Class of 2021 - PF Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (PA) | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PF Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (PA)

The sanctions have ZERO to do with us as a CBB team now. Our perception on the recruiting trail does though.
I agree, but they did effect us at the time and a few years after. And, in that time, cheating was taken to a new level. That left us in the dust, in my opinion.

Our sanctions were meant to set us back, way back. And, they did. The sanctions on other teams are pathetic, they do nothing. Louisville just keeps cheating and it doesn't matter, they don't skip a beat.
We are the only ones who were sanctioned twice and didn't get a new coach. If you don't think that had something to do with it you are being naive.

We are the only ones who were sanctioned twice and didn't get a new coach. If you don't think that had something to do with it you are being naive.
If you think complying with NCAA didn't have more to do with it, you are being obtuse (thank you Shawshank).

I agree, but they did effect us at the time and a few years after. And, in that time, cheating was taken to a new level. That left us in the dust, in my opinion.
Cheating by other programs isn’t the only issue. It’s certainly not the biggest one

Cheating by other programs isn’t the only issue. It’s certainly not the biggest one
I agree with that, too. But, anyone expecting us to compete with Duke, Kansas, UK...or any of those high level cheaters doesn't understand what is going on. We can be in the second tier with effort and strategy by our coaches. I don't think we have a big time recruiter on this staff though. I think they are alright, but I don't think we have a Troy Weaver.

I didn't say that though. You claimed they destroyed SU and still are hurting us.

Losing people to the portal was not the sanctions.

Carey, Goodine, T. Thompson, Geno Thorpe, and others were not related to sanctions.

Who we brought in this past year that couldn't get us a winning season wasn’t the sanctions.
The argument for why the sanctions are still hurting us is that we lost recruiting momentum, which is really hard to get back. But that’s partially on JB. He wasn’t aggressive enough in recruiting during the early sanctions period. He should’ve expected guys would leave early or transfer, as they often do. We needlessly lost Kevin Huerter, an upstate kid who should’ve played at Cuse. We asked him to prep for a year but he reclassified and went to Maryland. Our coaches knew SU was very likely to win the appeal (they did) and/or some guys would leave, which is what happened (Kaleb Joseph and others departed). In fact we had to bring in two grad transfers that season (White and Gillon) and still had room. JB imo is way too lackadaisical in roster management and talent acquisition. He always thinks he can make it work, but the past 5-8 seasons shows otherwise, and yet he still hasn't really adjusted.

Last edited:
The argument for why the sanctions are still hurting us is that we lost recruiting momentum, which is really hard to get back. But that’s partially on JB. He wasn’t aggressive enough in recruiting during the early sanctions period. He should’ve expected guys would leave early or transfer, as they often do. We needlessly lost Kevin Huerter. He reclassified. But they were very likely to win the appeal (they did) and/or some guys would leave, which is what happened (Kaleb Joseph and others departed). In fact we had to bring in two grad transfers that season (White and Gillon) and still had room. JB imo is way too lackadaisical in roster management and talent acquisition. He always thinks he can make it work, but the past 5-8 seasons shows otherwise, and yet he still hasn't really adjusted.

Agreed.. Unnecessary misses that had nothing to do with sanctions.

I didn't say that though. You claimed they destroyed SU and still are hurting us.

Carey, Goodine, T. Thompson, Geno Thorpe, and others were not related to sanctions.

Who we brought in this past year that couldn't get us a winning season wasn’t the sanctions.
Destroyed was specifically past tense. They did destroy the teams from 2015 until the end of sanctions with the limited scholarships.

Destroyed was specifically past tense. They did destroy the teams from 2015 until the end of sanctions with the limited scholarships.

2016 was a final four team with two big time frosh. The others I mentioned were recruiting misses of highly rated guys. We landed Battle as well. Not sure destroyed is the proper word here. Impacts? Yes. That said sanctions didn't choose who we brought in as frosh and ended up struggling.

