Personnel in 2022-23 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Personnel in 2022-23

Washington wanted PT and not be a bench piece he was recruited for.
Carey transferred when he got benched and used the injury to protect a year of eligibility.
Goodine didn’t want to sit and he left.
The staff didn’t want to lose Goodine.

Guys aren’t exactly getting pushed out but they are realizing they want to move on.

A guy like Chino might have been told by the staff it would be for the best to leave but he literally did nothing in 3 years here.
Washington is not a P5 level player. At best, he’ll be a role player at a mid major. He was a break glass in case of emergency type. But yes the staff didn’t want to lose Goodine, and I actually think he made a mistake leaving.

Carey has been reallyyyy bad at URI. He’s a walking turnover and can’t finish even against lower competition. Their fans are done with him. I think he ends up at a MAAC or NEC school.
Feel bad for Jalen Carey. He was a top 50 kid. I don’t know what happened with his development. He has the physical tools.

Last edited:
I decided to look this up, because it's been bugging me, and as I've gone through it all, fair warning, I've gotten angrier.

So against Miami the dude plays 23 minutes and puts up a solid line of 7 points, 6 rebounds, 2 steals, and a block. Seems like something to build off of.

WELL YOU'RE WRONG.

Because since then he's appeared in 3 games for a total of 5 minutes.

You know why I question JB's bench management?

Because the 2 minute stint against VPI, an opponent we beat that we didn't really need size for, mattered more for his playing time than the good he did when we were forced to give him some minutes. Remember, it probably wasn't a master plan for Edwards to play against Miami, Edwards came in because Marek got in bad foul trouble very early in that game.

Out of Edward's 10 appearances this season, 6 have been for 2 minutes or less (more on this in a little bit). What exactly is he supposed to show in such brief playing time, often outside of the competitive game flow when the result is pretty much already decided? The dude isn't getting chances. Outside of Miami, he has three shot attempts on the season. Three (3). And this from a guy that last season connected on 19 of 24 shot attempts, or 79%(!).

Which brings me to how little sense this year's numbers make when compared to his playing time last season. I checked it out, want to guess how many games he played in last season? I promise you won't believe it.

So last season, with a healthy Sidibe, and minutes also going to Marek at the 5, Edwards somehow found his way into the game with greater frequency than this season. Somehow as a true freshman with upperclassmen ahead of him he was more prepared to play than in his second year? How is that possible? Really, how?

But it's not just that he got in the game more, he also played more once he was in. Six out of 10 appearances this season he's played 2 or fewer minutes. Last season, in 21 appearances he played 2 or fewer minutes... 4 times. How does that make sense?

It's mind boggling. In a season when we had 2 players soaking up minutes at center, he somehow found a way to have really productive minutes - his per 40s were 13.8 points, 9.7 rebounds, 2.8 blocks, and 1.1 steals. THAT SOUNDS PRETTY FRICKING PROMISING FOR A GUY NEW TO COLLEGE HOOPS. And maybe sounds like a guy that when your senior center goes down with an injury 4 minutes into the first game, might be a dude that's worth investing some minutes in.

But nah, it's cool, we gassed Marek and threw in Frankie Anselem and Jon Bol Ajak for scrap minutes.

So, I really would like to know, what the Hell happened here? What was the plan with Edwards? Because this really doesn't make any sense, and I'm not content with any easy answers because they all indicate another problem elsewhere. Edwards regressed? How and why does that happen? Covid impacts? I'm just not sure I buy it.
Thanks for putting all these details together, Otto. I have been an Edwards fan since last season. I think he has great upside. The media needs to get on JB about why he isn’t playing this kid at all, even though he gave him playing time last season. It’s bizarre. Ask for specifics when he says “he’s not ready.” JB loves his vague generalizations. Ugh.

Thanks for putting all these details together, Otto. I have been an Edwards fan since last season. I think he has great upside. The media needs to get on JB about why he isn’t playing this kid at all, even though he gave him playing time last season. It’s bizarre. Ask for specifics when he says “he’s not ready.” JB loves his vague generalizations. Ugh.
Right.

Based on playing time and depth circumstances, it appears he was much more ready last season.

How?

People are jumping to lots of conclusions about Woody “not being happy” and wanting to “escape” JB. What evidence is there of that? And if Q and Griff both decide to depart, why would Woody not stay and be our other starting forward? At the very least he’d be the key forward sub behind Bras and Benny. If he transfers he’ll likely have to sit out a year.
Why would he want to sit for a second year when he had the talent to start as a freshman? You don’t sit your best freshman and cross your fingers and hope they stick around for when you’re going to give them time, it doesn’t help recruiting one bit.

People are jumping to lots of conclusions about Woody “not being happy” and wanting to “escape” JB. What evidence is there of that? And if Q and Griff both decide to depart, why would Woody not stay and be our other starting forward? At the very least he’d be the key forward sub behind Bras and Benny. If he transfers he’ll likely have to sit out a year.

Because he's frustrated with JB.

As for evidence, well -- you are free to take that information at face value, or not. Up to you.

Last edited:
These threads get more depressing by the year.

Only 2 years ago, we had Battle surprise us and come back for his junior year. A few years ago, CJ Fair did the same. Now we are assuming we lose anyone who has any chance of playing in any pro league, or didn't get enough playing time this year. The offseason is morphing into an awful time constantly anticipating bad news. Jeeze, I'm now worried Benny could jump to the G-league (no evidence, just paranoia)

I realize more players leave early and transfer these days... but still

Because he's frustrated with JB.

As for evidence, well -- you are free to take that information at face value, or not. Up to you.
MCW was frustrated; so was Dion, etc. Hopefully Woody can stick around ...

The list of guys who were frustrated early in their careers then succeeded here is way longer than the list of guys who were frustrated then were successful elsewhere

Washington is not a P5 level player. At best, he’ll be a role player at a mid major. He was a break glass in case of emergency type. But yes the staff didn’t want to lose Goodine, and I actually think he made a mistake leaving.
Where would Goodine be getting minutes this year? At Buddy's expense? Getting the Braswell minutes? I guess he could be filling the same role he is at PC but his path to PT in the backcourt was not optimal here.

The list of guys who were frustrated early in their careers then succeeded here is way longer than the list of guys who were frustrated then were successful elsewhere
If you don’t want to believe RF it’s fine.
He wouldn’t be saying what he is saying if he didn’t know something.

Just because things aren’t spelled out doesn’t mean everything is fine.
I will be happy if we get back one of Braswell or Newton.

If people aren’t going to play why will they be patient if the team is medicore?

If we were going 30-1 like we were in MCW’s freshman season then I bet the frustration would be less for these guys sitting.

We don’t play short rotations to be a NC contender we play short rotations to max out the mediocrity we have been thru.

If people aren’t going to play why will they be patient if the team is medicore?

If we were going 30-1 like we were in MCW’s freshman season then I bet the frustration would be less for these guys sitting.

We don’t play short rotations to be a NC contender we play short rotations to max out the mediocrity we have been thru.
I 1000% believe him ... I just hope Woody reconsiders

I don't know about all that [thanks for the kind words anyway, Alsacs], but there is a disconcerting situation bubbling beneath the surface with respect to Woody. This might not just boil down to a return as a fait accompli because he has a path to start. People can choose to believe that, or disregard it -- I have zero interest in trying to convince any horse that doesn't want to be led to water.

Like jdubs30, I hope he returns.

People asked the same question about Goodine after Carey and Washington left, yet here we are.

I don't know about all that [thanks for the kind words anyway, Alsacs], but there is a disconcerting situation bubbling beneath the surface with respect to Woody. This might not just boil down to a return as a fait accompli because he has a path to start. People can choose to believe that, or disregard it -- I have zero interest in trying to convince any horse that doesn't want to be led to water.

Like jdubs30, I hope he returns.
I just wonder what the goals are anymore inside the HC’s mind?
Are we trying to be a NC, conference contender or just be competitive enough to not be a bottom feeder.

If we want to be good the players need to develop and we need a complete full roster for a couple of seasons.

We just band-aid year after year and bleed out unnecessarily on several situations.

I know your position on the HC but it’s just crazy how some people(not Jdubs but others) can’t realize the problems this program are going thru now are easily correctable but won’t because the HC won’t change.

And then bashes him by saying he didn't start on his varsity team in HS. And people wonder why kids want to leave the program? Do they not listen to the words from JBs mouth into microphones?

And then bashes him by saying he didn't start on his varsity team in HS. And people wonder why kids want to leave the program? Do they not listen to the words from JBs mouth into microphones?
Which isn’t right, but the real question is why a kid is on an acc roster who didn’t start for a varsity high school team. IMG being the school or not.

Winning single games to pad his win total.
See this is unfair. His win total is 2nd alltime I don’t think it’s thought about.
Hammer the legitimate stuff.
My point had to do with his expectations for the program.
His system guarantees he won’t be garbage like UNC was last year.

I was asking are his goals to win the NC or just get into the tournament and basically hope for a run.

He coaches every game like it’s game 7 we all know that. Which I wouldn’t do but that is his mindset.

See this is unfair. His win total is 2nd alltime I don’t think it’s thought about.

I was asking are his goals to win the NC or just get into the tournament and basically hope for a run.

He coaches every game like it’s game 7 we all know that. Which I wouldn’t do but that is his mindset.
I think on the coach's show recaps from SWC recently JB pretty much said it's just about getting into the tournament and then seeing what happens.

Which seems inconsistent to me from an ultra competitive guy like JB. Assuming that really is his mindset, it sounds to me like some rationalization so he can live with the cognitive dissonance between wanting to win every time out and just not actually being able to.

Is it? You even say it yourself when we use a super short rotation even in blowouts and against poor teams. Why didn’t Woody and Frank play against BC? They could’ve both got 10 minutes and we would’ve won, but he won’t even do that? Why? He legit doesn’t trust them for that long against a bottom feeder for the greater good of both players.

Is it? You even say it yourself when we use a super short rotation even in blowouts and against poor teams. Why didn’t Woody and Frank play against BC? They could’ve both got 10 minutes and we would’ve won, but he won’t even do that? Why? He legit doesn’t trust them for that long against a bottom feeder for the greater good of both players.
I get the point but I don’t think he is doing it to pad his win total. He doesn’t need more wins.
I just think he doesn’t think long term which is his problem.
That is the frustration from me.

I get the point but I don’t think he is doing it to pad his win total. He doesn’t need more wins.
I just think he doesn’t think long term which is his problem.
That is the frustration from me.
I probably used the wrong term, he’s trying to win one game at all costs, at the expense of developing the team. This isn’t the first

I probably used the wrong term, he’s trying to win one game at all costs, at the expense of developing the team. This isn’t the first
I agree with that.

He is short planning and not thinking the long game which causes the present to recycle the same yearly.

Last edited:
I think there could some truth to two3zone

I think he wants the vacated wins back from the NCAA to spite them, for example Hop could see it by not letting him build his future roster, and left for UW

BOTH of those guys were thiiiiiiiiiiiis close to leaving.

And that was with having to sit out a full year.

Now, it's gonna be mayhem - everybody thinks they will get more PT elsewhere (see: Carey, Jalen and Goodine, Brycen) and decide to jump.

I really dig Woody, and hope that he's convinced to stay.
But, unless Q leaves (which I'd suggest is highly likely) and probably Marek too, and with Benny coming in, and then there's still AG (who really should be able to get some SG minutes, but - reasons) I can see how he wouldn't like the look of those numbers, and he gone.

Since this thread was originally about 22-23, who freaking knows who's gonna be on the roster by then??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom