Penn State's shame: Did any adult ask what happened to the child? | Syracusefan.com

Penn State's shame: Did any adult ask what happened to the child?

sufan

Scout Team
This article points at the basic problem. The Grad Assistant, his father, Coach P, Curley, Schultz, the PSU President all treated this as a PSU decision: whether to notify police.

In my own view: the basic problem is:
the Grad Assistant who witnessed this act, should have reported this to the police. Each of the persons he spoke to should have insisted that the police be notified.

This act involved a victim: a child; the DA and police were the organizations responsible to conduct an investigation, determine if there prior incidents, interview the victim and his parent and determine if there was other relevant evidence. The job of the DA and the police is to protect the victim and the public.

The best analogy of the actions of the PSU officials seems to be how the church treated many similar incidences of abuse and decided it had the authority to be "judge and jury" and it was more important to protect the "brand" than to report a crime and protect the public and the victim.

By not reporting the incident to the DA and police, the PSU officials became enablers and entangled in Sandusky's acts: preventing a full investigation, preventing justice to the victim and allowing Sandusky to harm others.

This article points at the basic problem. The Grad Assistant, his father, Coach P, Curley, Schultz, the PSU President all treated this as a PSU decision: whether to notify police.

In my own view: the basic problem is:
the Grad Assistant who witnessed this act, should have reported this to the police. Each of the persons he spoke to should have insisted that the police be notified.

This act involved a victim: a child; the DA and police were the organizations responsible to conduct an investigation, determine if there prior incidents, interview the victim and his parent and determine if there was other relevant evidence. The job of the DA and the police is to protect the victim and the public.

The best analogy of the actions of the PSU officials seems to be how the church treated many similar incidences of abuse and decided it had the authority to be "judge and jury" and it was more important to protect the "brand" than to report a crime and protect the public and the victim.

By not reporting the incident to the DA and police, the PSU officials became enablers and entangled in Sandusky's acts: preventing a full investigation, preventing justice to the victim and allowing Sandusky to harm others.

By Paterno, Curley, Spanier et. al. not reporting to the police in 2002, they enabled more children to be sexually abused for the years after. Paterno needs to answer for the children that he allowed to be abused. It's on his hands as much as anyone else that enabled Sandusky.

Ask not what you can do for a child but what you can do to cover your ass.

By Paterno, Curley, Spanier et. al. not reporting to the police in 2002, they enabled more children to be sexually abused for the years after. Paterno needs to answer for the children that he allowed to be abused. It's on his hands as much as anyone else that enabled Sandusky.

2002 was after other instances that people knew about most especially 1998. 2002 should have never happened.

2002 was after other instances that people knew about most especially 1998. 2002 should have never happened.

home-simpson-fire-cereal-epic-fail.jpg

I usually HATE the whole "think of the children, OH MY GOD THE CHILDREN" crowd, but here, not one person in a position to do something thought about the freaking children. I know that 99% of us are preaching to the choir, but I can't wrap my head around this at all.