People we were 8-5 last year, anyone who thinks we haven't turned | Syracusefan.com

People we were 8-5 last year, anyone who thinks we haven't turned

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
a corner under Marrone is insane and I like to usually make arguments like this for the hell of it, but come on now. We played like and lost, should have won by 14-17 points but didn't. As I have said, 100 times Syracuse and Rutgers are two evenly matched teams, we made too many mistakes and I give Rutgers a lot of credit, they hung in there and never quit

FWIW, Wake wins again yesterday, Toledo throttled Temple.. This team will continue to get better,

Agreed IB good post still this one really hurts and may have cost us a bowl.

We are not evenly matched. RU is an awful FB team. We played down to their level, let them hang around and got burnt. Worst loss since Temple of 2004.

That being said, Marrone has turned the program around no doubt.

a corner under Marrone is insane and I like to usually make arguments like this for the hell of it, but come on now. We played like **** and lost, should have won by 14-17 points but didn't. As I have said, 100 times Syracuse and Rutgers are two evenly matched teams, we made too many mistakes and I give Rutgers a lot of credit, they hung in there and never quit

FWIW, Wake wins again yesterday, Toledo throttled Temple.. This team will continue to get better,
i need some convincing that we haven't just turned the corner under shafer. marrone was due to lose a close game, he still has a good record in close games which says something about the toughness and discipline. but they haven't turned a corner on offense in conference games. not even close.

Louisville lost to Marshall, UConn lost to Western Michigan...this game didn't help our bowl chances, but if we don't make a bowl it'll be because we poop the sheets in more games than this.

We haven't turned a cornor. We are better. Last years 8 wins included 2 wins against lower division teams and Akron, maybe the worst d-1 team. Things went well for us in 3 close games and the Pinstripe bowl. Great. But let's not make it something it isn't. Where is the recruiting success?

The concern is we turned the corner and stopped.

Five games in we have yet to out four quarters of football together. We have very experienced seniors like Bailey giving away twp fumbles and Sharpe giving away two first downs. We have flawed special teams in areas that should be he easiest to fix (basic block assignments and long snapping) and a very experienced offense that shut itself down yesterday thanks to coaching and execution.

So f**k turning the corner and being happy about that or how much better it is than when GClown was here. Show this Damn discipline on the field and take care if business at home. Period.

Our schedule last yr was embarrassing. Everyone would turn a corner against that crap.

a corner under Marrone is insane and I like to usually make arguments like this for the hell of it, but come on now. We played like **** and lost, should have won by 14-17 points but didn't. As I have said, 100 times Syracuse and Rutgers are two evenly matched teams, we made too many mistakes and I give Rutgers a lot of credit, they hung in there and never quit

Agree for the most part but I come out of that game yesterday feeling we were the better football team that gift-wrapped a W. I really don't think we were as evenly matched as I thought. I actually thought Rutgers was better going into the game. Not coming out of it though.

The concern is we turned the corner and stopped.

Five games in we have yet to out four quarters of football together. We have very experienced seniors like Bailey giving away twp fumbles and Sharpe giving away two first downs. We have flawed special teams in areas that should be he easiest to fix (basic block assignments and long snapping) and a very experienced offense that shut itself down yesterday thanks to coaching and execution.

So f**k turning the corner and being happy about that or how much better it is than when GClown was here. Show this Damn discipline on the field and take care if business at home. Period.

Agree, time to stop looking back to how bad we were before, we're obviously not that bad anymore. Now we need our offensive minded head coach to find a way to generate more offense, especially in home conference games.

I'll be somewhat comforted if Rutgers turns out to be some super defense, but I just don't know that I'm going to see that, Ohio U threw for over 300 against them last week.

We make an unbelievable amount of mistakes. Those aren't all on the coaches, some players need to make plays. But not all on the players either.

And some of the calls, as discussed here plenty, were head scratchers. Want to be a hard nosed running team who's not running on 3rd and inches, 1st and goal at the 4, not going for it on 4th and a foot. We're not a punt blocking team, but we go for one right there? It's not just hindsight stuff, most were saying that right away.

Oh well, it was a tough week for the staff, they need to get over it. Felt like the entire offense played tight. Need to relax now and destroy Tulane (like Army just did) then regroup for the week off.

Haven't read the whole board yet, but hope there isn't too much fire the coach stuff. That's crazy. The coaching staff had a terrible game, they know it, let's see where we go.

Agree, time to stop looking back to how bad we were before, we're obviously not that bad anymore. Now we need our offensive minded head coach to find a way to generate more offense, especially in home conference games.

I'll be somewhat comforted if Rutgers turns out to be some super defense, but I just don't know that I'm going to see that, Ohio U threw for over 300 against them last week.

We make an unbelievable amount of mistakes. Those aren't all on the coaches, some players need to make plays. But not all on the players either.

And some of the calls, as discussed here plenty, were head scratchers. Want to be a hard nosed running team who's not running on 3rd and inches, 1st and goal at the 4, not going for it on 4th and a foot. We're not a punt blocking team, but we go for one right there? It's not just hindsight stuff, most were saying that right away.

Oh well, it was a tough week for the staff, they need to get over it. Felt like the entire offense played tight. Need to relax now and destroy Tulane (like Army just did) then regroup for the week off.