2016 was a final four team with two big time frosh. The others I mentioned were recruiting misses of highly rated guys. We landed Battle as well. Not sure destroyed is the proper word here. Impacts? Yes. That said sanctions didn't choose who we brought in as frosh and ended up struggling.
How many misses could we have backfilled, or how much depth could we have brought on over those years to fill those question marks had those scholarships been available to bring additional people on? How much did the sanctions tarnish Syracuse’s reputation to the non-fans? How were teams using it as a tool to recruit against them? It’s not a black and white issue.

I added more context, I didn’t mean to post before my comment was completed.

Here is the thing. Sanctions did impact us. What you are doing though is painting excuses via the sanctions for everything that happened that wasn't good since 2015. I mean come on. That is absurd to me. The staff has to hold a good share of ownership for guys not working out or guys we didn't get. Here we are today being very careful not to recruit over guys and you want to point to the inability to do exactly that because of sanctions. It doesn't add up.

Here is the thing. Sanctions did impact us. What you are doing though is painting excuses via the sanctions for everything that happened that wasn't good since 2015. I mean come on. That is absurd to me. The staff has to hold a good share of ownership for guys not working out or guys we didn't get. Here we are today being very careful not to recruit over guys and you want to point to the inability to do exactly that because of sanctions. It doesn't add up.
What doesn’t add up is someone acting like an action taken specifically to hurt a program didn’t hurt the program lol. Those issues don’t just magically float away the day after the sanctions expired. The results in those years lead to a decline in the programs position, which lead to less interest from top recruits who wanted to “win now,” which in turn leads to worse results and so on and so on. If those sanctions were never handed down, Syracuse is in a very different position. That doesn’t absolve the staff of their recruiting issues but you can’t just act like the sanctions had no lasting impact.

What doesn’t add up is someone acting like an action taken specifically to hurt a program didn’t hurt the program lol. Those issues don’t just magically float away the day after the sanctions expired. The results in those years lead to a decline in the programs position, which lead to less interest from top recruits who wanted to “win now,” which in turn leads to worse results and so on and so on. If those sanctions were never handed down, Syracuse is in a very different position. That doesn’t absolve the staff of their recruiting issues but you can’t just act like the sanctions had no lasting impact.

Here is the thing. I'm not doing anything you are alleging not even close. You are so far over the top on the other side of this. It's fine you can believe the sanctions are the primary reason we had a drop off. That to me is hogwash but you are entitled to that opinion.

Agreed.. Unnecessary misses that had nothing to do with sanctions.
Not to mention Jalen Brunson and others who wanted to come here but we declined to pursue. The Brunson dropped-ball is just astonishing. And we never took advantage of the MCW family relationship with Marcus Zegerowski and instead pursued Jalen Carey. That’s a total evaluation mistake by the staff but those can happen. It’s all just incredibly frustrating.

Here is the thing. I'm not doing anything you are alleging not even close. You are so far over the top on the other side of this. It's fine you can believe the sanctions are the primary reason we had a drop off. That to me is hogwash but you are entitled to that opinion.
Especially when the coach knowingly doesn’t use all his scholarships anyway

Agreed -- we had several key misses that would have changed how the last 7-8 years would have unfolded. Thomas Bryant. Quade Green. Kevin Huerter. Landing any 1 of them would have been massively impactful.
darius bazley

Carey, Goodine, and Thorpe? Who cares?

SH tampered with Thompson.

The only time we recruited on a Duke/UNC/Kentucky/Kansas level was in the late 80's. The two probations certainly had an impact on that. It's hard to get into the recruiting fast lane when you're trying to avoid getting in trouble again. We got sloppy on somethings that really had nothing to do with recruiting and get nailed again. But we haven't been wheeling and dealing for years. Most of our guys have been under-the-radar types. A few have "blown up" and when they do we have a hard time holding onto them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom