Per Donna about Tyus | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Per Donna about Tyus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean...in a way they do...they get a more "star players" more chances

This is utter nonsense. Joel Berry wasn't on G league mocks after one year.

so far we pointed out two programs who get thier kids to come back. we arent saying SU is the only school but we are saying we do have bad luck

They never played here so obviously we don't but just look at the trends of our players and their players.

Are you posting under two user names now? :) I'm going to reference my good friend General20 post from the other day with these stats (It was actually 137 college players that left early last year)

"Last year 140+ undergrads declared for the draft and only 20+ were first round pics (Im sure someone can look up the exact numbers). You know which schools are getting burned by players leaving early? The 100+ schools that had players leave who had no realistic shot of being drafted in round one. That never happens here."

Reggie Bullock too. They also overcame having to kick PJ Hairston off the team early in his arrival there.

I recall when Ennis was a frosh, Marcus Paige was as well, I believe. There was talk how Paige was a better pg (at that time) and that he was projected to go before Ennis in the draft. I also recall Ennis' frosh year in the late season game against UVA, where we got beat badly at Virginia. I remember being miffed on all this talk of Ennis going in the draft, when he was getting totally outplayed by another frosh guard (Perrentes) that I (or anyone for that matter except UVA fans) had never heard of until that game. Perrentes ended up staying all 4 years and is currently on the Cavs roster.

Are you posting under two user names now? :) I'm going to reference my good friend General20 post from the other day with these stats (It was actually 137 college players that left early last year)

"Last year 140+ undergrads declared for the draft and only 20+ were first round pics (Im sure someone can look up the exact numbers). You know which schools are getting burned by players leaving early? The 100+ schools that had players leave who had no realistic shot of being drafted in round one. That never happens here."
One out of every 7 sounds about right. Funny, listening to all the "draft experts" on here, you'd think every kid should jump the second his name appears on a mock.

I recall when Ennis was a frosh, Marcus Paige was as well, I believe. There was talk how Paige was a better pg (at that time) and that he was projected to go before Ennis in the draft. I also recall Ennis' frosh year in the late season game against UVA, where we got beat badly at Virginia. I remember being miffed on all this talk of Ennis going in the draft, when he was getting totally outplayed by another frosh guard (Perrentes) that I (nor anyone for that matter) had never heard of until that game. Perrentes ended up staying all 4 years and is currently on the Cavs roster.

Paige was never ranked ahead of Ennis. Ennis had the better freshman year. It wasn't close really.

EDIT-Perrantes averaged 5 points a game on sub 40% shooting his freshman year. He was an inefficient role player at best.

Last edited:
we had CMAC leave when he was injured so do you really think those players would stay? youre in the minoirty on this

Yea, not really.

so far we pointed out two programs who get thier kids to come back. we arent saying SU is the only school but we are saying we do have bad luck

One program. It’s an outlier. SU is not unique.

This is a really interesting point. I marvel every year that they seem to hold onto their bigs much longer than you'd expect, but if you look at the NBA game now, the bigs they get aren't really the "NBA" type. Not long range shooters, and can't really step out and guard the bigs in the NBA who really stretch the floor. I hadn't really thought of that before.
That's right, it's easier to hold onto your talented bigs when their measurables and skill sets don't match up with what NBA teams currently value the most. I'm not sure Roy consciously recruits players he thinks will fall into that category, but he seems to get a lot of them. A healthy DaJuan Coleman would have been that guy for SU.

I recall when Ennis was a frosh, Marcus Paige was as well, I believe. There was talk how Paige was a better pg (at that time) and that he was projected to go before Ennis in the draft. I also recall Ennis' frosh year in the late season game against UVA, where we got beat badly at Virginia. I remember being miffed on all this talk of Ennis going in the draft, when he was getting totally outplayed by another frosh guard (Perrentes) that I (or anyone for that matter except UVA fans) had never heard of until that game. Perrentes ended up staying all 4 years and is currently on the Cavs roster.

And Ennis has 3 years of earning on him while perrentes wasn’t drafted.

Only 20k after 4 years at SU that is cheap. That will be gone fast.
I can’t wait for 2019 when my loans of 7 years undergrad/law school are paid off. I could pay it off now but I like the monthly payment plan I got.

If you do work for non-profits/public sector you can reduce it I bet.
Oh it's paid off. Paid it off like early 2014. Thankfully.

I also tend to think our system can showcase guys for the NBA, especially right now. Big, tall guards and Lengthy players that can shoot a 3 (like Lydon) are en vogue in the nba right now. Plus we give guys the chance to play major minutes. At some other schools they’d play 25-30 vs the 40 here. I’d have to imagine that counts for something.

I’d be more worried if we had guys sniffing the second round and leaving. But guys getting coached up and improving over their HS rankings is a good thing. Not sure why everyone gets so upset about this.

Guys like Grant leaving early for the second round are rare. Plus there were family and money reasons at stake there. And most talent evaluators thought he was going to provide a lot of value in the second round, which has proven true. Even a guy like battle early in second round would be a good value pick in my mind. Nba body, has shown a good mental toughness, smart kid, good family. You could do much worse than having a second or third string guard in the nba than battle. You’ll never be wanting for effort and I’ll be rooting for him no matter when he goes.

I also tend to think our system can showcase guys for the NBA, especially right now. Big, tall guards and Lengthy players that can shoot a 3 (like Lydon) are en vogue in the nba right now. Plus we give guys the chance to play major minutes. At some other schools they’d play 25-30 vs the 40 here. I’d have to imagine that counts for something.

I’d be more worried if we had guys sniffing the second round and leaving. But guys getting coached up and improving over their HS rankings is a good thing. Not sure why everyone gets so upset about this.

Guys like Grant leaving early for the second round are rare. Plus there were family and money reasons at stake there. And most talent evaluators thought he was going to provide a lot of value in the second round, which has proven true. Even a guy like battle early in second round would be a good value pick in my mind. Nba body, has shown a good mental toughness, smart kid, good family. You could do much worse than having a second or third string guard in the nba than battle. You’ll never be wanting for effort and I’ll be rooting for him no matter when he goes.
Outstanding post. You nailed it in all three paragraphs.

Guys leaving isn’t a problem when we have guys to replace them. Now that probation is pretty much over, hopefully the cupboard will stay stocked.

I could be forgetting but I don’t remember most being that worried about guys like Johnson, Waiters, Fab Melo leaving early...because we had guys ready to step into those minutes. Wes Johnson is going pro? Ok, we’ve got Joseph and Southerland back and CJ Fair coming in. Melo is leaving? Got Christmas and Keita, with Coleman coming in.

It’s the prospect of being left with 2 playable guards...or forwards that makes people freak out IMO.

For what its worth it's been almost ten years since Lawson and Ellington played at UNC. And someone please show me where Jackson would have been a first rounder in 2016? SI had him projected as a second rounder.

And Ennis has 3 years of earning on him while perrentes wasn’t drafted.

No doubt. Not debating at all that Ennis made the right decision, just miffed at what they (NBA folk) actually saw in him that warranted a #18 pick, when some of the fellow frosh he went up against were outplaying him. I'm not surprised at all that in Ennis' relatively short stint in the NBA he has been, for the most part, a backup type & journeyman, which, if he's able to stay in the league, will likely not change.

No doubt. Not debating at all that Ennis made the right decision, just miffed at what they (NBA folk) actually saw in him that warranted a #18 pick, when some of the fellow frosh he went up against were outplaying him. I'm not surprised at all that in Ennis' relatively short stint in the NBA he has been, for the most part, a backup type & journeyman, which, if he's able to stay in the league, will likely not change.

If Tyler could shoot better, he’d be a starter. For some reason he just never quite hits enough. He’s a good pick and roll PG. He’s very good at reading the screen and creating separation into the lane. The jumper just has never really come around.

Hot take:

I almost don't want Battle to come back. If he does we'll have a good season but most likely won't win a National Championship (it's really hard to do). Then I'll be thinking about what if we had Bazley just like I'll always think what if about AO and Fab Melo.

Hot take:

I almost don't want Battle to come back. If he does we'll have a good season but most likely won't win a National Championship (it's really hard to do). Then I'll be thinking about what if we had Bazley just like I'll always think what if about AO and Fab Melo.
This has to be the most pessimistic ignorant post in at least 24 hours on the board

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.