Class of 2017 - PF Billy Preston (VA) to Kansas | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PF Billy Preston (VA) to Kansas

HoustonCuse said:
And we have seen the ending of that movie before. Spoiler Alert: the boat sinks. Bloop!

The comforting thing is, he is at Oak Hill, a legit prep school and coach Smith will make sure his grades are in order, if humanly possible.

Is there really much to take out of the fact that he's taking an official to Syracuse? After what was posted in the Green thread about him supposedly taking officials simply to get free trips out of it, I'm a little hesitant to think that Preston taking an official to SU actually means much, especially given what Francis has said about the whole Under Armour and name drop thing.

asj410 said:
Is there really much to take out of the fact that he's taking an official to Syracuse? After what was posted in the Green thread about him supposedly taking officials simply to get free trips out of it, I'm a little hesitant to think that Preston taking an official to SU actually means much, especially given what Francis has said about the whole Under Armour and name drop thing.

You think the kid was just wanting a free trip to Syracuse, NY?

You think the kid was just wanting a free trip to Syracuse, NY?

Just playing Devil's advocate a bit here! No need to start throwing logic into this! :p

asj410 said:
Just playing Devil's advocate a bit here! No need to start throwing logic into this! :p

I know what you are saying, I was just goofing. He could very well be just going for the ride, but I think he is worth a shot. Who knows, maybe something changes and we land him.

Look at his list of other suitors. We fit right in at the top of possible destinations. We have a liitle history w/ Oak Hill. Late snag type of recruit. there may or may not be qualifying issues. coach may have been down at Oak Hill for Coleman and coach Smith may have directed our staff to give a serious look and offer. Keep am open mind and let it play out...

The comforting thing is, he is at Oak Hill, a legit prep school and coach Smith will make sure his grades are in order, if humanly possible.
I think the problem will be his school prior to OH.

I do find it a bit interesting that the staff is willing to take a chance on this kid when he apparently may have some issues getting cleared.

asj410 said:
I do find it a bit interesting that the staff is willing to take a chance on this kid when he apparently may have some issues getting cleared.

One would have to assume JB has talked to Steve Smith about Billy Preston the athlete, person and student and the likelihood that he qualifies. And he feels good enough to go after the kid.

OttoinGrotto said:
Am I off thinking he has a really similar game to McCullough?

I think Preston has a better handle and he is much more aggressive. McCullough had a better deep shot, while Preston's strength seems to be midrange and in. My SU comparison is Billy Owens, but maybe that is just a Billy thing.

Preston is Tim Thomas for me. Has some muscle, not as thin as McCullough, good midrange. Owens was a better playmaker than both Thomas and CMac.

I can see the comparison with how they attack the rim. Thomas came into college with the ability to shoot at long range. Preston has a slow looking release on the jumper and doesn't appear to have a lot of range. He's also bigger than Thomas. To me Preston has a SF game without the long range jumper in the body of a PF.

Last edited:
I can see the comparison with how they attach the rim. Thomas came into college with the ability to shoot at long range. Preston has a slow looking release on the jumper and doesn't appear to have a lot of range. He's also bigger than Thomas. To me Preston has a SF game without the long range jumper in the body of a PF.

Thomas was a pretty diesel 6'9-6'10 coming into Villanova, no? People thought he had an NBA ready body at an early stage I thought.

Thomas was a pretty diesel 6'9-6'10 coming into Villanova, no? People thought he had an NBA ready body at an early stage I thought.

I thought he was 6-8 but he was certainly well built for a freshman.

Edit: just googled and you are correct he's listed 6-10 everywhere I can find it.

I thought he was 6-8 but he was certainly well built for a freshman.

Edit: just googled and you are correct he's listed 6-10 everywhere I can find it.
All I know is, Tim Thomas was no Keith Van Horn.

Dang...although the kid has a name that reminds me of Blue Chips. The kind that you find yourself under investigation for.

LOL, we won't be under investigation but the NCAA will be looking at his scholastic records.

All I know is, Tim Thomas was no Keith Van Horn.

Van Horn had a shorter but more productive career if memory serves. I think Thomas was a disappointing rebounder in the NBA for his size. I'd say Van Horn was a more consistent shooter as well although I'd bet neither was overly impressive in overall FG%.

Van Horn had a shorter but more productive career if memory serves. I think Thomas was a disappointing rebounder in the NBA for his size. I'd say Van Horn was a more consistent shooter as well although I'd bet neither was overly impressive in overall FG%.
I don't think either of them lived up to their potential, definitely not Thomas, but I made the comment because they were traded for eachother twice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom