Perspective on Klinsmann 'We can't win World Cup' | Syracusefan.com

Perspective on Klinsmann 'We can't win World Cup'

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Consider Jose Mourinho this past season, continuously telling the English media that Chelsea couldn't win the Premier League last year, that it was a rebuilding season, even though they were in first place for nearly 2 months this spring, and were still in the hunt for the title with 2 weeks to go in the season.

If the best manager in the world can downplay expectations for his side, I don't see why we should hang Klinsmann for it.

I agree. I'm still very split on Klinsmann (because I feel like the LD decision was heavily clouded by personal grudge) but I wouldn't put these comments into my "things against him" bin.

I find the whole thing funny. Nearly noone whines when Belichick mumbles similar things about his teams taking one day at a time, one game at a time, one minute at a time. The comments are nearly the same, Klinsmann just hasn't finished his courses at the 'don't actually say anything but standard no-information responses' sports college yet.

Consider Jose Mourinho this past season, continuously telling the English media that Chelsea couldn't win the Premier League last year, that it was a rebuilding season, even though they were in first place for nearly 2 months this spring, and were still in the hunt for the title with 2 weeks to go in the season.

If the best manager in the world can downplay expectations for his side, I don't see why we should hang Klinsmann for it.
This isn't Europe. different mentality in the US.
Everything he says the more I'm convinced this guy does share one thing with Jose. A massive ego. Klinsman is letting the "ignorant" Americans not to expect a WC title. I know of not one person that follows soccer at all that thought we would win the WC so jurgy just shut up. And yes the Donovan decision came down to a personality conflict. The LD was behind the other players technically is BS.( last part of post was response to cusecpt post not Ithaca )

I agree. I'm still very split on Klinsmann (because I feel like the LD decision was heavily clouded by personal grudge) but I wouldn't put these comments into my "things against him" bin.

You know what? I'm starting to come around to the view that Donovan was a bit self-satisfied. He even gave an interview from the first week of training camp (before he had been cut) where he said (paraphrasing) "At my age, I just can't leave it all on the practice field every day or I'll have nothing left when the games come."

To me, that was a red flag. Our group is going to play games in the Amazon, and in Bahia (northeast Brazil) in locations with the most travel and the hottest, most humid conditions. If Donovan had to pace himself through practices, he wasn't going to be able to play 90 minutes for 3 straight games. I would have liked to have him as a sub, at the very least. But his attitude probably wouldn't have been that great in the dressing room.

And let me say that I was not thrilled with his interview during the preview show yesterday. I think it is horrendous judgment by ESPN and unfair to the national team to have him doing commentary.

Apropos of nothing... I'm not a fan of having foreigners coaching national teams. I'd actually prefer to see us play worse but with American coaches.

You know what? I'm starting to come around to the view that Donovan was a bit self-satisfied. He even gave an interview from the first week of training camp (before he had been cut) where he said (paraphrasing) "At my age, I just can't leave it all on the practice field every day or I'll have nothing left when the games come."

To me, that was a red flag. Our group is going to play games in the Amazon, and in Bahia (northeast Brazil) in locations with the most travel and the hottest, most humid conditions. If Donovan had to pace himself through practices, he wasn't going to be able to play 90 minutes for 3 straight games. I would have liked to have him as a sub, at the very least. But his attitude probably wouldn't have been that great in the dressing room.
not buying it LD played in Chicago 2 wks ago in 90 plus degree heat and went 90 minutes and scored late. there is no evidence whatsoever that he was a locker room problem. Read an interview with Pablo Mastriani and he said the opposite is true and LD often takes time to help younger players. PM played the end of his career with LD in LA. None ofm the reasons I have seen carry any water other then Klinsmann and LD didn't like each other much.

Apropos of nothing... I'm not a fan of having foreigners coaching national teams. I'd actually prefer to see us play worse but with American coaches.
We have actually went backwards as Klinsmann searches for pseudo Americans. One writer said Donovan would have had made the team if he had a German mother.

not buying it LD played in Chicago 2 wks ago in 90 plus degree heat and went 90 minutes and scored late. there is no evidence whatsoever that he was a locker room problem. Read an interview with Pablo Mastriani and he said the opposite is true and LD often takes time to help younger players. PM played the end of his career with LD in LA. None ofm the reasons I have seen carry any water other then Klinsmann and LD didn't like each other much.

Is it so long ago that you don't remember the Sports Illustrated expose of mutiny in the US camp about Klinsmann? That had to be Donovan and Bradley who were most implicated in that article.

We have actually went backwards as Klinsmann searches for pseudo Americans. One writer said Donovan would have had made the team if he had a German mother.

Gone backwards? We set a record for something like 14 wins in a row under Klinsmann last year.

And we won all 3 tune-up friendlies before a World Cup for the first time ever.

I like how we are playing with Klinsmann better but I do think that the LD situation is odd. I would think having experience would be what I would want. Besides if LD wasn't able to go a full 90 why not have him come off the bench. He still plays at a high level. As far as the statement about its unrealistic to win the World Cup, I have no issues with it. It's true at this point and who knows he could be using some Phil Jackson mind trick.

Gone backwards? We set a record for something like 14 wins in a row under Klinsmann last year.

And we won all 3 tune-up friendlies before a World Cup for the first time ever.
totally missed my point and by the way Bruce Arena's winning percentage was close when he was finished and he had less talent at his disposal ( If you believe the US talent level is on an upward curve ) By going backwards i am talking about when Bora and Sampson searched for foreign players with US heritage because they felt out talent pool was very weak ( and it was then ) Arena and Bradley didn't rely on this nearly as much and Arena made it a point to do just that.

Last edited:
you can't win if you can't make it out of the group.

no chance you get through. sorry.

Anyway, we will see. Rooting for Bradley and the boys not the coach. I think he's a p---k but sometimes p----ks do pretty well in sports.

you can't win if you can't make it out of the group.

no chance you get through. sorry.
Your not going out on a limb tnere. the odds are with you. I hope we do but chances are your right. by the way, My grandparents are off the boat Germans, I was brought up on bratwurst, rouladen and octoberfest. I have nothing against Germans. I just think we should try to play with actual American players. Its kind of what the World Cup is about.

Last edited:
Your not going out on a limb tnere. the odds are with you. I hope we do but chances are your right. by the way, My grandparents are off the boat Germans, I was brought up on bratwurst, rouladen and octoberfest. I have nothing against Germans. I just think we should try to play with actual American players. Its kind of what the World Cup is about.
At the same time we aren't the only ones playing with dudes who aren't native to our country. See: Rossi, Giuseppe

Well, not so much with many countries. France, for instance, is full of nationalized players who came from various North African nations that used to be French colonies before WWII. England is drafting players into their national side with split backgrounds, as well.

At the same time we aren't the only ones playing with dudes who aren't native to our country. See: Rossi, Giuseppe
no doubt I'm aware

Well, not so much with many countries. France, for instance, is full of nationalized players who came from various North African nations that used to be French colonies before WWII. England is drafting players into their national side with split backgrounds, as well.
France is a joke. There whole team is from Africa...FIFA should ban this! Where you are born is where you should play!

France is a joke. There whole team is from Africa...FIFA should ban this! Where you are born is where you should play!

So you're saying that if an American serviceman is overseas and has a child, that child CANNOT play for the US, right? Because that's the guys that Klinsmann is recruiting from Germany.

And let me say that I was not thrilled with his interview during the preview show yesterday. I think it is horrendous judgment by ESPN and unfair to the national team to have him doing commentary.

Respectfully disagree on the red flag bit, I think it's just a guy being aware of and responsible with his limitations as he nears the twilight of his career.

Agree 100% on the commentary issue. It's horrible judgment by ESPN to put him into that position, unfair to LD and the team.

So you're saying that if an American serviceman is overseas and has a child, that child CANNOT play for the US, right? Because that's the guys that Klinsmann is recruiting from Germany.
My point: if your dad and mom was born in Myanmar and you were born in Tuvalu you play for Tuvalu.

you mean the giuseppe rossi who will NEVER play in the world cup? i feel bad that i LOVE that fact. not really though. its pretty damned funny.

Respectfully disagree on the red flag bit, I think it's just a guy being aware of and responsible with his limitations as he nears the twilight of his career.

Agree 100% on the commentary issue. It's horrible judgment by ESPN to put him into that position, unfair to LD and the team.

ESPN does this all the time. They brought in Dino Gaudio to do the studio analysis of SU - Wake this past season. Talk about digging up bad memories. They are all about the potential sound bite. Deep down they want LD to rip JK on air if the US blows a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom