people are too down on TD | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

people are too down on TD

I think it’s fair to offer criticism. I think the OP is saying not everything may be as crystal clear issues wise as some make it out to be. I think everyone agrees that we want Syracuse to be successful. My two cents. I think TDs learning has been warped a bit given circumstances. Someone says he has started 16 games. Does anyone know how many times in those 16 starts he was sacked? How about hit while throwing? How about hurries? Does anyone know how much per game we have rushed? I don’t know all the answers to the above but when ya can’t run the ball and when your team ranks 128 out of 130 in sacks per game(you can probably extrapolate hits and hurries as a ratio to sacks), I am not sure he has been in the most conducive environment for development. Add at least one rib cage injury to that as well. So it’s fair to criticize but let’s look at all the facts when coming to conclusions.

I think Tommy has all the arm skills and qb mechanics needed to be a great qb.

what he doesn’t have are the intangibles and feel for the game he should have by this point in his career. The stuff that can’t be taught or coached and comes from somewhere within. This doesn’t mean he can’t develop it, but right now he just doesn’t have it.

Tommy consistently, can not get past his first read and locks on to his hot route. If that single route isn’t available, he will do one of two things, hold on to the ball and take a sack or roll to the side and throw it away.

Many times it looks like Tommy is playing madden out there and constantly looking for the homerun ball on his first read. He needs to utilize the short inside throws and check downs that the defense gives him.

Many times, I think Tommy gets into his own head which is why when the game is close he struggles, but when the game is well out of hand he tends to look like a better qb.

Tommy gets the start this entire season without a doubt. However, next season, if play continues like this, his starting role will be challenged and re-evaluated. After all, he is a redshirt Junior. This is his fourth year. If he didn’t redshirt he would be a senior. Need to see progression.

Unfortunately I feel you are right. Not sure why. Had no problem pulling ED in his senior year for TD.

Rex is by far your 2nd best option right now and it's really not close. The two true freshman need time and is Summers even playing this year or with the team?

Agreed 1000%. I don’t think he was great by any means, but certainly serviceable. When 30% of ur throws are low percentage shots down the field into double coverage, w receivers who have apparently forgot how to catch the ball, and pass protection that was basically nonexistent, then odds are you’re gonna have a pretty rough day
As someone who played/coaches QBs, I can’t tell you how important it is for one to get comfortable. I think we have to give him some really simple reads/throws early on. This will:
-obviously raise his confidence level, which is so important during the game for a QB
-gets him in a rhythm, also super important
-gets other skill players involved in game, gets them comfortable
-makes up for lackluster protection
-decreases the odds for a 3 and out, let’s the defense rest longer
-and most importantly, saves the shot plays for LATER on in the game. By doing this you’ve got guys who are hopefully now in some sort of rhythm, and you’ve got the defense worried about the short game. Once the safeties come creeping up, it’ll be there every time. Coaches need to help him out
I agree 100% and have been saying that since Lewis left.

Rex is by far your 2nd best option right now and it's really not close. The two true freshman need time and is Summers even playing this year or with the team?

In the game thread, I think it was phat who said that Summers didn't travel to UNC. Maybe he's hurt, but maybe the two freshmen passed him by. Would that really surprise anyone?

It's possible that we get lucky with those 2 freshmen, but late in the cycle recruits like that are typically late in the cycle for a reason.

I think we're going to pay the price for our QB recruiting gap (and Amie leaving). Lamson seems like an ideal recruit, but anyone expecting miracles from him in year 1, maybe even year 2, is expecting the wrong thing.

We could use a transfer for depth. Won't be a grad transfer because no one is going to do that to be a backup in DeVito's final season. But if there's a 1st or 2nd year player on a team right now who finds himself unhappy by season's end, we should be targeting that.

He can learn while he sits out a year because he'll have to sit out a year since we don't have enough $$/juice to 'influence' the NCAA's immediate waiver decisions. (not that I'm bitter).

Consensus was our short passing game would get even better, because Tommy had more zip on those passes.
And the bubble screens that he could get to the WR quicker and with more accuracy.

Agree it’s not that simple but Tommy needs to play better. So does everyone else

difference I have with many is I think they can and will
That is an excellent summary on a lot of the posts on the forum. True faith vs Blind Faith vs No Faith.

help the kid out with a run game. Same crap as last year.

help the kid out with a run game. Same crap as last year.
Or the short passing game like we did the first two years under Dino. We had trouble scoring but at least moved the ball. And maybe that would lossen things up for the run.

Unfortunately I feel you are right. Not sure why. Had no problem pulling ED in his senior year for TD.
I thought that was wrong. Maybe after a couple of games with the new coaches, he will get it together. If not the pampering needs to end.

unc has a stud QB who threw INTs. Ours didnt.. One big difference was that UNC oline did a better job of letting the 2-3 read get thrown too.

pre-snap isnt always about where to throw its about where to look. What i wish we were better at and one thing ED did at times was take what the D gives you and not always throw to where the play is designed. It hurt us too but also led to moving the ball and accepting that 4-5 yds passes are a good thing.

There was one clear example Sat where the slot was uncovered on 3rd down but we threw else where. I think sometimes we have to just take the first down when as a team we struggle to move the chains.. And others have said the same thing, maybe less of where we are supposed to go and more on just making positive plays.

But if teams like Clemson are gonna man you all over, and you cant get open there is no pre-post snap reads, you need to trust someone can win a man-o-man battle. And they want to take the 4 on then you have 6-7 in the box and thats hard to run against too.

lets see where we are after the GT game.
IMO, TD is so worried about throwing picks it effects his willingness to trust his arm. Some interceptions are worst than others. I think he is consciously worried about his stats.

I think Tommy has all the arm skills and qb mechanics needed to be a great qb.

what he doesn’t have are the intangibles and feel for the game he should have by this point in his career. The stuff that can’t be taught or coached and comes from somewhere within. This doesn’t mean he can’t develop it, but right now he just doesn’t have it.

Tommy consistently, can not get past his first read and locks on to his hot route. If that single route isn’t available, he will do one of two things, hold on to the ball and take a sack or roll to the side and throw it away.

Many times it looks like Tommy is playing madden out there and constantly looking for the homerun ball on his first read. He needs to utilize the short inside throws and check downs that the defense gives him.

Many times, I think Tommy gets into his own head which is why when the game is close he struggles, but when the game is well out of hand he tends to look like a better qb.

Tommy gets the start this entire season without a doubt. However, next season, if play continues like this, his starting role will be challenged and re-evaluated. After all, he is a redshirt Junior. This is his fourth year. If he didn’t redshirt he would be a senior. Need to see progression.
This is where we disagree...he locks in on his preferred receiver and rarely identifies his "hot read" which leads to panic.

Agreed, last year it was Jackson and this year it's clearly Harris. Not a lot of distribution of wealth
I'm worried that since the ND game in 2018 that TD might be suffering from "Andrew Robinson Syndrome" .

I'm worried that since the ND game in 2018 that TD might be suffering from "Andrew Robinson Syndrome" .

Combo of 3 things IMO, afraid to make a mistake almost robotic at times with no feel, Andrew robinson syndrome, which I understand and think we need QB's that can run the ball ( improvise as well as called runs) and the tunnel vision. I will also add that once D coordinators have been able to game plan for Devito is record his less than stellar.

I always comeback to the 2 primary receivers looked very good as freshman and a sophomores but now I read that they can't play at this level or variation thereof too often. Are they too small to play in the NFL? Sure doesn't mean they can't be productive at this level.

100% correct.

Think about how many times he scrambles right, and to his credit he does keep his eyes down field, but never actually passes to anyone. This goes back to last year too. Is it possible that there has never been anyone who has come open?

I think this is going to be something that haunts him in his goal to play on Sundays. He needs to start pulling the trigger.

Summers didn't travel and has been MIA all camp. Any day now one of the beat writers can ask the question where is he.

yeah, kid was most likely going to be the back up, disappears and nobody has asked the question. Something going on there for sure

Think about how many times he scrambles right, and to his credit he does keep his eyes down field, but never actually passes to anyone. This goes back to last year too. Is it possible that there has never been anyone who has come open?

I think this is going to be something that haunts him in his goal to play on Sundays. He needs to start pulling the trigger.

TD rolling to the right just about every time makes it that much more difficult for WR's to get open.

I am not as much down on Devito but his ceiling continues to lower game by game, IMO. Floor certainly isn't HORRIBLE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom