Pet Peeve | Syracusefan.com

Pet Peeve

javadoc

All American
I absolutely hate how recruits are referred to now as "N-star WR John Doe" rather than simply "WR John Doe". Hate the labelling, the reliance on nonsense, the laziness. I hate that articles on the P-S site include such labels in their headlines. Recruiting rankings should be mentioned - if at all - as an afterthought in the body of an article, after more relevant considerations such as written offers.

But a headline such as, "Cuse gets visit from 3-star WR" makes me want to puke.

Agree. Give me some production numbers and measurables.

My recent pet peeve is every preseason write up referring to kids as "rising" and then whatever class they are. With all the rising players the team might float away.

Give me 20 two star Alec Lemons over Four star Lavar Lobdell everyday of the week!

Tell me your crank wouldn't move just a bit if it said "5star QB to visit Cuse"

it has definitely turned into something kids pay attention to. these kids follow recruiting services. they know how many stars they have, and who is committed to the schools they are looking at. In some cases perception is factored in. 5 and 4 star recruits attract other 4 and 5 star recruits. Sure it isn't the major factor, but it does seem to have an increasing role.

Love the film on Pet Peeve a class of 2013 5* linebacker visiting the cuse this weekend dude is a beast! Although I do agree hes a bit lazy in his reporting.

Sorry couldnt help it after brock rubble earlier my snap thought was what were this kids parents thinking not what's bothering our dear friend javadoc. Overall I completely agree especially when it comes to the p-s a news paper should be expected to do some back research before running with a story.

It should read:

Ohio all State LB to visit Cuse: class of 2013 Linebacker Pet Peeve will be visiting Syracuse university on an official visit following the scholarship offer received last month from the university. Peeve accumulated 98 tackles (60tfl) and 27 sacks and 5 on field absolute evicerations on his way to all State Honors. When reached for comment Peeve's head coach, coach Christopher Rock described him as "The Real (explitave) Mama JaMa" and immediately dropped the phone receiver. Peeve is Rated a 5* prospect by several recruiting services that shall not be named on this site and has offers from 3000 universities. Peeve's younger brother a class of 2015 recruit Robert Peeve III is a quarterback, who also holds a football scholarship offer from syracuse stated that playing against his "Intense" brother since a young age has "gurded his loins for the rigors of big time division I football." Both brothers are expected to be on campus this weekend.

Agree. Give me some production numbers and measurables.

My recent pet peeve is every preseason write up referring to kids as "rising" and then whatever class they are. With all the rising players the team might float away.

That is my pet peeve as well. If someone had a bad year would he be referred to as a falling senior?

That is my pet peeve as well. If someone had a bad year would he be referred to as a falling senior?
Rising is typically used in the summer, and indicates that the student is "rising" to that class. Technically the student isn't in that class yet and "rising" has nothing to do with their ranking.

I hate how "High School" players are often referred to as "Prep" players. They're kids, not guys in training for a higher level of football.

Rising is typically used in the summer, and indicates that the student is "rising" to that class. Technically the student isn't in that class yet and "rising" has nothing to do with their ranking.
This is correct.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I assume then that if someone is academically in eligible that they are falling or maintaining. The maintaining senior will be headed to Milford before coming to Syracuse. It seems the new crew at the PS have fallen in love with the adjective "rising".

I assume then that if someone is academically in eligible that they are falling or maintaining. The maintaining senior will be headed to Milford before coming to Syracuse. It seems the new crew at the PS have fallen in love with the adjective "rising".
I think the term "rising" has been used for at least ten years, if not longer. It used to drive me nuts until someone explained it to me.