Penn Yan Wrecked by Floods | Syracusefan.com

Penn Yan Wrecked by Floods

10252171_10152477896987502_182457848996092322_n.jpg

That picture is about 300 ft from my dads shop. His shop is still standing, but everything in it is destroyed

Wow. Terrible. Anybody know it that's going to impact the wine harvest or wineries out there? Did the wineries get damaged too? Wanted to go in June.

Wow. Terrible. Anybody know it that's going to impact the wine harvest or wineries out there? Did the wineries get damaged too? Wanted to go in June.

Pretty sure the wineries will be fine. Seems like it mainly effected a few blocks in PY, and a few areas out of town, but most of Keuka should be fine. Seneca is fine. Heard Keuka lake has a ton of debris in it.

My dads shop is just down the hill from where this video was taken. If they say 8 to 12 feet where she is standing, then i gotta figure another 4 feet at the shop. You see a big white building in the video, at the end of the road, my dads shop is right across the street. Everything he owned, and 90% of my mothers stuff was in that shop.

that sucks. do most people in the area have flood insurance?

After the floods they had in Oneida NY last year I'd say most people in this area do not have flood insurance. I believe the city of Oneida now requires everyone who live in "the flats" to now carry flood insurance.

My dads shop is just down the hill from where this video was taken. If they say 8 to 12 feet where she is standing, then i gotta figure another 4 feet at the shop. You see a big white building in the video, at the end of the road, my dads shop is right across the street. Everything he owned, and 90% of my mothers stuff was in that shop.

Damn, sorry to hear about that man. Was just talking to my mom about this earlier. Hope our place out there is doing alright, but it doesn't sound like Dundee was hit too bad.

Damn, sorry to hear about that man. Was just talking to my mom about this earlier. Hope our place out there is doing alright, but it doesn't sound like Dundee was hit too bad.

My mom lives in Dundee, she said they didnt get hit very bad at all. Looks like PY got the brunt of it

After the floods they had in Oneida NY last year I'd say most people in this area do not have flood insurance. I believe the city of Oneida now requires everyone who live in "the flats" to now carry flood insurance.
Us flat rats got hit hard . My sister got hit hard . She is sharp , she had flood insurance .

Pretty sure the wineries will be fine. Seems like it mainly effected a few blocks in PY, and a few areas out of town, but most of Keuka should be fine. Seneca is fine. Heard Keuka lake has a ton of debris in it.
That's nasty. I lived there for 1.5 years back in the 80's and have fond memories. Towns like that will need a lot of help to recover. I'm sure they are financially strapped to begin with. Fortunately people are safe.

It's amazing and terrifying the amount of damage water can do! My hometown has had three "100 year floods" in the last twenty years. After each one fewer and fewer of the people and businesses rebuild. I hope Penn Yan can recover from this!

Hey guys, thanks for the good words, and the offers to help. My dad has always been a "help anyone do anything" kind of guy, and it seems like its paying off. He has a lot of friends offering to help. Once they open his road back up, someone is going to tow the jeep to their shop, and see if they can get it running again. Someone has a dumpster they are going to take down there for him, and lots of friends are going to help him start getting cleaned up, and see what can be salvaged.

He's staying with my Grandma for the time being, it will be a while I think before they get power, water and gas. That just means he will be spoiled with ham dinner every night!

There are a few fundraisers going, and I'll post them here.

PY cross fit. Their workout space was hit pretty hard. They were good to my wife when we went home on vaca, hopefully they can get everything back together.
http://www.gofundme.com/96f1x4

The Wagner Restaurant. Pretty sure anyone who has spent time in PY has eaten breakfast here. Or their all you can eat lunch buffet. The picture with the flipped over tractor trailer was right in their back yard.
http://www.gofundme.com/96yw38

Penn Yan Diner. Right across the street from the Wagner, this little diner is a part of Penn Yan history. I remember it for their amazing grilled cheese, and chocolate milk when I was a kid.
http://www.gofundme.com/97ntv8

PY Businesses- This was set up by a PYA classmate of mine. She will send the proceeds to any business that needs it.
http://www.gofundme.com/rebuildpy

If I see any more, I'll post them. The wife and I were only able to support one, while trying to help the old man, but every dollar counts. Hopefully I'll have a good weekend bartending, as I'd like to help out the Wagner and the Diner as well.

Again, thanks for all the kind words, and good wishes. Penn Yan is a good ol town, my facebook has been covered with people offering to help, stories of random strangers helping people, ect. We will be alright!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom