Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait did Akok commit to Providence or take us out of consideration?

Whats this rabble about
No but there's folks that seem to think he's a Provdence lean.

No but there's folks that seem to think he's a Provdence lean.
There’s no time table for a commitment, or at least a date. He could be leaning Uconn next week if he has a good phone call and then back to whoever else in a month. Recruitment with top 30 players is frustratingly fluid.

What we know now is his commitment is not likely to happen in the foreseeable future, but our coaches and JB personally are full speed ahead on him.

I feel good with where we are and if this recruitment continues into the fall, its not great for us but its much much worse news for providence and uconn imo.

It was 17th at one point. Either way I know if we don't get at least one of our top guys you will complain.

And you have to admit 3 of those guys were better than their scouted ranking. Oshae. Marek. Bourama.

If rankings were everything Villanova wouldn't have any titles.

Now back to Akok Akok.

I hope we get Akok. Great player that fits our system. If we land a top 20 class that includes a 4 or 5 star center I'll be ecstatic, and you won't catch me complaining.

As for the players in the 2017 class, I loved Oshae when we recruited him, and openly said I thought he was underrated. Sidibe looked promising in the little bit we got to see of him. Verdict is still out. Marek has tons of potential, but it took him until nearly the end of the season to really contribute the way we hoped he could. I expect him to be better this season.

Last edited:
Clearly those pundits were wrong. People put way to much stock in crap that doesn't make a difference. But but but jerry Meyer saidddddd..

I didn't claim it was accurate. I corrected an incorrect claim that we had the number 15 rated class. Certainly they're not full proof. Lots of guys are ranked inaccurately. But they do have some value, and are at the very least a measuring stick for talent.

SU should be able to land a top 20 class in 2019 with the number of vacancies and being off sanctions.

Last edited:
I didn't claim it was accurate. I corrected an incorrect claim that we had the number 15 rated class. Certainly they're not full proof. Lots of guys are ranked inaccurately. But they do have some value, and are at the very least a measuring stick for talent.

SU should be able to land a top 20 class in 2019 with the number of vacancies and being off sanctions.
I'm saying, who's top 20?? In my mind marek dolejaz was a better option for our school than Michael porter. Who would have given us a top X class but we'd have not been as good.

Why am I the only person uninterested in this kid
I don’t get it

I agree with you that recruiting is different than it was 20 years ago...

But...

We have people on this board that routinely post that we WILL get a top class. They blame recruiting woes on sanctions (which I'm sure didn't help). They boast that we're back. They deny that JB's age is a factor. They post they have confidence, and claim insider information. AND they rip anyone who suggests that they don't share the same confidence to shreds. I've seen it time and again.

Then when it appears that we may lose a recruit that we've been prioritizing, all the excuses come out. So let me repeat, I don't care if we get Akok or not if we still land an elite class.

What I'm saying is... they can't have it both ways. A top 20 class is absolutely within our standards at SU. I didn't say top 5. I'm not expecting us to compete with Kentucky or Duke, but I do expect our class to be better than that of Providence. I also expect it to be a in the upper echelon of the ACC.
All reasonable expectations.

I'm saying, who's top 20?? In my mind marek dolejaz was a better option for our school than Michael porter. Who would have given us a top X class but we'd have not been as good.
That's a very hard question to answer. And there is no way to go back and plug a Porter Jr (to use your example) and know how the team would fair. The only measuring sticks we have are the rankings. Are they always right... of course not. But I'll take a top 100 kid over a kid outside the top 300 the majority of the time. The rankings are not meaningless.

That's a very hard question to answer. And there is no way to go back and plug a Porter Jr (to use your example) and know how the team would fair. The only measuring sticks we have are the rankings. Are they always right... of course not. But I'll take a top 100 kid over a kid outside the top 300 the majority of the time. The rankings are not meaningless.

Marek was a 4 star player.

We would have been worse cause Porter barely played.

Wouldn't have made the tournament.

Marek was a 4 star player.

We would have been worse cause Porter barely played.

Wouldn't have made the tournament.
It wasn't my example. My point is that it is impossible to plug in any player in Marek's place and know with any certainty how it would've affected the team. That's speculation. But I'll take the top 100 player over a top 300 player almost every time. There really isn't a viable reason to miss out on a top 20 class in 2019.

Last edited:
Part of the reason people get up in arms defending JB is that people come out of the woodwork and start to sound like the sky is falling when someone (with unknown credibility) declares that one of the guys we believe is a top target might be leaning a different direction:

How about waiting until the target actually makes a decision, or better yet, until the class is complete so you know whether it was truly a fail. People want to make a declaration long before the returns are in and it’s....trying to be nice here...annoying

Part of the reason people get up in arms defending JB is that people come out of the woodwork and start to sound like the sky is falling when someone (with unknown credibility) declares that one of the guys we believe is a top target might be leaning a different direction:

How about waiting until the target actually makes a decision, or better yet, until the class is complete so you know whether it was truly a fail. People want to make a declaration long before the returns are in and it’s...trying to be nice here...annoying
I getcha. But I haven't made any declarations. I haven't said Akok (or any other player) is leaning one way or another. I consistently say I think a top 20 class (and in 2019 an elite big) is needed. Others posited that he was a Providence lean. I just want to win. I want JB to go out with his middle finger held high at the NCAA. That doesn't happen unless we can compete with the big boys and get a great class.

Also this message board is for debate. It's to discuss the team. People have every right to post opinions. That includes those that are flattering of the team/staff and those that are critical. People speculate every single day about players. It's only an issue when the speculation isn't a consensus viewpoint. That's not right. That defeats the entire point of having a message board. If we all agreed there would be nothing to write.

I can love SU and JB and not agree with every strategy employed. I can love SU and JB and not like every guy we recruit. I can love SU and JB and not think we're recruiting to SU standards. They don't negate each other.

Why do we have to be so black and white. I really do want the same outcome as everyone else... that's SU cutting down the nets one more time with JB at the helm. And I'm also "trying to be nice."

Also in regard to your statement about people posting with "unknown credibility" how does one ascertain credibility on an anonymous message board? I'm not foolish enough to use anything (other than my city) that can identify me or my connection to the basketball world.

Last edited:
Rankings are meaningless when you are recruiting outside the US and Canada and guys who play just in Canada. Our incoming class was not the issue last year. The issue was injury and the loss of Thorpe. We still managed to reach the sweet 16 which was the most likely high end for last year's team anyway albeit we went through a tougher regular season than expected due to the above mentioned. Given how good Oshae was alone, how good Sidibe was pre injury and even post injury when he had any legs at all paired with the Growth and impact Marek had during the tourney and to say we didn't have a top 20 class is crazy. Howard Washington was a 4 star kid as well who wasn't quite ready for show time but wasn't awful either before he got hurt.

Rankings are meaningless when you are recruiting outside the US and Canada and guys who play just in Canada. Our incoming class was not the issue last year. The issue was injury and the loss of Thorpe. We still managed to reach the sweet 16 which was the most likely high end for last year's team anyway albeit we went through a tougher regular season than expected due to the above mentioned. Given how good Oshae was alone, how good Sidibe was pre injury and even post injury when he had any legs at all paired with the Growth and impact Marek had during the tourney and to say we didn't have a top 20 class is crazy. Howard Washington was a 4 star kid as well who wasn't quite ready for show time but wasn't awful either before he got hurt.

I'm not busting on the 2017 class. Oshae was great. I haven't seen enough of Sidibe. Marek has a high IQ, but struggled until the end of the season when he seemed to gain confidence. The team overachieved and made a nice run in the tournament. It was tremendous and was IMO one of JB's finest coaching jobs.

However, I think it's unreasonable to say (and impossible to determine) just how far we could've gone in the tournament if we'd landed a top 20 class.

Btw, Howard Washington was a three star recruit rated at #289.

Howard Washington, Syracuse, Point Guard

https://n./content/prospects/2017/howard-washington-500

Last edited:
I'm not busting on the 2017 class. Oshae was great. I haven't seen enough of Sidibe. Marek has a high IQ, but struggled until the end of the season when he seemed to gain confidence. The team overachieved and made a nice run in the tournament. It was tremendous and was IMO one of JB's finest coaching jobs.

However, I think it's unreasonable to say (and impossible to determine) just how far we could've gone in the tournament if we'd landed a top 20 class.

Regarding Howard Washington, I think he was only ranked that low because he prepped in Canada his last year. I'm pretty sure he was ranked higher when he played in the states and at one point was considered one of the top "pure point guards" in his class. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that was his situation.

Regarding Howard Washington, I think he was only ranked that low because he prepped in Canada his last year. I'm pretty sure he was ranked higher when he played in the states and at one point was considered one of the top "pure point guards" in his class. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that was his situation.
That may be true. But there were a LOT of people that viewed him as a consolation prize when we landed him. Many questioned if he could compete in the ACC.

I agree this is supposed to be about Akok. I hope we can get him, or someone else as good. Fingers crossed.

Howard Washington, Syracuse, Point Guard

https://n. /content/prospects/2017/howard-washington-500

This is in hindsight and the same thing applies to Howard Washington regarding his ranking due to being in Canada. He was ranked higher when in the states.

If we get a top 20 class on paper they could easily bust or not be ready to fully contribute as needed. We had 3 guys ready to contribute out of 4 this past year which absolutely is what you would expect with a top 20 class. What it really sounds like is you think we need a top 5 class if you are thinking we need a class far and above 2017. Reading between the lines here but top 20 is absolutely what we had this past year just a string of bad luck and a lack of experienced depth.

I don't care what Washington's ranking was...it doesn't take long watching him play to see the amount of potential he has as a floor leader. We can talk all day long about landing the stud players, and yes we need them, but it's been proven that more often than not, every champion has an upperclassman just like HW!

Status
Not open for further replies.