Haven't read the whole board yet, but hope there isn't too much fire the coach stuff. That's crazy. The coaching staff had a terrible game, they know it, let's see where we go.
we're all noticing a pattern that when marrone is a miserable sob during the week, they won't be able to do on offense on saturday.

we're all noticing a pattern that when marrone is a miserable sob during the week, they won't be able to do on offense on saturday.

Haha -- so true. Thats why i watch the pressers religiously

should be 4-2 headed into the game against WVU. 4 years ago, we'd be 0-5 headed into that game. improvements have been made.

We are not evenly matched. RU is an awful FB team. We played down to their level, let them hang around and got burnt. Worst loss since Temple of 2004.

That being said, Marrone has turned the program around no doubt.
Yes, Rutgers is awful, but awful because of the way the team is run.

Rutgers has a lot of physical talent - more than SU at this point. They are long, strong and fast. And they play hard.
But their schemes and they're decision making on the sidelines are both inept.

It's hard to believe that Schiano has been there 11 years and is still coaching as if he just took over the program.

The decision to change QBs was a bad mistake - one that should have backfired badly.

Yes, Rutgers is awful, but awful because of the way the team is run.

Rutgers has a lot of physical talent - more than SU at this point. They are long, strong and fast. And they play hard.
But their schemes and they're decision making on the sidelines are both inept.

It's hard to believe that Schiano has been there 11 years and is still coaching as if he just took over the program.

The decision to change QBs was a bad mistake - one that should have backfired badly.

Nah. We are more talented at QB, RB, TE, and OL on the O. On D I think we are more talented at DB. Our LBs are more talented but raw. And the DL is on par. If their D scheme was inept what does that make our O coaches yesterday? And how was the QB change a mistake? It was obvious that Dodd was done this game. He doesn't have the arm to fit tight throws in vs our Zone D or throw it down the field. The only way RU could move the ball was via the big play. Dodd stays in and RU never scores the second half.

I agree that Shady is inept as a HC though.

You mean like WVU, So. Florida, Cincy, and K-State?

LOL - our SOS was about 65. It included two D1AA teams. Not one, two! Not a single team you list and seem to get so excited over ended up in the AP's top 25. ONLY ONE OF THOSE TEAMS EVEN HAD ANY AP VOTES AT THE END OF THE YEAR (WV WITH 16. FOR CONTEXT, SAN DIEGO STATE HAD 52 VOTES). WV was ranked 32d in the country.

So, thats exactly who I mean.

Playing a schedule that included no year-end top 25 teams, with a highest ranked team of 32!, and two 1AA teams, Marone went 8-5. Lets put him in the hall of fame now. Half the people on this board could go 8-5 with that BS schedule. CIL could probably go 10-3. 'Bees might be able to go undefeated.

Man, its a sad day when Marrone apologists are getting excited over the 2010 schedule.

You and I see talent quite differently. (You think Provo is as athletically gifted as the Rutgers TE? Really?)

Rutgers has far and away more athletes than we d0 - it's not really even close at this stage. And they should have more athletes - Schiano has been been there for eleven years - he has had a lot of time to develope his program. Marrone is just starting his third year. So, nobody should be surprised by the talent differential at this point.

To answer your questions. We struggled on offense because Rutgers was big, fast, strong and agressive on defense. And there was nothing inept about the Rutgers' defensive scheme - not at all - they played great defense. Marrone admitted that they schemed us well, leading to the first bad INT of Nassib. When I mentioned schemes, I was thinking more in terms of offensive schemes and personnel schemes.

Dodd ran an offense that possessed the ball nearly the entire first half. He was managing the game.

The true frosh Nova, was lucky - he was lost out there for most of the game. He threw a pick-six that was dropped. He did little more than throw prayers - a couple of which happened to be caught by Rutgers' long, athletic WRs. Rutgers scored a TD because SU gave up the ball following a blocked FG attempt and didn't get the ball in the endzone during the OT.

The QB change was panic move by a coach who tends to panic. He changes QBs and assistant coaches at the drop of the hat.

Schiano is inept in the sense that he does not manage well - he knows football and clearly recruits well. But, he does not manage games, players or coaches well far as I can see and based upon what I have been told.

LOL - our SOS was about 65. It included two D1AA teams. Not one, two! Not a single team you list and seem to get so excited over ended up in the AP's top 25. ONLY ONE OF THOSE TEAMS EVEN HAD ANY AP VOTES AT THE END OF THE YEAR (WV WITH 16. FOR CONTEXT, SAN DIEGO STATE HAD 52 VOTES). WV was ranked 32d in the country.

Playing a schedule that included no year-end top 25 teams, with a highest ranked team of 32!, and two 1AA teams, Marone went 8-5. Lets put him in the hall of fame now. Half the people on this board could go 8-5 with that BS schedule. CIL could probably go 10-3. 'Bees might be able to go undefeated.

Man, its a sad day when Marrone apologists are getting excited over the 2010 schedule.
Actually none of us but you seems interested in the 2010 schedule.

Agreed. We will be fine. Yesterday gave the coaches a number of teachable moments. Lets hope all learned.

Actually none of us but you seems interested in the 2010 schedule.

very smart move. changing the subjects was a brilliant move b/c you dug yourself quite a hole bragging about the 2010 competition.

give it up, you were wrong about him when he was hired, and you're wrong now.

(You think Provo is as athletically gifted as the Rutgers TE? Really?)

Jefferson has 3 catches all year and none the last two games. I don't know or care which one is faster, stronger, or can jump higher. What I do know is that Provo is the better and more talented TE.