dynamic situation in which more information is going to come out. That currently unknown (but speculated on) information is what could/would lead to a death penalty situation at Penn State.

Why are you so adamant against the possibility?

Javadoc makes a great point above: "The existence, status, myth, and money of the football program is what led to the coverup of the criminal enterprise. The fanbase and local community are caught up in that myth, and cannot be changed overnight. Thus the only way to disinfect is to knock the program down."

Is Java wrong?

Im not saying Java is 100% wrong but your never going to be able to prove all of that. First of all like all horrible scandals a few months from now somethign else will happen somewhere and the national spotlight will shift. Joe PA reported the incident to the admin who then failed the kid and the whole system by not reporting it to the police when they should have. Again how does this constitute giving the program itself the death penalty???? This did not involve student athletes or Penn State football players in anyway, Sandusky hasnt even been part of the program in over a decade. Penn State has allready cleaned house and none of these other allegations have come close to be proven true and again if ur going based on the administration itself you would have to give every PSU program the death penalty. Sorry but if you think the NCAA is giving a BCS program in this day and age the death penalty for anything short of pay for play caught on tape ur nuts.

His post makes some assumptions that PSU the institution or the football program were not tied to other things.

The president of the NCAA stated with respect to PSU that "As the facts are established through the justice system, we will determine whether Association bylaws have been violated and act accordingly. To be clear, civil and criminal law will always take precedence over Association rules." The NCAA can only act if bylaws were violated.

Moreover, the "death penalty" applies only to repeat violators and can include eliminating the involved sport for at least one year, the elimination of athletics aid in that sport for two years and the school relinquishing its Association voting privileges for a four-year period. A school is a repeat violator if a second major violation occurs within five years of the start date of the penalty from the first case. The cases do not have to be in the same sport.

Clearly, 2 things need to happen to get the death penalty: The Sandusky atrocities or the university's lack of action would have to also include violations of NCAA bylaws AND this would have to be a 2nd major violation within 5 years of the date of the penalties from the first violation. Has PSU been found guilty of a major NCAA violation in any sport in the last 5 years?

I think it's highly unlike that PSU will get the death penalty.