Per Donna about Tyus | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Per Donna about Tyus

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Tyus is coming back I think Tyus and Cuse Basketball will tweet out a message and also a special video. Oshae tweeted out he was coming back and later Cuse had a video with his highlights and an interview with him announcing his return.

If Tyus comes back it is a big deal for Syracuse hoops and they should treat it that way.

I like the idea of not doing anything. The idea of going about your business and not making a spectacle of upholding the scholarship you were given is a pretty nice gesture.

The team is about everyone, not one guy who decided he was good enough to grace them with one more year.

Do people think Bazley not coming has something to do with Battle possibly staying? This may have been discussed but I don’t remember it and my eyes are having trouble focusing with all the reading I’ve been doing.

So, if I recall rightly, Brissett did not particularly care for Bazley when he came calling. But Brissett and Battle like each other and can play together without being threatened. All of our players had a LOT of fun playing as a TEAM those last few days. They realized they had something pretty sweet going. Then the sadness of the loss, and the melancholy of bidding adieu to Battle (can’t you just hear it, “Adieu, big guy, adieu! Sob.”). The realization that grandstanding Bazley was coming to town, and wondering if he and Brissett were ultimately going to have a duel at dawn? Team morale shattered, chemistry destroyed . .

Wait. What was I talking about? Oh yeah, please reference the above question.

People on here had me convinced that if Tyus tried to get drafted after JR year he'd be like the oldest dude to ever do so...

...but it's really not that bad. From ESPN's latest mock draft, Battle (at age 21.5) would be comparable to:

#10 - Mikal Bridges (21.6)
#17 - Aaron Holiday (21.5)
#19 - K. Bates Diop (22.2)
#23 - Khyri Thomas (21.9)
#24 - Jacob Evans (20.8)
#26 - Jalen Brunson (21.6)
#27 - Bruce Brown (21.6)
#28 - Chandler Hutchison (21.9)
#29 - Battle (20.5)
#30 - Grayson Allen (22.4)
#31 - Shake Milton (21.5)
#32 - Melvin Frazier (21.6)

There's 12 guys right there, in midst of first round, most of which would still be older than Tyus if he came out next year instead!

SMH. I should know better then to just trust these kinds of "facts" without doing my own research.

Last edited:
People on here had me convinced that if Tyus tried to get drafted after JR year he'd be like the oldest dude to ever do so...

...but it's really not that bad. From ESPN's latest mock draft, Battle (at age 21.5) would be comparable to:

#24 - Jacob Evans (20.8)
#27 - Bruce Brown (21.6)
#29 - Battle

There's 12 guys right there, in midst of first round, most of which would still be older than Tyus if he came out next year instead!

SMH. I should know better then to just trust these kinds of "facts" without doing my own research.
Good post. Victor Oladipo stayed 3 years at Indiana and that didn’t keep him from being drafted #2 overall. Now he’s turning into one of the top players in the league.

Do people think Bazley not coming has something to do with Battle possibly staying? This may have been discussed but I don’t remember it and my eyes are having trouble focusing with all the reading I’ve been doing.

So, if I recall rightly, Brissett did not particularly care for Bazley when he came calling. But Brissett and Battle like each other and can play together without being threatened. All of our players had a LOT of fun playing as a TEAM those last few days. They realized they had something pretty sweet going. Then the sadness of the loss, and the melancholy of bidding adieu to Battle (can’t you just hear it, “Adieu, big guy, adieu! Sob.”). The realization that grandstanding Bazley was coming to town, and wondering if he and Brissett were ultimately going to have a duel at dawn? Team morale shattered, chemistry destroyed . .

Wait. What was I talking about? Oh yeah, please reference the above question.

Is that true?

I just feel that one thing needs to be said about Darius Bazley: he's gotten a reputation in these parts as being a me-first player. However, in high school and AAU he was the exact opposite-- the ultimate team-first player.

Dave Siok and Jason Cipolla think Tyus is back

Dave Coulier (of "Full House" fame), Marty Jannetty (of "The Rockers") & Sarah Palin all think he is back as well.

However, Chris "Mac Daddy" Kelly (of "Kris Kross" fame) & Lark Voorhies (aka Lisa Turtle) think he gone.

Gonna be a close one for sure.

Anybody else seeing any high profile predictions? Please share

Last edited:
I just feel that one thing needs to be said about Darius Bazley: he's gotten a reputation in these parts as being a me-first player. However, in high school and AAU he was the exact opposite-- the ultimate team-first player.

Exactly. He was the greatest thing since sliced bread when he was coming here, now that he's not there are 'whispers' about his character and that he might be a divisive presence. Puh-lease.

#24 - Jacob Evans (20.8)
#27 - Bruce Brown (21.6)
#29 - Battle (20.5)

In what way is a mock draft a fact?

Do the numbers from the actual drafts. You find the sweet spot is absolutely below 21

Exactly. He was the greatest thing since sliced bread when he was coming here, now that he's not there are 'whispers' about his character and that he might be a divisive presence. Puh-lease.

He didn't have the best official visit, so I think a lot of it comes from that. On the court, however, there's been nothing to even hint at him being a selfish player.

He didn't have the best official visit, so I think a lot of it comes from that. On the court, however, there's been nothing to even hint at him being a selfish player.

Off the court matters, too. His actions over the last month tell me he is a selfish person. Trailblazer, whatever it is you want to call it.

In what way is a mock draft a fact?

Do the numbers from the actual drafts. You find the sweet spot is absolutely below 21

Yeah, I prob shouldn't have used a mock draft to analyze, but it had ages easily noted.

Cursory look at past 3 drafts looks like 25-30% of players picked in top ~35 or so selections were JRs or SRs.

So, agree that it trends young, but not as absolute as some people seem to make it sound, IMO.

Plus, if you were to normalize for the sure fire FR "one & dones" each year, that would make it a better analysis. Cause if we are honest, Battle is not on that level. And the argument is about staying for JR year or leaving after Soph year. So it is a better comp to just focus on those types of players IMO

Off the court matters, too. His actions over the last month tell me he is a selfish person. Trailblazer, whatever it is you want to call it.

Off the court absolutely matters. He's a great kid off the court. Does a ton of charity work, is heavily involved in the community. If you choose to label how he handled things as selfish, that's certainly your right and it wouldn't be out of bounds.

Off the court absolutely matters. He's a great kid off the court. Does a ton of charity work, is heavily involved in the community. If you choose to label how he handled things as selfish, that's certainly your right and it wouldn't be out of bounds.

As far as Darius Bazley is concerned, facts are irrelevant. All that matters is aggressive, scorching takes. The further removed you are from the situation, the better.

Certainly not an insider, but I'm familiar enough with the Bazley situation to say this is true. He's a great kid.

At most - it wasn't handled in the best way. A bit immature on his part to not inform the coaches earlier. But he's young, he's allowed to make mistakes. You live and you learn.

Certainly not an insider, but I'm familiar enough with the Bazley situation to say this is true. He's a great kid.

At most - it wasn't handled in the best way. A bit immature on his part to not inform the coaches earlier. But he's young, he's allowed to make mistakes. You live and you learn.

I had the opportunity to interview him last year after his commitment. He was nothing but polite and very easy to deal with. I do think he could've handled things better, as far as letting the coaches know sooner. It'd be interesting to see if that would've changed people's perceptions of him. I kind of doubt it. Some are acting like jilted lovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom