Perilously close.. | Syracusefan.com

Perilously close..

VeryCuse

Walk On
"I don't care what our record is -- we've had seven games, including this one, that could have easily gone the other way," Boeheim said. "All seven games, somebody has made a play. That's a good attribute to have, but it also reminds you that you're perilously close to having three or four losses." From ESPN

I think Jim has a real way with words. Among other things.

Its good and bad. We have not only made plays offensively but we have picked up our defense in these situations as well. I think JB will be upset with this one because of the 2nd part of the 1st half, we let up, got sloppy and let them get some confidence. It took many many consecutive mistakes to allow them to start making shots and building confidence. We helped them up and I believe JB wants his guys to know its good to be able to win close ones but some of these should not be close.

He is right. I described it earlier this week as flawless execution down the stretch. Every time, somebody who needed to make a play, made it. It was seemingly a different guy every time. It's amazing how good we have been in the last 3:00 of games, and our ability to close, its uncanny.

It does concern me that we can not put away a team like Miami when we havevthem down 26-8. On a positive note, I never really felt this onevwas slipping away.

We are a very good team. We are not a great team.

Great teams overpower good opponents. We find a way to squeak by good opponents, as well as mediocre ones. There has been nothing inevitable about a half dozen of our wins.
I'm going to respectively disagree with you. Even teams that go on to win championships in different sports have "slumps". What was the last team to go undefeated in any sport. It hasn't happened since Indiana in 1976. That was 38 years ago. I know you are not saying that there hasn't been any great teams since then but maybe you are. You can't overpower everyone, even mediocre teams. Look how hot Miami was from three today. It happens.

Great teams overpower good opponents. We find a way to squeak by good opponents, as well as mediocre ones. There has been nothing inevitable about a half dozen of our wins.
great teams win all of their games?

props to Keita too, he really had a solid game. I think the more I hate on him during the game the better he plays...So I'm just going to keep saying he sucks so he can prove me wrong. It has become a superstition for me.

props to Keita too, he really had a solid game. I think the more I hate on him during the game the better he plays...So I'm just going to keep saying he sucks so he can prove me wrong. It has become a superstition for me.
He came up big on some offensive boards and quick layups. Also, some nice quick tap back passes to Cooney to get Cooney some looks. Sad that Keita had to be the one to make that happen though.

AccuRater said:

I agree 100% with this. There is a huge difference between this team and the 2010 team with Wes Johnson and the 2012 team that made it to the elite 8. Both those teams were great teams and would bulldoze teams like Miami.

People seem to forget the 99-00 team that also started 19-0. They were a lock for a number 1 seed and was talked about like this team. That team ended up 26-6.

I see all the posts and hear on the radio how this team is a lock to win the ACC and a no 1 seed. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I will believe it when I see it! With 12 regular season games left, anything is possible.

What teams are "great" this year? Answer: none.

It is a wide open field. We are as good as anybody out there, and have just as legitimate of a chance to win it all as several other teams.

No dominant team this year.

I agree 100% with this. There is a huge difference between this team and the 2010 team with Wes Johnson and the 2012 team that made it to the elite 8. Both those teams were great teams and would bulldoze teams like Miami.

People seem to forget the 99-00 team that also started 19-0. They were a lock for a number 1 seed and was talked about like this team. That team ended up 26-6.

I see all the posts and hear on the radio how this team is a lock to win the ACC and a no 1 seed. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I will believe it when I see it! With 12 regular season games left, anything is possible.
We were in close games in both those years just not as many.

Both those teams blew some teams out but they also needed huge breaks to win games. 2010 needed a huge comeback to beat DePaul. They needed a comeback to beat Seton Hall. Almost blew a 20 point lead to Georgetown. Needed some fortuitous officiating to beat an NIT UConn team. Got completely manhandled by a mediocre Pitt and twice by an average Louisville.

I'll give you that this team isn't as good as the 2012 team. But 2010 was a bit overrated. I'd take this team over 2010 because this one gets up when it's punched nd punches back harder. The 2010 team seemed to panick and folded when it was time to make plays.

I feel like JB keeps games close against both lesser and greater opponents. His late game management has been incredible the last few years. I think that wins us some games for sure.

We are also number two, we have a target on our back every week. That is tough potatoes.

It was a twelve point win against a tough team on the road today. They have a good coach, an athletic team and we beat them by more on their court than on our own. I would say that's a good team getting even better.

In 2003 we were down in the second half of the majority of our games. Something to note.

Yeah, they were the heart attack kids that year during the regular season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom