Personnel in 2022-23 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Personnel in 2022-23

I decided to look this up, because it's been bugging me, and as I've gone through it all, fair warning, I've gotten angrier.

So against Miami the dude plays 23 minutes and puts up a solid line of 7 points, 6 rebounds, 2 steals, and a block. Seems like something to build off of.

WELL YOU'RE WRONG.

Because since then he's appeared in 3 games for a total of 5 minutes.

You know why I question JB's bench management?

Because the 2 minute stint against VPI, an opponent we beat that we didn't really need size for, mattered more for his playing time than the good he did when we were forced to give him some minutes. Remember, it probably wasn't a master plan for Edwards to play against Miami, Edwards came in because Marek got in bad foul trouble very early in that game.

Out of Edward's 10 appearances this season, 6 have been for 2 minutes or less (more on this in a little bit). What exactly is he supposed to show in such brief playing time, often outside of the competitive game flow when the result is pretty much already decided? The dude isn't getting chances. Outside of Miami, he has three shot attempts on the season. Three (3). And this from a guy that last season connected on 19 of 24 shot attempts, or 79%(!).

Which brings me to how little sense this year's numbers make when compared to his playing time last season. I checked it out, want to guess how many games he played in last season? I promise you won't believe it.

So last season, with a healthy Sidibe, and minutes also going to Marek at the 5, Edwards somehow found his way into the game with greater frequency than this season. Somehow as a true freshman with upperclassmen ahead of him he was more prepared to play than in his second year? How is that possible? Really, how?

But it's not just that he got in the game more, he also played more once he was in. Six out of 10 appearances this season he's played 2 or fewer minutes. Last season, in 21 appearances he played 2 or fewer minutes... 4 times. How does that make sense?

It's mind boggling. In a season when we had 2 players soaking up minutes at center, he somehow found a way to have really productive minutes - his per 40s were 13.8 points, 9.7 rebounds, 2.8 blocks, and 1.1 steals. THAT SOUNDS PRETTY FRICKING PROMISING FOR A GUY NEW TO COLLEGE HOOPS. And maybe sounds like a guy that when your senior center goes down with an injury 4 minutes into the first game, might be a dude that's worth investing some minutes in.

But nah, it's cool, we gassed Marek and threw in Frankie Anselem and Jon Bol Ajak for scrap minutes.

So, I really would like to know, what the Hell happened here? What was the plan with Edwards? Because this really doesn't make any sense, and I'm not content with any easy answers because they all indicate another problem elsewhere. Edwards regressed? How and why does that happen? Covid impacts? I'm just not sure I buy it.
This INFURIATES me. I'm so sick of JB never being asked any real questions and if he is, pressed on his garbage answers. Hey Jimbo, why do our young guys not develop anymore except for a chosen few who are given huge minutes immediately. Why is it rare to see any players on a normal career arc anymore of play a few mins as a fresh, some more as a soph and then possibly move into the starting lineup later on. Seems like guys are either starters or rotation guys immediately upon arrival or never make it. Not sure when that started to happen but don't remember it being the case when we were actually good.

I get the point but I don’t think he is doing it to pad his win total. He doesn’t need more wins.
I just think he doesn’t think long term which is his problem.
That is the frustration from me.
Sorry, but Jim is selfish. He is absolutely trying to get his wins back that the NCAA took. Is that his only goal? Of course not, but it's a HUGE part of why he's still coaching. Add that to the fact that Buddy will still probably be here for 2 more years...

This INFURIATES me. I'm so sick of JB never being asked any real questions and if he is, pressed on his garbage answers. Hey Jimbo, why do our young guys not develop anymore except for a chosen few who are given huge minutes immediately. Why is it rare to see any players on a normal career arc anymore of play a few mins as a fresh, some more as a soph and then possibly move into the starting lineup later on. Seems like guys are either starters or rotation guys immediately upon arrival or never make it. Not sure when that started to happen but don't remember it being the case when we were actually good.
The most direct answer is that Edwards just isn't a good basketball player.

But it's really confusing if that's the case, because he appeared to be better as a younger, less experienced player.

What happened?

The most direct answer is that Edwards just isn't a good basketball player.

But it's really confusing if that's the case, because he appeared to be better as a younger, less experienced player.

What happened?

And, it's not like he's not athletic. He moves pretty well.

I don't believe he's been injured at all.

Ponderous.

Why would he want to sit for a second year when he had the talent to start as a freshman? You don’t sit your best freshman and cross your fingers and hope they stick around for when you’re going to give them time, it doesn’t help recruiting one bit.
I like Woody but I don’t think he had the skill level or muscle to start as a freshman. He wasn’t even a top 100 recruit. I still think he has a bright future here.

Last edited:
I like Woody but I don’t think he had the skill level or muscle to start as a freshman. He wasn’t even a top 100 recruit. I still think he has a bright future here.
Does Marek have muscle?

This thread hurt my eyes. Wow, and it wasn't even brought up what worries me the most. If they pass the transfer rule (immediate transfers without sitting out a year) I wouldn't blame Kadary if he left. He wasn't exactly given the keys to the car. I can't imagine he expected to play 21 minutes a game. Especially, knowing that everyone with the exception of JB and Joe's immediate family thinks he should be playing way more. He could transfer anywhere he wants , pick the correct team with a need and get as much time as his lungs will allow. Haha. We should all keep our fingers crossed that they don't pass the transfer rule.

The problem as I see it now is when Girard looks a little better he leaves his son in instead and it takes Girard out of the game. Part of being a head coach is putting and taking out players when the timing is right to. Not suggesting Girard should get more minutes but at this point

It was interesting listening to Danny Manning on the broadcast. It seems like he would start JG and play him more minutes than Kadary right now as well. He said Kadary isn’t ready to run a team like Joe is.

I like Woody, but did not thing he would/should start. To be honest, I saw him as project forward coming in that could probably contribute in a couple years. After I actually saw him play during the first few games I was like holy ! This kid can play! It felt like we had a peace that could contribute and play that we hadn't counted on before the season started. Some kids are just gamers, their not overwhelmed by the moment and don't realize they're supposed to be. Woody kind of seemed like one of those kids (along with Kadary , who also surprised me)... and to build on what Otto said, Edwards showed he could contribute last season, and with some more development and growth, he would be in the rotation this year (along with Braz).

I might be in the minority, but I LIKE the pieces on this team. After seeing the first 4 games, the potential and options should keep a coach from sleeping because they're excited about the possibilities for the short and long term of this team. Especially for next season I might add.

I'm a big analogy guy so here goes. You can have all the ingredients to make a good cake, but if you don't use the right amounts or leave some out, you're gonna get cornbread!

It was interesting listening to Danny Manning on the broadcast. It seems like he would start JG and play him more minutes than Kadary right now as well. He said Kadary isn’t ready to run a team like Joe is.
Joe wasn't ready to run a team either, until he had to.
Kadary is a better PG than Joe is — right now. Not starting him is inexplicable, unless there is some factor that is important to JB that is perhaps just not visible on the court. I hope it's not the simple matter of Joe having demonstrated he can put up 25 points, given a special night, and Kadary isn't that kind of scorer.

The other thing is that i don't think we've seen the Kadary we would see if he had the same kind of confidence bestowed upon him that Buddy has. Kadary sometimes seems uncertain and sometimes aggressive. He sometimes runs the offense, and sometimes is just a bystander while Buddy or Joe initiates—which is just bonkers. It's a weird position for him to be in, and i think it compromises his performance. I haven't seen anything from him that demonstrates JB needs to coddle him or that it's too much responsibility for him. He has made some dumb mistakes, sure. But, not one player we have has been immune to bouts of stupidity on the court.

There’s no preparing for that
I’ve not only accepted it but I’m planning on it. If you set your expectations really low almost any good news feels like a huge win.

Because he's frustrated with JB.

As for evidence, well -- you are free to take that information at face value, or not. Up to you.
Woody seems to have a good relationship w Red - do we think Red can intervene and smooth things over?

Can Woody take a redshirt this year? Brass will be a Jr next year with Guerrier and Griff. He's in a perfect position to play some 3 and 4 for us, and maybe put on a solid 215 plus. True inside and outside scoring potential. If he was only inside or outside wouldn't care as much. We really need to do a better job developing our inside games though.

Hope they don't just send these kids off to have fun developing what they want on this offseason. Got to work on what is best for their games and the team. Like if I said right now Ajax is as fast as anyone else at forward and the tallest best chance to fill out at the four which is true, is anyone going to work on Ajax/Newtons hands, anticipation, help them to put on 10 pounds of lean muscle, bump with them and help develop their post up games plus Weak side-shotblocking, and run out drills? Telling them to practice center and Long range 3 point shooting only would be a waste. Just another excuse to say they are not ready. Perhaps trying out a little point forward through cones could help Newton and Griff could become a sg/combo point for 10-15 minutes next year.

Last edited:
Can Woody take a redshirt this year? Brass will be a Jr next year with Guerrier and Griff. He's in a perfect position to play some 3 and 4 for us, and maybe put on a solid 215 plus. True inside and outside scoring potential. If he was only inside or outside wouldn't care as much. We really need to do a better job developing our inside games though.

Hope they don't just send these kids off to have fun developing what they want on this offseason. Got to work on what is best for their games and the team. Like if I said right now Ajax is as fast as anyone else at forward and the tallest best chance to fill out at the four which is true, is anyone going to work on Ajax/Newtons hands, anticipation, help them to put on 10 pounds of lean muscle, bump with them and help develop their post up games plus Weak side-shotblocking, and run out drills? Telling them to practice center and Long range 3 point shooting only would be a waste. Just another excuse to say they are not ready. Perhaps trying out a little point forward through cones could help Newton and Griff could become a sg/combo point for 10-15 minutes next year.
He already has a free year due to COVID. Red shirting would gain him nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom