Penn State Hypocrisy | Syracusefan.com

Penn State Hypocrisy

Penn State's Chambers suspended 1 game for shoving player

While I agree abusing players is wrong and should be punished, I do see the irony in PSU punishing a guy for shoving a player when they covered up and to some extent still deny the abuse of boys for decades.

This is just a stupid take. The “right” thing for consistency is for them to do forevermore is to let all coaches do whatever they want according to this take.

Truly moronic.

This is just a stupid take. The “right” thing for consistency is for them to do forevermore is to let all coaches do whatever they want according to this take.

Truly moronic.
I don't think that's what he's saying.

Penn State's Chambers suspended 1 game for shoving player

While I agree abusing players is wrong and should be punished, I do see the irony in PSU punishing a guy for shoving a player when they covered up and to some extent still deny the abuse of boys for decades.

I just don't see the connection between those two things.

The people that were involved in that horror are either dead, in jail for life, or in the process of being charged/tried. The University was required to make over 100 organizational corrective actions, and by all accounts has made them.

What Chambers did has absolutely zero to do with the Sandusky situation. A one game suspension is reasonable.

It's like, if a Catholic priest somewhere shoved one of his parishioners, he should still be suspended regardless of how bad the Catholic church has been regarding their child abuse scandal.

Last edited:

The people that were involved in that horror are either dead, in jail for life, or in the process of being charged/tried. The University was required to make over 100 organizational corrective actions, and by all accounts has made them.

What Chambers did has absolutely zero to do with the Sandusky situation. A one game suspension is reasonable.

It's like, if a Catholic priest somewhere shoved one of his parishioners, he should still be suspended regardless of how bad the Catholic church has been regarding their child abuse scandal.
Wait. You think Penn State changed?

Truly moronic.

Reading skills and reasoning skills are important in life. Consistency would require that PSU and its cultic followers admit Sandusky, Paterno, the administration the AD Staff, the coaching staff, et al, are all guilty and make full amends, not s simple negotiated settlement/buy-off of the victims. God only knows how many more victims there were of Sandusky's abuse.

Check my past posts, you will probably find that I have not been a fan of PSU, Paterno nor Sandusky.

A one game suspension is weak, but that is my opinion. I guess it is an improvement over their past, but self control in life is an important lesson, especially with elite level persons (business, athletes, politics, military, police, etc.).

This is a strange thread...agree with Eric...no connection or hypocrisy that I can see. Good example of forum boredom after season is over. Cusefan95 how do you really feel? Hard to tell by your response. I sense you disagree but not sure.(dude to be clear i am joking)...for those who wish to turn this either into a Marrone/Shafer former coaching thread or Penn State pedophile thread please take up a hobby as those topics have been
B846C4D6-8493-4B53-88DC-B8A923972863.gif

I don't think that's what he's saying.

What he’s saying is stupid. It’s a statement that if anyone modifies they actions based on the results so that future actions are directly opposite of past actions, it’s hypocritical.

No opportunity for learning from past experience.

No opportunity for improvement.

Nope, all actions must maintain consistency or it’s hypocritical.

It’s not just a stupid take, it’s an incredibly depressing world view and frankly evil.

Reading skills and reasoning skills are important in life. Consistency would require that PSU and its cultic followers admit Sandusky, Paterno, the administration the AD Staff, the coaching staff, et al, are all guilty and make full amends, not s simple negotiated settlement/buy-off of the victims. God only knows how many more victims there were of Sandusky's abuse.

Check my past posts, you will probably find that I have not been a fan of PSU, Paterno nor Sandusky.

Amends were made. That they don’t meet your expectations or standards is your problem.

Your dislike of Penn State has left you totally irrational about anything related to Penn State...which probably explains why your takes about them are consistently stupid.

What he’s saying is stupid. It’s a statement that if anyone modifies they actions based on the results so that future actions are directly opposite of past actions, it’s hypocritical.

No opportunity for learning from past experience.

No opportunity for improvement.

Nope, all actions must maintain consistency or it’s hypocritical.

It’s not just a stupid take, it’s an incredibly depressing world view and frankly evil.
I interpreted as, if you're going to enforce the shove, the institution probably should have been enforcing much more serious and sinister things in the past.

I interpreted as, if you're going to enforce the shove, the institution probably should have been enforcing much more serious and sinister things in the past.

So to be consistent, they shouldn’t have enforced the shove.

It’s still a stupid take. I get the anger towards what happened...but a stupid take is a stupid take.

But the people at the institution are entirely new across the board. We wouldn't call recent German chancellors hypocrites for enforcing rules/punishing people simply because Hitler before them was incomprehensibly evil.

But the people at the institution are entirely new across the board. We wouldn't call recent German chancellors hypocrites for enforcing rules/punishing people simply because Hitler before them was incomprehensibly evil.
Sure we would.

Except for the thousands of supporters who still worship at the altar of JoPa, consider him a saint and created the culture that led to the perception that it was the Penn State football program that was the true victim of Sandusky's atrocities. I will never give the PSU the slightest benefit of the doubt until the Paterno name is stripped from anything associated with the University.

Except for the thousands of supporters who still worship at the altar of JoPa, consider him a saint and created the culture that led to the perception that it was the Penn State football program that was the true victim of Sandusky's atrocities. I will never give the PSU the slightest benefit of the doubt until the Paterno name is stripped from anything associated with the University.

Just speaking of my own perspective, but I know a lot of Penn State grads personally and professionally (ranging in age from 20s to 70s), and the overwhelming majority are horrified and embarrassed about that entire situation.

Anyway, enough PSU talk for me. Gametime.

The NCAA should’ve been more Carthaginian with their treatment of Penn State, regardless of how many people Eric knows who are “deeply, deeply troubled” as the football program continues to be a contender in the Big 10.

Amends were made. That they don’t meet your expectations or standards is your problem.

Your dislike of Penn State has left you totally irrational about anything related to Penn State...which probably explains why your takes about them are consistently stupid.

Is it irrational to expect an orgaization to learn a lesson from an epic failure? In most any field, abuse is automatic termination of employment. I have had to fire people for much less a shove by a coach. I work in the legal field, I see this issue too often. Shoving a person because you lose your cool is punishable, and often terminable, especially from anyone in management (i.e. coach). Without searching PSU policies, I can almost guarantee you that their policies and procedures would require a more severe punishment.

Maybe your defense of Penn State has left you totally irrational and stupid. You falsely accuse me of implying PSU should NOT punish the BBall coach for shoving a guy. I made my position clearer, you then falsely accuse me of being irrational because I would expect punishment to be appropriate to the the offending party's position/level of responsibility.

tOSU fired Woody Hayes for grabbing a player's face mask. Rutgers fired a coach for bouncing a ball off a player's head. You have yet to make an intelligent argument against my position, your arguments are merely personal attacks.

I am willing to consider others opinions. Eric 15 has posted his thoughts, and though I don't agree that PSU has punished the Hoops coach sufficiently, I respect that Eric 15 credits PSU for changing their behavior. We simply disagree to what degree PSU has changed.

PSU football deserved the death penalty, put the program on ice for 3 to 5 years. Then let the rebuild begin. It didn't happen leaving PSU stained forever.

Is it irrational to expect an orgaization to learn a lesson from an epic failure? In most any field, abuse is automatic termination of employment. I have had to fire people for much less a shove by a coach. I work in the legal field, I see this issue too often. Shoving a person because you lose your cool is punishable, and often terminable, especially from anyone in management (i.e. coach). Without searching PSU policies, I can almost guarantee you that their policies and procedures would require a more severe punishment.

Maybe your defense of Penn State has left you totally irrational and stupid. You falsely accuse me of implying PSU should NOT punish the BBall coach for shoving a guy. I made my position clearer, you then falsely accuse me of being irrational because I would expect punishment to be appropriate to the the offending party's position/level of responsibility.

tOSU fired Woody Hayes for grabbing a player's face mask. Rutgers fired a coach for bouncing a ball off a player's head. You have yet to make an intelligent argument against my position, your arguments are merely personal attacks.

I am willing to consider others opinions. Eric 15 has posted his thoughts, and though I don't agree that PSU has punished the Hoops coach sufficiently, I respect that Eric 15 credits PSU for changing their behavior. We simply disagree to what degree PSU has changed.

Nice post but just one minor modification in that Woody Hayes did more than grab a guy's facemask. He punched a Clemson player in the throat.

The NCAA should’ve been more Carthaginian with their treatment of Penn State, regardless of how many people Eric knows who are “deeply, deeply troubled” as the football program continues to be a contender in the Big 10.

"Carthaginian"?

Do you mean "Draconian"?