People are getting lost in the QB recruting issues | Syracusefan.com

People are getting lost in the QB recruting issues

upperdeck

Living Legend
You should look at it another way

We won games with TD as a FR
we won in 2019 with a walkon as a starter
we should have won in 2016 with Mahoney as a starter and scored 60 which should have been good enough but the D failed
in 2017 in his one start Culpepper threw for almost 300 which should have been good enough but the D failed

thats 4 yrs in a row with someone we didnt expect to be playing that we won/should have won games

so while maybe we havent gotten the next high end recruit to show up, if nothing else Dino has shown that the system when the oline functions can produce results from multiple QBs

No one knows what Summers can do, I doubt Culpepper has gotten worse in 3 yrs. Maybe the system when guys play it right can work without an elite guy. Elite guys might do crazy things, but until we get one and keep him on his feet who knows

I think being lost in the QB issue is justifiable at this point.

The only QB we successfully brought in that wasn't a late add is DeVito. It's been a few years now. It's weird. No reason to hide from that.

We saw in 2018 what a top QB can mean to a program. It is the most important position on the field. A injury to the starter can cripple an offense. Very justifiable to look hard at how we are doing there.

I wouldn’t count on Summers or Culpepper. Hopefully Culpepper doesn’t have to play next year. If he has to play for an extended period, SU is facing a losing season. We’ll see on Summers. He doesn’t have TD’s arm or accuracy.

1. Our offense is underperforming by our staff’s standards.

2. We should be adding at least one quality qb per cycle to keep up with not only the ACC, but the p5 in general.

3. Outside of the interior DL, our defensive recruiting is the least of my concerns. We’ve proved we can bring in competitive recruits here.

4. imo this is a magnifying glass on HS/FCS/G5 level assistant coaches getting big boy’d on the trail for QB’s year after year.

You should look at it another way

We won games with TD as a FR
we won in 2019 with a walkon as a starter
we should have won in 2016 with Mahoney as a starter and scored 60 which should have been good enough but the D failed
in 2017 in his one start Culpepper threw for almost 300 which should have been good enough but the D failed

thats 4 yrs in a row with someone we didnt expect to be playing that we won/should have won games

so while maybe we havent gotten the next high end recruit to show up, if nothing else Dino has shown that the system when the oline functions can produce results from multiple QBs

No one knows what Summers can do, I doubt Culpepper has gotten worse in 3 yrs. Maybe the system when guys play it right can work without an elite guy. Elite guys might do crazy things, but until we get one and keep him on his feet who knows
Is there really any other way to look at the QB position that is not a rationalization?

Regardless of the system, the QB position needs talent and depth. There is no other way to look at it, IMO.

I wouldn’t count on Summers or Culpepper. Hopefully Culpepper doesn’t have to play next year. If he has to play for an extended period, SU is facing a losing season. We’ll see on Summers. He doesn’t have TD’s arm or accuracy.
I would trade a strong arm for the ability to make pre-snap reads and locate the open receiver.

1. Our offense is underperforming by our staff’s standards.

2. We should be adding at least one quality qb per cycle to keep up with not only the ACC, but the p5 in general.

3. Outside of the interior DL, our defensive recruiting is the least of my concerns. We’ve proved we can bring in competitive recruits here.

4. imo this is a magnifying glass on HS/FCS/G5 level assistant coaches getting big boy’d on the trail for QB’s year after year.
I agree with all of this.

I think what’s really scary is being almost DEAD last in recruiting in the ACC.

we absolutely NEED to bring in a big time recruiter that can pulls some better athletes if want to truly be a powerhouse in football.

The funny thing, to me at least, is we've landed multiple quarterbacks every cycle. Not only have we signed a scholarship player every year, we've brought in a high quality walk on...every single year.
Don't get me wrong, we've missed...alot... and this cycle has been brutal, but I think this staff understands very well the importance of the position and they're going to bring the right people in. Patience. Everyone needs to be patient.

If any assistant not named Monroe was canned by this staff, would anyone here shed a tear?

Dino is working with amateurs who aren't cut out to get results at the P5 level. When JB ditched Orr and hired Weaver our fortunes turned. I think we're making too much out of our natural disadvantages. We need to pay for a staff that has a proven track record of closing and getting results.

Honestly I think QB is the least of the issues on the team. Elite would be great but as Welch shows a game manager makes us competitive and to me the oline is still whats gonna drive the bus.

I think what’s really scary is being almost DEAD last in recruiting in the ACC.

we absolutely NEED to bring in a big time recruiter that can pulls some better athletes if want to truly be a powerhouse in football.
We are 10th right now, I would say not bad after a losing season (not great).
We do need to get to the top 5 each year to be able to have a shot at winning year after year.

and wasn't this system supposed to attract QB's? I'm also curious as it is in a number of threads - where does our recruiting budget rank with our ACC peers? That seems like a hot excuse for our middling results.

we sucked most of this year and still it not a reach to think we could have gotten to 7-8 wins, 4-3 in the division by winning the pitt/nc st games and UL wasnt really out of reach if we score in the RZ the 2nd half.

even FSU you can see a way to win

Clemson is Clemson but no one else is playing at a level we cant beat right now.

We do need to get to the top 5 each year to be able to have a shot at winning year after year.

But the fruits of the 10 win season was supposed to be this class, I'm confused.

Espn has us rated 13th tho

They don't have LaBosse scouted and few others ranked in the "generic" 76/75 slot. I've never liked their site.
I was just going off what the all day site has, which seems to be a little bit pretty with actually scouting all the kids.

yeah the rankings are tough.

I’m not in love with this class, but I also don’t think it’s the worst class out there.

I’m not in love with this class, but I also don’t think it’s the worst class out there.
Agreed
Some solid to great pick ups
Some wait on final judgement kids
I'm hoping Feb brings some DL and QB to the class

10th ranked recruiting classes in the ACC, 4 games behind .500 in Dino’s time = slightly over performing our recruiting ranking = not good enough recruiting

it’s really that simple

if we get a game changer at QB, we might be able to reach top 2-5 in the conf one of his years here ala Dungey

and I’m serious about being bad at cheating

It's bad among our peers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom