Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Akok: "Give me Syracuse or UConn for Akok Akok. The four-star forward put together one of the better summers that a rising senior could ever dream of, but even before that his recruitment had risen, as some of the best programs in the Northeast had placed a heavy priority on him. The Orange and Huskies are not the only programs in the mix for the unique prospect, as Maryland, Georgetown and Providence are three others that may have a say with where Akok ends up. However, Syracuse and UConn gained some traction in the spring, and that momentum didn’t stall a bit in July. Look for visits to be set in the coming weeks with things coming down to the Orange and the Huskies. I might give the slight edge to the Huskies."

Corey Evans said if he had to guess today Akok would end up at UConn.

On Akok: "Give me Syracuse or UConn for Akok Akok. The four-star forward put together one of the better summers that a rising senior could ever dream of, but even before that his recruitment had risen, as some of the best programs in the Northeast had placed a heavy priority on him. The Orange and Huskies are not the only programs in the mix for the unique prospect, as Maryland, Georgetown and Providence are three others that may have a say with where Akok ends up. However, Syracuse and UConn gained some traction in the spring, and that momentum didn’t stall a bit in July. Look for visits to be set in the coming weeks with things coming down to the Orange and the Huskies. I might give the slight edge to the Huskies."
Akok Achiuwa and Cockburn to UConn? That seems crazy ...

The longer this goes the more i like our chances. Time is against smaller programs like UCONN.

The longer this goes the more i like our chances. Time is against smaller programs like UCONN.
UConn seems to be in it with a lot of guys now. Although so was Ollie

UConns losing traction with Precious and Kofi. I don't believe for a second they go there.

I’m glad it looks like we’re one of the leaders for Akok. But If we lose him to UConn, that would be infuriating. Danny Hurley has zero track record coaching a P5 program. He’s been at mid-majors his entire fairly short career. JB has the track record—42 years worth of experience coaching and developing all different kinds of players, in all different kinds of eras of CBB. He’s seen and done it all, and even though he’s 73, he’s proven over and over again that he knows how to adjust to the times. He knows how to win big and win championships at the highest level. And he’s been there before—a national title, 6 Final Fours, many conference regular season and tournament titles. Do you want to trust your career and possible NBA future with the most proven coaching commodity in college basketball, or with someone who’s never coached a game at the p5 conference level? I just hope our assistant coaches understand the best way to frame and sell JB’s Hall of Fame career. I worry that they’re on the defensive about JB’s age instead of using his unparalleled experience to their advantage. I know recruiting is about relationships but GMac has the relationship here. UConn is a bygone blue blood, now playing in a mid major conference. Our ACC affiliation should trump UConn and most other northeast programs in most cases—all other things being equal. In the end I do think we get this kid and keep him out of UConn’s clutches.

I believe in any sense of the word disaster you would be incorrect. An Italian bridge collapse is a disaster. A high school basketball player committing to UConn not-so-much.

Within the constructs of college basketball, every sense of the word. Come on.

Not to be a troll but don't sleep on Providence. Akok has played with three current top fifty friars and all three have been making their pitch for him. Crystal Ball and others have been showing some love for the friars lately and gaining some momentum. Ed Cooley and the friars are currently on a ten day, four game trip to Italy and when they return they will open the new state of the art practice facility, the Ruane Center. The friars recently received a verbal from top 60 Greg Gantt, a point forward who plays multiple positions. Akok has been to Friartown many times and would be a great fit for them. I don't have any inside information but this should turn out to be a close race.

Not to be a troll but don't sleep on Providence. Akok has played with three current top fifty friars and all three have been making their pitch for him. Crystal Ball and others have been showing some love for the friars lately and gaining some momentum. Ed Cooley and the friars are currently on a ten day, four game trip to Italy and when they return they will open the new state of the art practice facility, the Ruane Center. The friars recently received a verbal from top 60 Greg Gantt, a point forward who plays multiple positions. Akok has been to Friartown many times and would be a great fit for them. I don't have any inside information but this should turn out to be a close race.
Andrew Slater already said Akok is not going to PC

I’m sure that Akok Akok will go to the college that will give him the best coaching and playing time. Strange to refer to a college recruit and not to mention anything about academics or majors. I guess that the motif now days is majoring in basketball.

Question is wherever Akok Akok goes, will he be a 1-2 and done or a 4 year player? Regardless of his high skill level, I feel that his physique lends more to be that of a 4 year player and I hope that he goes to Syracuse. Ever since I viewed videos of his shooting and shot blocking skills (not to mention his ball handling skills and leadership skills) back last winter and this spring, I wanted him to play for Syracuse.

I’m sure that Akok Akok will go to the college that will give him the best coaching and playing time. Strange to refer to a college recruit and not to mention anything about academics or majors. I guess that the motif now days is majoring in basketball.

Question is wherever Akok Akok goes, will he be a 1-2 and done or a 4 year player? Regardless of his high skill level, I feel that his physique lends more to be that of a 4 year player and I hope that he goes to Syracuse. Ever since I viewed videos of his shooting and shot blocking skills (not to mention his ball handling skills and leadership skills) back last winter and this spring, I wanted him to play for Syracuse.
Not sure he will be at any college for 4 years...his skillset screams NBA.

if i'm running a program, i would assume that any player in the top 50 - maybe top 100 - is no more than 2 and done. then plan accordingly when recruiting future classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom